COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
Feb 10, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #481 of 542
Quote:
With the advancement of cellphones are players like Z2 still relevant? I currently have HTC One X+ and it does all this player does plus more (comes with 64GB on board) so I am just trying to figure out why people still buy separate DAPs ? Does a DAP give you A LOT better sound quality then high end cellphones  ? 

I have had top end smart phones and I have not had one yet that has SQ as good as a dedicated media player. I will always want a separate device for music. I don't want to be hooked up to my phone when I'm trying to relax or sleep.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #482 of 542
Quote:
Hi,
Your saying to higher the priority of poweramp on the z2 : how do i make it : the music is choppy and i pretty sure it's because power amp has a low priority for the cpu....any hint would be more than appreciated....

Regards

Simon

Sorry I can't answer this question. You have gone beyond my technical knowledge.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #483 of 542
Quote:
Hi, I'm hoping somebody can help out a noob here. After reading through this thread I'm under the impression...

The 'stock' player on this device does not support gapless playback or playlists.

It is possible to install your android music app of choice to remedy this situation.

My questions is... is the superior sound quality of this device due to it's 'stock' player? If so, if you end up using poweramp or playerpro or some other android player, is the SQ basically no better than what you're getting on your regular android phone using this same player?

Thanks for any info. Cheers.

It is possible to install android music apps to allow gapless playback and playlists however the huge problem for me is that this limits the max volume output substantially and EQing it can easily lead to distortion. I would gladly switch to an android app if this was solved because the stock app isn't as intuitive as some of the other ones plus lacks the things you mentioned and also I can't see a way to view file details through the stock player

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #484 of 542
Has anyone had a problem with PowerAmp scanning media folder library? I just got it installed and have been trying to get it to play my music files, but every time I boot up PowerAmp it'll start scanning my library and get about half way and stall.I can't figure out what is going on...maybe it takes a long time for the player to scan through 16GB of FLAC files? Idk. Anyone else have this similar problem?

May 13, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #487 of 542
i own a z2, i was in it because ipod wasn't using wolfson chips.

Mine is in a drawer since i finally decided to go into old ipod direction.....

I find that the z2 in android is bad.

If you're interested i can sell it cheap, it's a white one 16gb + a 64gb micro sd.

Do you listen to mp3 or flac ?

Because with flac it's bad....unless you use another player than the player that comes with it: power amp is good.

But for me it's really a piece of crap, even tought it's brand new

May 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #488 of 542
I find the z2's sound quality is so far superior to ipod! If i get another z2 then its got to be black and at least 32 gb. I don't have a problem with andriod just think its silly that you can't create playlists.

May 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #489 of 542
maybe if you compare with an ipod 5.5 you'll change yor mind: that's what i did.

Anyway it's only a matter of taste.

The z2 is everything but stable..., the native player isn't able to play gapless albums (in 2013 ?)

I've an ipod 5.5th generation, that i bought used for 500$ (yes) , sound separation, depth, warmth is incredible to my point of earing....and if you walk....commands are so intuitive.

You can easily open it, replace the hard drive by an ssd or a sd....(that's what i did)

No bells and whistles: only music (alac), and great sound.

I don't wanna start a big mountain around the subject, only my humble opinion

I've already owned a cowon j3 that died within 3 months, a cowon z2 that is unable to play gapless (unless you use another music soft like power amp)....

that doesn't worth the bucks you pay for it.

I must recall myself next time i'm tempted to buy a cowon to slap me in the face.....ok there's something great: the oled screen (wich is great), but for music you don't need it.

regards
Simon

May 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #490 of 542
Quote:
It is possible to install android music apps to allow gapless playback and playlists however the huge problem for me is that this limits the max volume output substantially and EQing it can easily lead to distortion. I would gladly switch to an android app if this was solved because the stock app isn't as intuitive as some of the other ones plus lacks the things you mentioned and also I can't see a way to view file details through the stock player

You do know that you should do the following:

1) Close all non- using apps (pictures, e-mail, etc)
2) Open the MIc App
3) hit the home button on the bottom menu.
4) Open you gapless music app of choice.

This helps eliminate the volume limiting bug on the Cowon D3.

Let me know if it works on the Z2

May 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #492 of 542
Pretty much anything is better than the stock player, and theres lots of options now
neutron, poweramp, deadbeef, gonemad, rocketplayer, and the list goes on... and thats not to mention squeezeplayer or upnp capabilities.

I even find cowon's own Jetaudio Plus to be far superior to the music player.

Oh and replace the stock launcher while you're at it, I find it to be absolutely dreadful.

May 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #493 of 542
  That's true.
Actually the best thing one can do is find a cowon j3 brand new.....i used to own one, but the screen died 2 months after i bought it....
their buttons are for really small fingers.

The j3 was simply a pmp, but it was really great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back