COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
Aug 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #496 of 542
I hope this is the right place for my question and excuse my ignorance.  I just purchased a z2 but it doesn't recognize folders as an artist (although it seems to recognize sub-folders under an artist as albums, depending on which icons you press on the music screen).  I have wav files on my computer (Mac and PC).  I've tried to search here in this forum and on google if there is a way to tag wav files.  The responses are mixed but they seem to say it can't be done.  I don't want to convert to another type file...I want to keep them as wav.  Can anyone help... is there a SIMPLE way to tag my wav files so I can upload them on the z2 (even if I need to download another music player on the z2)? Thanks!

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #497 of 542
Quote:
I hope this is the right place for my question and excuse my ignorance.  I just purchased a z2 but it doesn't recognize folders as an artist (although it seems to recognize sub-folders under an artist as albums, depending on which icons you press on the music screen).  I have wav files on my computer (Mac and PC).  I've tried to search here in this forum and on google if there is a way to tag wav files.  The responses are mixed but they seem to say it can't be done.  I don't want to convert to another type file...I want to keep them as wav.  Can anyone help... is there a SIMPLE way to tag my wav files so I can upload them on the z2 (even if I need to download another music player on the z2)? Thanks!

Wav files can't be tagged. If you must have lossless on your Z2, then convert to FLAC. Wav is a waste of space when FLAC is available as an option.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #498 of 542
Thanks, Achmedisdead.  I figured as much.  However, I prefer to keep my files as wav.  I did just as  muscular does with her files, I organized my songs by folders (folder-artist, sub-folder-album(s) containing songs).  This works if go through directory (media, music, artist folder, album sub-folders) and it seems to recognize the sub-folders as albums, but it doesn't recognize the folders as artist.  So, not too bad but I miss the artist info not coming up when playing a song.

Now another issue:  I can't get the Z2 to connect to google store to try another music player like neutron.   As suggested, I downloaded the APK file, installed it, but in setting up the exchange account, it says it cannot connect to the server.  I have tried all settings and called my internet provider, but still can't get it to set up?  I have an android phone and have no problems with connection. Did I miss something? Any suggestions?  I appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #499 of 542
Quote:
Thanks, Achmedisdead.  I figured as much.  However, I prefer to keep my files as wav.  I did just as  muscular does with her files, I organized my songs by folders (folder-artist, sub-folder-album(s) containing songs).  This works if go through directory (media, music, artist folder, album sub-folders) and it seems to recognize the sub-folders as albums, but it doesn't recognize the folders as artist.  So, not too bad but I miss the artist info not coming up when playing a song.

Now another issue:  I can't get the Z2 to connect to google store to try another music player like neutron.   As suggested, I downloaded the APK file, installed it, but in setting up the exchange account, it says it cannot connect to the server.  I have tried all settings and called my internet provider, but still can't get it to set up?  I have an android phone and have no problems with connection. Did I miss something? Any suggestions?  I appreciate any help.  Thanks.

What you missed is that the Z2 and its predecessor the D3 are simply underpowered hardware-wise for Android devices. And if you don't want to use the stock player with the BBE sound effects, then what is the point of buying a Cowon anyways? 
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #500 of 542
All that battery issue is gone now ever since my last post on the Z2 and since then I havent had any issues with it ***crosses fingers***

It sounds really good with the Digizoid Z2, if you'd like extra bass. Not that the systems eq are bad, but there's so much to chose from :)

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #501 of 542
I inserted a 64 Gb micro SDXC UHS-1 card into my z2 and formatted to FAT 32, but when I connected it to my mac, it says disc not readable by this computer.  When I open z2 folder there is no sub-folder for the card.  Can someone tell me what is the problem? Thanks.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #504 of 542
Quote:
UPDATE:  The 64 Gb card is not recognized on a mac.  I have Parallels (windows application) on the mac and the external drive is recognized using it.

Try exFAT ! pretty sure it is read-write on both MacOS and Win : http://lifehacker.com/5927185/use-the-exfat-file-system-and-never-format-your-external-drive-again
confirm you can read it on Z2, but I believe my card came as exFAT formatted.
Worth trying!
--- still be careful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT#Disadvantages ---

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #505 of 542
Thanks, Domdom for the suggestion.  I formatted the card as FAT32 because it was previously suggested that a 64 gb card should be formatted as that.  On the other hand, I remember seeing exFAT in the properties when I put connected it to a PC.  So, I'm not sure what is going on there.  In any case, I think I can live with it like this since I have Parallels on my mac and it works fine.  But I will keep it in mind to try later. 

But I have another problem related to the card.  I have copied songs to the card and the z2 recognizes the songs just fine.  However, I have installed poweramp on the z2 and while it works with the songs on the internal memory, it doesn't recognize any songs that I have on the sd card!?  I've rebooted the z2 but still no recognition.  I've submitted this on a "poweramp" forum at another website, but I thought I would ask if anyone else here who has poweramp on their z2 has this recognitions problem with their sd card? Thanks!

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #507 of 542
Quote:

This may help you a little although I have never used WAV files but some of the info may apply to you. Forgive me giving you a link rather than typing it all out again. 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowon-Plenue-Lecteur-Ecran-Bluetooth/product-reviews/B007S6KI38/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
My review is by Erin - 4th down.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #508 of 542
Thanks for the reference, AnnaB.  You're right, there seems to be a good discussion on this issue.  I don't think there is much to do about the tagging issue for wav files.  I'll just have to edit the tags ONE-AT-A-TIME, which is a real pain.  I wish Poweramp had Batch editing, but at least it has editing.  The Z2's default player and Neutron have no editing at all.  Thanks, again for the info.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #509 of 542
In MediaMonkey, the album art is easy:

Are you aware that you can set all of the album art to automatically be sent to the folder as cover.jpg, folder.jpg, albumart.jpg (or anything else you want)?

You set it under Tool>Options 

Then you select the device and hit Configure,

Once in the Configure screen, you go to Options tab

Then Select Tagging- The first option on that screen lets you sync all of your artwork to the folders.

There are other tagging options as well.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #510 of 542
  --

But I have another problem related to the card.  I have copied songs to the card and the z2 recognizes the songs just fine.  However, I have installed poweramp on the z2 and while it works with the songs on the internal memory, it doesn't recognize any songs that I have on the sd card!?  I've rebooted the z2 but still no recognition.  I've submitted this on a "poweramp" forum at another website, but I thought I would ask if anyone else here who has poweramp on their z2 has this recognitions problem with their sd card? Thanks!

You should check your poweramp settings, like the music folders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back