COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
Sep 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #361 of 542
Short story: for perfect quality, only one choice so far, stock app, all other are (with right headphones or in-ear) noisy, with hiss and background noise.
Stock app probably access hardware in a manner that 3rd party player dont.
I have been looking around hoping for a fix but it hasnt come out yet, some defaults of Z2 have not yet been fixed and Cowon probably doesnt really care, they have their own agenda ... sorry
We just have to be patient ... too bad we dont get the same app as J3 app which was just what we need.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #362 of 542
Been eying this for a while.
Just pulled the trigger on the 16gb model and a 32gb card.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #363 of 542
Quote:
Short story: for perfect quality, only one choice so far, stock app, all other are (with right headphones or in-ear) noisy, with hiss and background noise.
Stock app probably access hardware in a manner that 3rd party player dont.
I have been looking around hoping for a fix but it hasnt come out yet, some defaults of Z2 have not yet been fixed and Cowon probably doesnt really care, they have their own agenda ... sorry
We just have to be patient ... too bad we dont get the same app as J3 app which was just what we need.

Weird, opposite for me.  With stock app I get bass distortion, no noise/hiss.  With Neutron Music Player, while the volume is lower, I have no bass distortion and no noise/hiss.  I compensate the low volume with a CMoyBB.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #364 of 542
Quote:
Hi, I've got a volume and distortion problem with non-stock music player apps. I can get a much louder sound with the stock music player and absolutely no distortion whatever the volume. Whereas with foreign players, such as PowerAMP and PlayerPro; distortion with the bass is apparent when at a high volume and they seem to have a volume cap too. What's weird though is that once I click on the stock player while playing music from another app the distortion diminishes and the volume pumps up as if I am using the stock app. Does anyone else have/had this problem and do you know of a way to fix it so I won't be restricted to the stock app, I mean the apps are fine to use in quiet areas but outside it's just not enough.

Have you tried the D3 fix?

That is:

1) open the Mic App
2) Go to home page
3) play non-stock player

It works wonders on the D3 for me, especially with Jetaudio app.

Also, If you use even 1 BBE effect, the volume stays slightly higher as well.

Sep 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #365 of 542
Quote:

That is:

1) open the Mic App
2) Go to home page
3) play non-stock player

I remember seeing that fix on another forum and tried it but to no avail, I attempted it again using your instruction's but still it's not doing anything, must not work on the Z2 unfortunately, thanks anyway.

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #367 of 542
Quote:

That is:

1) open the Mic App
2) Go to home page
3) play non-stock player

Same here, still messy with 3rd part and stock player is far from being great, only the audio quality is there, which is whats important but the rest ... no comments :frowning2:
(still pissed and will think twice when buying Cowon next time)

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #368 of 542
Wow! I just got my Z2 today. Compared to the touch it's no contest. The Cowon is an amazing player(listening to a little Radiohead)
It has been a learning curve though. It's my 1st android device. Getting google play to work was a labor of love... But it's all set up working great.
I'm a happy camper.
Got it with a 32gb microSD. Now I need a 64gb :0)

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #369 of 542
Quote:
Hello,

I'm hoping the spring only responds with resistance when the entire card is almost fully inserted into the slot and then the spring engages to lock the card in place.   I was trying to be very careful when I attempted to insert the card into the slot with the sandisk lettering facing upward like the screen and so when  I did not get any resistance after inserting the card almost too far into the slot to be able to recover the card with my finger nail I stopped sliding it into the slot and pulled it out (without any resistance at all).  I'm hoping the resistance only happens when the card is just about fully inserted into the slot and that the resistance comes just at the last second of insertion when the spring engages the card (the click) so as to lock it in place.

I'm probably just not inserting the card far enough (with sandisk card lettering facing upward along with Z2 screen) into the slot to get the spring/lock to engage for fear of not being able to get the card out with a fingernail grasp.  I'm hoping this is the case.  I just need confirmation (from a Z2 owner that has successfully installed microSD) with regard to how the card needs to be inserted and when the spring resistance comes into action.   I had the card inserted almost too far to be able to remove the card using my fingernail and the little edge built into the card.   I'm hoping that the slot was designed so the card could be inserted far enough into the slot to allow the user to completely replace the USB cover.

I've only been working with the Z2 for the last several days.   I noticed the first time I opened the Z2 with my computer that there is an empty folder named LOST.DIR in the Z2 root.    I've not deleted any files or folders/directories from the Z2 nor have I installed any Android programs at all so I found this issue a bit of a concern.  

The Z2 came with firmware 3.31 so I upgraded the firmware to 4.35 (Found on CowonGlobal.com).   The firmware upgrade worked flawlessly and I've had no problems/glitches since the upgrade.   The firmware upgrade is the only change I've made to the Z2.   So I'm left wondering why a folder labeled LOST.DIR is on the Z2?    

There was a small picture displaying the orientation of the microSD card, u shud have seen that before inserting ur card.
Just to reassure u, the golden parts shud be facing down.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #370 of 542
Quote:
Wow! I just got my Z2 today. Compared to the touch it's no contest. The Cowon is an amazing player(listening to a little Radiohead)
It has been a learning curve though. It's my 1st android device. Getting google play to work was a labor of love... But it's all set up working great.
I'm a happy camper.
Got it with a 32gb microSD. Now I need a 64gb :0)

Does 64G micro SD works for Cowon Z2?
Does Z2 has the similar sound signature like J3?

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #371 of 542
Quote:
Does 64G micro SD works for Cowon Z2?
Does Z2 has the similar sound signature like J3?

From what I have read, yes. 64gb works.
I don't know. This is my 1st Cowon product, but it's better than the ipod touch.

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #373 of 542
One discovery I made today is the Z2 has weak wifi capability compared to the touch.
I can mow my entire yard listening to Pandora on the touch without a hitch, but today I couldn't get through doing the yard without the cowon conking out on me.
I guess I'll use the touch for lawn duty and the cowon for everything else. I'm not doing any real listening when doing yard work anyway.
I didn't try the radio. Hmmmm forgot about it. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #374 of 542
One discovery I made today is the Z2 has weak wifi capability compared to the touch.
I can mow my entire yard listening to Pandora on the touch without a hitch, but today I couldn't get through doing the yard without the cowon conking out on me.
I guess I'll use the touch for lawn duty and the cowon for everything else. I'm not doing any real listening when doing yard work anyway.
I didn't try the radio. Hmmmm forgot about it. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Haha, yeah... the Ipod Touch is an inferior SQ product compared to the Cowon. But I have fond memories of my Touch still. Congrats on picking up your first Cowon (was my first too!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back