Crackling in left speaker when bass is put through it
Aug 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheBananaMan

Head-Fier
I have no idea what happened, it started about 2 weeks ago. I bought an SRH840 in early July and I thought I heard some noise through my left speaker whilst listening to some music on youtube and I thought it might be panning or something but Im hearing minor crackling again and again when i listen to bass-heavy music. I used the standard Sony psp earphones on the same part but heard nothing on the left side with the Sony earphones.

So I found some bass heavy music, and played it on Foobar with the bass turned up even more through the EQ and then I could DEFINITELY hear something like crackling in my left speaker, whilst the right side was normal. Any advice? Should I take it back to the shop? And how did this even happen, did I do something wrong with my headphones?

EDIT: Could this have been caused by listening too loud on headphones, I mean does that damage the headphones if I listen to it too loud?

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 7
What source material are you using? The crackling sound could be a result of overcompressed music (Youtube, low-bitrate MP3s...) combined with too high volume levels. Do you have any well recorded CDs or lossless audio files? If yes, listen to these. If the crackling still occurs, it could be a defective driver.

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
What source material are you using? The crackling sound could be a result of overcompressed music (Youtube, low-bitrate MP3s...) combined with too high volume levels. Do you have any well recorded CDs or lossless audio files? If yes, listen to these. If the crackling still occurs, it could be a defective driver.

I thought it might be from low quality music because i havent heard crackling from my CDs, but why would it only be in the left speaker then? Wouldnt there be crackling in both speakers if sound quality was the issue?

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 7
Have you tried unplugging and reseating the cable that goes into the cup?  That can be a problem with that type of cable.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 7
Speaking of crackling left driver issue, it's already happened twice for my XB500 in less than a month due to a piece of hair (these pushes more air than anything else I've tested and probably the most bassy headphone that exists). That's really one of the most annoying things, I've started concidering going baldhead just like some other headfier I've read about some time ago, then the issue would go away and I wouldn't have to worry about blown driver which wouldn't really suprise me from my EQ settings though. xD

I wonder why the hair always gets stuck in left driver for me though, was the same thing with my Sennheiser HD 212 Pros, lots of times I removed a piece of hair that was causing this crackling sound with heavy bassnotes, ALWAYS left, probably around 7-10 times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back