COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
Feb 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #31 of 542

Quote:
Is the Z2 slimmer than the J3? or otherwise?
Battery life?
Is there a line-out?
Is there a casing and screen protector that comes with the Z2?

Hey
Sorry, I don't have any J3 to compare, but I think I hold once in my hands...the Z2 is definitlly smaller
I didn't check the battery life, since I didn't have so much time to listen to 22 hours music :wink:
I still didn't check  if there is a line out...all I can say there is an headphones connector (is it also the line out for amplyfier?sorry, I am not a profi like you, guys...) an HDMI, a mini usb, a micro SD slot...
I didn't get any screen protector or a case with it ...
Cheers
Izzi

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #32 of 542

Quote:
Thanks for the review izzi going!

A fellow iAudiophile user has some questions I will post for him here:

- Is the contrast fixed for the video app? Look at this thread for details: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62524
- Do the media buttons sometimes double press when you release them?
- Can you make playlists in the music app?

I have one too: can you please report back about the battery life? Let's say if someone who has 320 kpbs mp3 files, uses jeteffects and a customized EQ, can you reach the 22 hour-mark?

If you can make a video, that would be nice as well.

After reading your post, I'm VERY tempted to get this!

I didn't see any contrast problem with the video. I remember the problems with the D3. No issue on the Z2.
No 'double press' problems as in the D3...
Yes you can make a playlist..
I never check the battry life for 33 hours music, but as I wrote in the review, if you will listen to music and play longer with the z2, it will kill the battery same as a normal smartphone :wink:
I'll do my best to make a video soon...

Cheers
Izzi

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #33 of 542
Sorry about that, haven't had a chance to check here for a few days.

Here are samples of RMVB you can download : LINK

Here is the link for rockplayer : LINK

Thanks in advance if you are willing to help on the testing.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #34 of 542
Dammit - Now I want one!

Thanks for your review Izzi! As a fellow european I appreciate your comments about Exportprive as well. You should check out the Poweramp app (PM me...), it's a great music player!

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #35 of 542
I'm so weak, i have ordered one at Export Prive, can't wait to receive it
atsmile.gif

Thanks Izzi for the review.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #37 of 542
Hallo,
I'm a very unsatisfied owner of a cowon D3, and I'd like to upgrade to the new Z2 because I still believe in Cowon...
But I have a very important question for Izzi:
Please, can you confirm that the software of the Z2 is very stable? I mean...in these days your player has freezed\crashed sometimes??
Because my D3 does it almost every day, and I can't take it anymore!!! (this is the MAIN reason that makes me want to abandon the D3)
Thanks!

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #38 of 542

Quote:
Hallo,
I'm a very unsatisfied owner of a cowon D3, and I'd like to upgrade to the new Z2 because I still believe in Cowon...
But I have a very important question for Izzi:
Please, can you confirm that the software of the Z2 is very stable? I mean...in these days your player has freezed\crashed sometimes??
Because my D3 does it almost every day, and I can't take it anymore!!! (this is the MAIN reason that makes me want to abandon the D3)
Thanks!

Hey Bro,

Well, I can understand your furstration from the D3...I had it for few days and send it ASAP back...it was awfull.
I listen to Music every day with the Z2, since I have it for only few days...I am also doing it to support everybody here with all their questions, since I was considering this site in the past as well, as I was buying a new COWON product.
Be sure: STABLE. 100%. No problems at all.
I even upgraded it today. Cowon 'Korea' had an update on their site (few days after the Z2 is 'on air') and I updated my Z2 today, even though I didn't have any problems with it...I translate their 'update' from Korean to English and they fix some stuff, but had nothing to do with stability.
Here is the first update from Z2:
http://support.cowon.com/
translate it please in Google and you will ahve a better 'picture' about the 'bugs' it had untill this update.
I hope I could have help you.

Cheers,
Izzi

P.s: Ok, I translated it for you from Korean to English (sorry, only from Google translate), here is the new update:

System
Plug-in codecs
Apply international
Video player
WebM codec support
Sometimes the error correction without video playback voice only
Enhanced error handling of the subtitles
Music Player
In the music player widget, even if it escapes into the memory location are applied to the previous folder
Microphone Recorder
Turning off the screen during recording, recording continuously modified to
Add App
AP
Other bug fixes

Cheers again
Izzi

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #42 of 542

Quote:
Sorry about that, haven't had a chance to check here for a few days.

Here are samples of RMVB you can download : LINK

Here is the link for rockplayer : LINK

Thanks in advance if you are willing to help on the testing.

Hey
I copy the file to the Media file in the Z2 and try to play it with their Video player and it didn't recognize it. Don't worry about that since the Z2 is an Android system and that's why you can decide to download an APP which can play these files.
I have the korean version of the COWON Z2 and I did change the language to english. Some of the APPS stays in Korean and these are the APPS to download APPS like rockplayer. I still need some time to learn the system for that.

Thanks
Izzi

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #43 of 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi going /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I even upgraded it today. Cowon 'Korea' had an update on their site (few days after the Z2 is 'on air') and I updated my Z2 today, even though I didn't have any problems with it...I translate their 'update' from Korean to English and they fix some stuff, but had nothing to do with stability.

I'm curious on how you can update the Z2. Can you download the update OTA (over-the-air) with the Z2 itself through wi-fi? Or do you have to download the update from Cowon's site and copy it on the player?

Do you have any idea about the Korean apps that stay in Korean? Are they useful or not? Thanks again!

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #44 of 542
Here's a picture from the Cowon Korea website listing the video codecs the Z2 will play, and RMVB isn't one of them:

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #45 of 542
Hey Izzi, thank you for the great review!

Are you using the Z2 with Windows OS, or Mac OS? I'm using Mac OS and I've read that there are problems with the J3 and Mac OS.

I'm looking to upgrade my iPod Touch (sound-wise it's not to my liking, but I love the touch screen and internet browsing) and iPod Video (not a fan of the click-wheel scrolling and the battery life is only ~2.5 hours)...I think the Z2 might just be it! Your review makes the Z2 sound really promising as I was originally looking at the J3 (until I heard about the Mac OS problems) or the D2 (until I heard about its sluggish performance).

How is the battery life on the Z2? I think the J3 will have the upper-hand on the battery life, but anything more than 12 hours of regular usage is really, quite plenty for me.

One last question...what color did you get? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back