Crazy but true story of how this pauper got the girl and hifi equipment...Where there's a will, there is a way even for the poor hifiman >:D
Apr 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #91 of 109
i'm on my last day of spring break and i've been doing a little buying/selling.  

the Nexus S which I have been using as my main player ($75 on CL because at the time it had a bad ESN), I'm selling right now for $210!

My wife's phone...the Droid RAZR--sold that yesterday for $315 and scored a 32gb microSD in the deal for free and bought a Galaxy S2 (epic touch), which she preferred for $210.

The Little Dot MK3 that i bought from a guy here isn't here yet...!  It's been a month since I paid...I'm not worried though since I can get my money back.  I think I'm gonna order the Fiio E17 while I can tomorrow and see what happens with the little dot.  

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #92 of 109
I'm currently in the process of a little buying/selling cycle as well. 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #94 of 109
Sold an iPod Touch and have my Cube DAC for sale. The combination of it and my AD2000s produces a weird static electricity problem, so I'm going to try something else. I'm thinking of waiting for Nwavguy's ODAC and ODA to come out, see what happens.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #95 of 109
Hehe... I am already gonna sell the vita. Too uncomfortable in my hands for game playing.. Way too bulky to use as an mp3 player. It's a nice piece of tech but just not something I am gonna use much to justify having. I also found out the original psps all had the wolfson dac also.

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #96 of 109
My 3DS might suffer a similar fate. 
rolleyes.gif
 Last year I started getting back into video games again, but that was when all I had were some A700s that I listened to straight out of my laptop. Once I started moving up with the headphone gear, I listened to music more and more, not to mention I couldn't afford games anymore. Since my band has gotten a lot busier too, I pretty much don't touch the 3DS at all. I'm torn though. On the one hand, I think of cool new audio gear I could potentially fund, but on the other the 3DS is downright the most charming device I've ever owned. Selling it would be kind of a jab in the heart, haha.

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #97 of 109
did you know you could get an r4/r4i (not sure which one specifically) card in there and dl and play ALL DS games?  :p  as far as I know, you can't download 3DS games though (yet).
I was tempted to jump on another crazy cheap price on a Vita....but I still have another phone to sell and possibly the iPod..   must...focus... on school......

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #98 of 109
Just thought some who have read this might like to know this forgotten, but very significant detail.   

This is probably one of the most profound things that happened in all of this, which I forgot to mention until now.  The reason why she chose Portland, Oregon instead of some other city like Vancouver, BC, or more popular US town like San Francisco or Los Angeles was for the very fact that, being the very diligent student that she was, she wanted to be immersed in a town that did not have many Koreans.  When making her choice for what city to go to for 3 months, and then 3 months in NYC, she asked in a forum what city someone could recommend for being safe and having a low Korean population.  I was the first person she met besides her host family 2 days after she stepped off the plane.  

So quite some time has passed since writing this first post--and I've done way too much trading and buying and selling.  Unfortunately distracting me from my studies--what can I do to stop the proliferation and mutation of this head-fi/hifi disease?????

Sold the Trends tube amp, got the Fiio E17, 
Sold wife's Droid RAZR due to battery life and irreplaceable battery - got her the Galaxy S2 instead
Sold my Nexus S, bought iPod video 5.5gen-----just sold/shipped today.
About to get a Cowon J3, but considering another Galaxy S phone - probably Captivate or Vibrant this time since they have 16gb built in + a memory slot
Selling my yamaha music mp3 recorder, bought Roland R-05 wav/mp3 recorder from Head-fi member...
Bought and sold a couple more phones that I bought while working.
I might be forgetting some more......but even more time wasted researching and thinking about buying/selling........   :'(  

Bought and sold PS Vita (which I bought when I found out it had a Wolfson DAC and sold 3 days after--too uncomfortable for hands even for gaming) - been trying to sell my modded PSP-3000 which also has the Wolfson...  Someone chop off my hands right now...!!!!!!!!!  

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #100 of 109

Quote:
  Unfortunately distracting me from my studies

I'm with ya there, I'm about to start College an I did a MAD DASH for scholarships with the sole pourpose of getting some FREE CASH for MORE HEADPHONES, for better or for worse I'm not much of a buyer & seller or Technology... I like to Keep ALL OF IT... although I do give it away some times

Also glad you shared your story! I feel you in the "heart your sleeve" thing, I'm also in that same boat, but thankfully I got my first gf for 7'th grade for all of... 2 weeks of silent treatment xD
Still I'm glad you were able to lose the w8 you wanted to ditch along with some other bad habits. I was over w8 through most of my childhood, only until 11'th grade [2 years ago] did I start to diet and WORK OUT... it's  a great feeling when your able to better your self... even better when you have some one who can benifit from all the self improvement! [which I still lack T.T]

Finally, happy to hear you LOVED the dt880 I've been thinking about getting them myself for a while now, seeing as my current can is MAD dark and KILLS most Classical Jazz and Folk >.>

non the less thanks for sharing your story :3

May 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #101 of 109
Quote:

Quote:
  Unfortunately distracting me from my studies

I'm with ya there, I'm about to start College an I did a MAD DASH for scholarships with the sole pourpose of getting some FREE CASH for MORE HEADPHONES, for better or for worse I'm not much of a buyer & seller or Technology... I like to Keep ALL OF IT... although I do give it away some times

Also glad you shared your story! I feel you in the "heart your sleeve" thing, I'm also in that same boat, but thankfully I got my first gf for 7'th grade for all of... 2 weeks of silent treatment xD
Still I'm glad you were able to lose the w8 you wanted to ditch along with some other bad habits. I was over w8 through most of my childhood, only until 11'th grade [2 years ago] did I start to diet and WORK OUT... it's  a great feeling when your able to better your self... even better when you have some one who can benifit from all the self improvement! [which I still lack T.T]

Finally, happy to hear you LOVED the dt880 I've been thinking about getting them myself for a while now, seeing as my current can is MAD dark and KILLS most Classical Jazz and Folk >.>

non the less thanks for sharing your story :3

sorry for the late response.  thanks a lot :)  Enjoy your time in college!  What an awesome new chapter of your life this can/will be.  It's what you make of it.  I'm almost 30 trying to go back and it's at least 3x harder than I remember it being back then.  Not only because of my age and diminishing brain cells, but because the competition seems way more stiff nowadays.  Way more people try really hard I think....!  Must be the horrible economy for the past several years D:

May 19, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #102 of 109
Nice story, man. I once lived in rainy Portland and I still miss it a bit (but not the rain!). Your story touched a nerve with me because I'm getting married next week all the way out here in Saigon and I couldn't be happier. I can't imagine life without her and my in-Iaws are really warm and respectful people. I made a few purchases before we become officially married - a pair of 1964 Quads (Portland's finest) that'll be reshelled up north at UM, a J3, and a Pelican case...after that, I'll be on a tight leash, but I think I'll be quite happy for a long time (I haven't tried any benchmark products like the HD800 to send me into insatiable upgradeitis mode). My bride-to-be told me that her great aunt and uncle are in town for the wedding and that they want to buy a gift for me and I jokingly said, "Headphones!" She said that would be fine! I'm not going to take advantage of it - I'll get something more practical that we can both use, but it brought a smile to my face. Take your wife out for brunch at The Screen Door on East Burnside and you'll want to high-five me later...I wish you a long and happy marriage, Hyogen.

May 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #103 of 109
Thanks and congrats Doublelea :D  I need to get us OUT of here...but spending so much time on headfi will not help me.  Both of us are getting sick of the rain (I didn't mind it so much before).  If I could get into OHSU I think that'd be a different story..  I have taken her to Screen Door and we both love it. I think we might like Pine State Biscuits a little more due to the portions--we get way too full from Screen Door.  Where are you two going to make your home? 

May 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #104 of 109
We're going to be in Saigon for the foreseeable future, but I think someday we'll make the move state-side to a more peaceful place - I grew up in the suburbs of Connecticut, and it doesn't seem so bad now that I've spent 3 years in the biggest city of a developing country - it ain't easy.

May 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #105 of 109
what are you doing there?  the least stressful thing for me to do at this point would be to move to korea and be an english instructor.  I don't really have that option though -_-  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back