Crazy but true story of how this pauper got the girl and hifi equipment...Where there's a will, there is a way even for the poor hifiman >:D
Mar 15, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #76 of 109

Quote:
There is hope for everyone......

...*runs away sobbing*
redface.gif

I need to learn the Piano ASAP

I like those Atheistic leanings you've got going there my friend! Very true! There is only truth in this world, don't pay attention to these people who have to convince themselves of farfetched tales and wishful thinking.

P.s. what is it with this "signs" crap? Now blood type? Really? None of that means anything, it's your MBTI personlity type that tells the story.

I was just reminded of what happened yesterday, i saw this really pretty girl as a cashier, my type of girl....i was so nervous that it was just awkward silence as i paid for my item
blink.gif
Then you know when they hand you the change? Sometimes your hands touch? I usually try to avoid it, but this time i was hoping i would at least get that, but nope
confused_face_2.gif
*runs away*

I know what you mean, and that silence is multiplied as you start wondering if this should happen(not talk) when you do this, where you should look, how you should act. Whatever.. and all that stuff.. man it sucks..our demographic...geez...

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #77 of 109

Quote:
I like those Atheistic leanings you've got going there my friend! Very true! There is only truth in this world, don't pay attention to these people who have to convince themselves of farfetched tales and wishful thinking.

I'm not sure who you're talking too, but this seems like it might have been directed at my previous comment. I'm not sure I would call myself an atheist, but I agree there is only one truth. Well, technically we can't really know if there is an objective reality, but the only practical way to behave is as if there is one. Everyone's raised to believe that they're "entitled to their opinion," but opinions don't exist. Until people realize that, we will continue to have war and conflicts.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #78 of 109

Quote:

I'm not sure who you're talking too, but this seems like it might have been directed at my previous comment. I'm not sure I would call myself an atheist, but I agree there is only one truth. Well, technically we can't really know if there is an objective reality, but the only practical way to behave is as if there is one. Everyone's raised to believe that they're "entitled to their opinion," but opinions don't exist. Until people realize that, we will continue to have war and conflicts.

I'm not really anything,...probably agnostic to Atheist but definatley not Christian..ewww. None of those religious ....religions. You are only a Christian if you follow every single thing in the Bible from old to new testament. And thus that would mean unless you are the best monk in the world.

Anyway...................................... jeez...sometimes I get very depressed too.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #79 of 109

Quote:
I'm not really anything,...probably agnostic to Atheist but definatley not Christian..ewww. None of those religious ....religions. You are only a Christian if you follow every single thing in the Bible from old to new testament. And thus that would mean unless you are the best monk in the world.

Eh. Jesus' Earth-applicable ideas are actually not really objectionable, but they seem to get completely ignored in favor of the theological and mythological aspects.

Anyway...................................... jeez...sometimes I get very depressed too.

Sorry to hear it. I can relate. Living in a world that blames you for your problems doesn't help either. I got to the point of clinical depression when I was 17-18. Nowadays I'm pretty much ok on a day to day basis. I guess listening to and creating music helps me keep sane. It comes back sometimes though, not unlike having a panic attack. Just remember that there are other people who have  tread similar paths, and understand.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #80 of 109

Quote:

Eh. Jesus' Earth-applicable ideas are actually not really objectionable, but they seem to get completely ignored in favor of the theological and mythological aspects.

Sorry to hear it. I can relate. Living in a world that blames you for your problems doesn't help either. I got to the point of clinical depression when I was 17-18. Nowadays I'm pretty much ok on a day to day basis. I guess listening to and creating music helps me keep sane. It comes back sometimes though, not unlike having a panic attack. Just remember that there are other people who have  tread similar paths, and understand.

I was severely ..and I mean..so so so so so so fricking clinically depressed from my mid freshmen to mid sophomore year of high school. You can just imagine how i felt, how ti wouldn't have mattered if i was here or not. Am I worthy what my parents have put me through, all the stuff i know is useless. And really, all that are my current feelings but heavily amplified. I knoww that i don't have many people if any at all to rely on outside of family, i feel presure, does tech even really matter? what about social life? can i trade? but im still optimistic on my future from now on :) It's sad how us tTech geeks go through such similar things, you rarely hear about it or see it on forums, that's why i like this post, it brings regular techies and shows a side that you can relate too and know you are not alone in :)

Heck...i haven't been "out" for so long that going to best but to test out a set of consumer heapdhones the other day got me anxious as i had small fear on not wanitng to go out and not i nteracting, what to do, and all that. haha. i was at the heapdhone island at best buy had my E17 and dock and ipod out(didn't bring my own heapdhones) some "headphone" guy there walks over and asks if i want help, looks(side glances) at my device a few times and when i said no, had that...you know what look on his face(don't know how to describe it) lol

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #81 of 109
Sorry I brought this into the whole equation.  To each his own--I tried to stop believing and was speeding the opposite direction until a string of crazy luck/coincidence started happening one after another until I finally couldn't deny a higher being's direct involvement.  The whole blood type thing isn't one of them--that was just an interesting tidbit -_-  Anyway, I hope each of you finds your path or lack thereof if you'd rather believe everything is just entropy.  No sarcasm intended.   At very least, I hope you find a way to pull out from depression--I think I've been there before. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #82 of 109

Quote:
Sorry I brought this into the whole equation.  To each his own--I tried to stop believing and was speeding the opposite direction until a string of crazy luck/coincidence started happening one after another until I finally couldn't deny a higher being's direct involvement.  The whole blood type thing isn't one of them--that was just an interesting tidbit -_-  Anyway, I hope each of you finds your path or lack thereof if you'd rather believe everything is just entropy.  No sarcasm intended.   At very least, I hope you find a way to pull out from depression--I think I've been there before. 

Where did you bring it into the equation? I think I may have had something to do with it. Sorry if we're kind of derailing your thread, haha. I hope I personally didn't say anything that makes it sound like I am putting down anyone's beliefs. I don't disrespect anybody for that. When it comes to the big questions, which as far as we know are unprovable, I think everyone chooses whatever idea is most aesthetically pleasing and/or comforting. I was raised Christian from birth. My grandparents were missionaries, for Christ's sake (literally). As weird as it sounds to some people, I find a more materialistic view of the world to be spiritually comforting and quite beautiful. I also think it's more constructive in regards to the cessation of human suffering.

EDIT: Oh wait, I get it the blood type thing is from the original post. I guess I've been responding to posts that had nothing to do with me? Hahaha. 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #83 of 109

Quote:
Hey Hyogen!

I've got several things to say :p
First and foremost, I want to congratulate you on your beautiful story, the brilliantly written and constructed OP, pictures, and the nice youtube song (which i listened to)

I got some questions/thoughts though...
You proposed after only 6months?
I've heard of many people doing that, but never understood it

I've been with my girlfriend for 2.5years and love her to bits - and would love to marry her, but the timing at my age (20 & hers at 22) isn't right atm - maybe its a cultural thing - possibly - but I also find that I still learn things about her, even till this day :)

For your "no luck with girls" bro - having 2 relationship ( i think it was) for over 4 years each is not "unlucky"
I grew up and NEVER had a proper relationship till the one I have now.

As a kid i preferred (quite sadly) games over girls.
I never saw the need to be with a girl or hook up with one.
As I grew older (in my college years) i felt shy and was just like you: I couldn't look at a girl - I still can't in fact - but i think mentally that's due to me being in a relationship rather than anything else.

You would be surprised seeing me in a club - I had NEVER danced before, NEVER taken any lessons - but always had that "spirit" of dancing. I ended up dancing my heart out in clubs - around girls, and I was shocked (and still am) that girls approach me in clubs due to my dancing. (started clubbing only 2 yrs ago - 1st yr of university)
FYI: I have NEVER walked up to a girl or EVER done the "first move". Not bragging just sayin' how shy i am.
I go to clubs to enjoy the DJ (more often than not sucks) and the music/atmosphere

Your wife looks beautiful - and both of you look great together, but just a thing about your headphone/spending addiction:
Try not to blow it by spending too much.
I saw you bought and sold - and I have to say i salute you for buying those items at that price - truly impressive.
But try not to blow a lot of money or else your wife might start getting annoyed (inside of her) and never tell you.

Instead of spending $200 on headphones, try treating her out to a nice theatre or a trip. Honestly, that little trip, as small as it is - goes a long way.
I'm no guru, and I'm sure you know better - but still worth mentioning :)

-Chris

Chris,

I've gotta get right back on the study horse--final in a few days, but I'll answer what I haven't already.  I proposed around 11 month mark.  I knew her for exactly 6 months and then she went back to Korea as originally planned.  She had actually planned originally to stay in Portland for 3 mo, and then New York for 3 months--but I was able to persuade her to just visit NYC for 2 weeks :)  We had a long distance skype/phone/letter relationship everyday for about 5 months until my winter break when I flew over to see her and meet her parents.  I stayed in Korea for almost 3 and a half weeks and proposed the day after Christmas.  Still a pretty short dating period, I know--but we spent pretty much every hour together while we could.  The other big difference is that she was 24 and I was 27 when we met.  Everything just felt so right.  We were both each other's 3rd relationship--sorta like the 3rd times the charm.  We got quite a bit of opposition from both sets of parents.  Her parents didn't want her to get married so young and didn't want her to continue the education she had worked so hard to get up till then (she was studying for a Master's program).  My parents opposed because they knew I wasn't financially able to support a family (that's part of the miracles that kept happening for me).  As you might imagine with 2 sets of asian parents--there was quite a bit of misunderstanding going on back and forth, but fortunately everything worked out by that summer when we got married with everyone's blessing.  We got married after she turned 25 and I was 29--a 4 year difference which is actually said to be very "ideal" in Korean culture.  Having dated someone a year older than me and also a girl who was several years younger, at least in my own experience I would agree. 

That's really cool how you discovered your own natural ability/passion in dance.  I was born with very little dancing ability and I'm also not very good with keeping rhythm--I have to try really hard to concentrate.  As for me and video games--I was never allowed to play them or own them when I was a kid or lived at my parents house.  So when I moved off to college and bought my first console (original xbox) and discovered the game Counter-strike...I was glued to them like no other. 

Again, thanks and I truly hope things can work out between you and your girlfriend.  I know you said you'd be willing to move with her--and I'm sure I would be as well if I were in your shoes.  If I have any advice for you--follow your heart and don't give up.  It may take you showing up at her door after she moves back for her to realize just how much she needs you in her life. My wife told me that it was really after leaving to Korea and being away from me that she realized that she could marry me.  You'll have to go above and beyond to make any long distance relationship work.  Sending of "care packages", letters, buying phone cards and calling and skyping everyday, and having a plan for the future. 

Good luck man! 

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #84 of 109

Quote:

Quote:

Where did you bring it into the equation? I think I may have had something to do with it. Sorry if we're kind of derailing your thread, haha. I hope I personally didn't say anything that makes it sound like I am putting down anyone's beliefs. I don't disrespect anybody for that. When it comes to the big questions, which as far as we know are unprovable, I think everyone chooses whatever idea is most aesthetically pleasing and/or comforting. I was raised Christian from birth. My grandparents were missionaries, for Christ's sake (literally). As weird as it sounds to some people, I find a more materialistic view of the world to be spiritually comforting and quite beautiful. I also think it's more constructive in regards to the cessation of human suffering.

EDIT: Oh wait, I get it the blood type thing is from the original post. I guess I've been responding to posts that had nothing to do with me? Hahaha. 
rolleyes.gif

hehe, no worries at all.  I don't deny that there needs to be blind faith involved, but that's what faith is--it wouldn't be faith if you had all the facts right off the bat :)  I can respect your view and what it means to you.  This is just a thought-- I think materialism on maybe a grander scale leads to taking advantage of people, countries, etc and people can suffer as a result.  Just an example is the war and killing a mineral used in the construction of the highly in-demand Sony Playstations caused.  http://towardfreedom.com/home/content/view/1352/1  I think the natural human inclination for greed is what causes suffering and don't think that'll ever change--which I think kinda explains the paradox of "if God exists, why do bad things happen to innocent people?" 

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #85 of 109
*Rant warning. Apologies in advance.* 
tongue_smile.gif

The reason I say a more materialistic view is more constructive is because of the following. If we acknowledge that we are physical objects living in a physical universe which is governed by natural laws, it means we have the power to manipulate the world around us to our advantage. I'm not talking about the advantage of any individual human beings (which is what causes today's problems), but to the benefit of all human beings everywhere and the planet we live on.

I don't believe people are greedy by nature. I believe people are greedy because of the type of environment they were raised in and the type of society we live in. Money especially is a main cause of greed and corruption, because it allows individuals and groups to artificially manipulate the distribution of resources to the profit of some and the detriment of others. Imagine, what would happen if all the money in the world suddenly disappeared tomorrow? Would the human race go extinct because they could no longer buy food? No! Food would still exist. Money's got nothing to do with it. It's not money or "jobs" that people need, but resources. We have the technology and the means to provide every human being on Earth with all the necessities of life and more. Think about it: if everyone was raised in an environment where they had unrestricted access to an education and all the resources they ever needed, there would be no reason for anybody to feel greed, envy, etc. 90% of crime would simply stop existing. War (with the possible exception of holy war, which stems from an analogous lack of information) would have no reason to exist. Poverty? What's that? People aren't greedy and criminal because material objects exist, or because they were just "born that way." Rather, they become greedy and criminal because they don't have access to the material objects (resources) they need/want.

Really, somebody stop me if I'm being annoying. I enjoy debating certain issues and topics, maybe a bit too eagerly sometimes, and I realize other people don't always feel the same. 
redface.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #86 of 109

Quote:
Again, thanks and I truly hope things can work out between you and your girlfriend.  I know you said you'd be willing to move with her--and I'm sure I would be as well if I were in your shoes.  If I have any advice for you--follow your heart and don't give up.  It may take you showing up at her door after she moves back for her to realize just how much she needs you in her life. My wife told me that it was really after leaving to Korea and being away from me that she realized that she could marry me.  You'll have to go above and beyond to make any long distance relationship work.  Sending of "care packages", letters, buying phone cards and calling and skyping everyday, and having a plan for the future. 

Good luck man! 

Cheers buddy!

And here are 2 of my dance videos :D
(rocking the XB700's in one of them)
This got quite a few views...i have no idea why

I personally like this one with the XB700's

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #88 of 109

Quote:
Holy crap dude, you're good! That's awesome.

many thanks bro!

All self taught + practising in 2 places:
-In my room freestyling
-In a club :D!

I wish i could be with my dance buddy back at school now - his now at his uni in the UK, winning cups/medals for dancing in a crew!
Wish i could do that :frowning2:
(I need more practice...MUCH MORE)

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #89 of 109

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck man! 

Cheers buddy!

And here are 2 of my dance videos :D
(rocking the XB700's in one of them)
This got quite a few views...i have no idea why

I personally like this one with the XB700's

wowww... haha that's awesome...very fluid/liquid like.  i can see why girls would just come up to you when you're dancing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back