COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
Feb 12, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #76 of 542

Quote:
Izzi, I bought one and it arrived today but I'm having a little bit of trouble in that it's only reading the tags for the first half or so of the music I put on there (starting at O, it doesn't read any of the tags).  The rest is still on the hard drive and playable if I go in by folder, but can't sort by artist/album/etc.  Did you have any problems like this?  Or does anyone more familiar with android than myself know why this might be the case and how to fix it?  It could always be user error, but I need to know what error I'm making if I need to fix it.

Download Mp3Tag and check the tags: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #77 of 542

Quote:
Izzi, I bought one and it arrived today but I'm having a little bit of trouble in that it's only reading the tags for the first half or so of the music I put on there (starting at O, it doesn't read any of the tags).  The rest is still on the hard drive and playable if I go in by folder, but can't sort by artist/album/etc.  Did you have any problems like this?  Or does anyone more familiar with android than myself know why this might be the case and how to fix it?  It could always be user error, but I need to know what error I'm making if I need to fix it.

Hey

I don't know any kind of problem that has to do with it. You also see it in the video.
I think you have a problem in the list itself...anyway, I can also feel it's an android issue.
I will also send you a link to an update from COWON Korea. YOu should download it...

Cheers
Izzi

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #78 of 542

Quote:
Download Mp3Tag and check the tags: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I'm trying it now, but I have a hard time believing it's an issue with the tags themselves since I'm dragging them all from the J3 which viewed them fine, and since originally posting it, I realized it's only happening with the internal storage, not the micro sd card I have.

Thanks Izzi, I downloaded the update.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #79 of 542
Using mp3tag to remove and re-add the tags for a handful of the files didn't help.  I'm formatting the internal storage now to see if it was a possible issue with the drive, then I'll dump everything back on and see how that goes.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #80 of 542
After formatting it (normal format, not a quick format), I put a handful of the albums that it wasn't reading before on there and it read them fine.  I'm currently moving the rest there to see what happens.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #81 of 542
Izzy Going, I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

Does the Z2 video player give 'true' contrast, i.e. are blacks really black? The D3 had a contrast bug where blacks are displayed as purplish-grey.

Does the Z2 have audio pan/balance? That was missing on the D3 too.

Can the lock screen be disabled? Does 'media scanning' info display as an annoying full-screen popup, or is it in the status bar?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #82 of 542

Quote:

Does the Z2 video player give 'true' contrast, i.e. are blacks really black? The D3 had a contrast bug where blacks are displayed as purplish-grey.

Can the lock screen be disabled? Does 'media scanning' info display as an annoying full-screen popup, or is it in the status bar?

Thanks!

Sorry for budging in here, but pan/balance is just a matter of installing another player app like PowerAmp. Disabling the lock screen is standard Android fare, very easily done 
smile.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #83 of 542
No, I need global pan/balance, like Archos Android players have - ie. balance that works in video players and games as well. I filed a bug report with the Android tracker a while ago, but nothing happened so far. An OS without balance is really a hindrance... even IOS5 has balance in the meantime.

And no, it is not easily possible to disable the Cowon-proprietary lock screen on the D3 (and on the Z2 probably as well, since the ROM is basically the same). Only one (non-free) 3rd party app works halfway decent, Keyguard Disabler - and it needs to run in the background all the time. There is no system setting to disable it, and none of the free disabler apps work as well. Needless to say, a lock screen is very annoying and superfluous when there's a tactile lock button anyways.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #84 of 542

Quote:

Thanks!

Hey dfkt!

The Z2 give true contrast and colors. Blacks are blacks (and you can be count on that, I'm a cameraman!). I know about the blacks problem in the D3. I have allready wrote about this issue before in my review.
I don't see any pan/balance in the Z2. If you really need it, download the poweramp. It has everything.
YES, you can lock the Z2. A small push on the power button will lock the Z2. A long one will make it sleep. A very long push will active the Z2 to be turn off completely. These feautes works also fine. Watch the video in youtube.
Media scanning works for few seconds every time you turn on the Z2...it is only in the status bar. No issue or problem with it as well.

Please feel free to ask questions. I think I read some stuff from you here in the past, which helped me a lot...

Best wishes

Izzi

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #85 of 542
Thanks Izzi!

Good to know they fixed that awful contrast bug... I just wonder if they will still fix it for the D3 as well. I already ripped the video player APK and TCC settings from the new Z2 firmware and put it on my D3, but the contrast still was wrong. Either way, I'll be getting the Z2 anyways, so I don't care. :wink:

As for the pan/balance, I explained that above - too bad it has no global setting for that. Well, so I still have to use my DIY pan/balance inline control with it... at least there is a workaround (even if it only works with dynamic driver IEMs, due to change of impedance).

As for the lock screen, I meant if it is possible to remove that screen completely, as also said above. Since there's a hardware button to lock/unlock the player, a stupid screen with a "slide to unlock" gesture is very useless, IMO.

Great to hear the media scanning is only seen in the status bar - it's very annoying on the D3, where you have to click OK on the popup that appears every time it's scanning.

Thanks for your reply, it definitely made me more giddy, waiting for the Z2! :)

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #86 of 542
I'm still having the same problem, it won't read the tags for the second half of the stuff I put on the internal storage.

Izzi, how much space have you taken up on the thing so far?  The first 20 or so GB of stuff works fine, it's the last 7 GB or so that it doesn't want to read the tags for.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #89 of 542

Quote:
Thanks Izzi!

Good to know they fixed that awful contrast bug... I just wonder if they will still fix it for the D3 as well. I already ripped the video player APK and TCC settings from the new Z2 firmware and put it on my D3, but the contrast still was wrong. Either way, I'll be getting the Z2 anyways, so I don't care. :wink:

As for the pan/balance, I explained that above - too bad it has no global setting for that. Well, so I still have to use my DIY pan/balance inline control with it... at least there is a workaround (even if it only works with dynamic driver IEMs, due to change of impedance).

As for the lock screen, I meant if it is possible to remove that screen completely, as also said above. Since there's a hardware button to lock/unlock the player, a stupid screen with a "slide to unlock" gesture is very useless, IMO.

Great to hear the media scanning is only seen in the status bar - it's very annoying on the D3, where you have to click OK on the popup that appears every time it's scanning.

Thanks for your reply, it definitely made me more giddy, waiting for the Z2! :)

No problem!
 Any time!

I hope I understood you wright: Yes, you can 'remove' or shut down the screen in a button push (this is the 'sleep' feature).

Cheers

Izzi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back