Cowon X7 - pictures and first impressions
Jan 8, 2011 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I could not find any other thread were this would fit in:

With Ipod Touch side by side:

As you can see, this thing is big, but same goes for the sound. I have had a couple of Cowon and iRiver playes and the last one I got was the Apple IPod Touch, but the X7 sounds at least as good as the best of the players I had so far. I was listening with my Etys, Beyer DT250 and even Stax 3030 set. For the Etys and Beyers I did not use an amp simply because I do not have one for dynamic cans anymore. The fact that the X7 does not have a dedicated line out does not bother me, as this monster is still portable.
The speaker is OK, better compared to the IPod version. UI and handling are good and the touchscreen response is very quick.

The reasons why I ended up with a portable player that looks somewhat retro due to its size and reminded me of my first walkman were the to expect very high audio quality, the 160gb storage size, the battery life, the format it supports and that it does not require anything but drag and drop to put my files on it.

My IPod is now in hands of my wife, the smaller flash based Cowon that I still have will of course stay with me :)

Let me know if you got any questions and I will try to answer them.

Thanks,
Andre

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 23
Nice  pictures,i just got mine today , i got a white one and am very impressed with it so far 
normal_smile .gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 23
19017beetlejuice.jpg

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 23
how comes? I thought Mac's would work with external USB drives that are FAT32 formated...?

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 23
If you read up on the X7 in other forums, people who use Macs get it easily bricked and have trouble using it.

For example: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59042

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 23
Hi-I have been reading about portable players since my ipod classic 80gb bit the dust. The impression I get is the best choices are the Cowons, S:flo2, and HifiMan (and iMod if you want to go that route). I like having a lot of storage space (my 80gb was full and I was sorry I hadn't gotten the 160), so the Cowon X7 seems the best choice. The 32 gb J3 with a 32 gb storage card wouldn't be terrible as far as storage, and the S:flo2 with a card might make it. (the Hifiman is just not going to cut it in storage). You note you have the X7 and one of their flash models as well. Are there sonic differences? Is it just a question of storage space versus long term reliability (hard drives being more likely to go bad)? Any ideas on relative sound/usability of these compared to the S:Flo2? Thanks, Jack

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 23
Wow..I'd never get a dap that huge. I wonder how the size is when compared to one of those ebook readers :p The J3 is about the largest I would want in length and width.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
If you read up on the X7 in other forums, people who use Macs get it easily bricked and have trouble using it.

For example: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59042

Wasn't there some sort of fix involving seeing the hidden files and removing them?  I remember some issues with moving a huge amount of files all at once too.  I really want one of these if it is better in sound and operation than the current 160 iPod Classic (which I returned).

Otherwise, I might just try loading it once with everything I currently have in music (in smaller batches).

Quote:
Wow..I'd never get a dap that huge. I wonder how the size is when compared to one of those ebook readers :p The J3 is about the largest I would want in length and width.

I'm not saying the Cowon is small, but if I wanted to make your nose big and your ears small- I'd shoot you with a wide-angle lens.  Put the Touch in front (in the shots) and the Cowon won't look <quite> that big in comparison...that's a lens set to wide.

The Cowon would be great for a transportable work/bedside rig for me if it sounds good!  My Sony 16GB is nice and small but the storage is also small.  

That Cowon supposedly has quite the battery as well...Cowon/D12/MS1 or HF-2 should be pretty satisfying, I hope!

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #10 of 23
Cowon still has a place in my mind since the X5 was the very first dap i got. When i heard of the X7 i was kind of excited but once it got released i decided that i would stick to my iPod Classic because the X7 is too big for just music (For that size i'd wait at least a 240Gb drive) and the absence of line out. I do find the line out a must so that you i can go ballisitic with outboard amps whenever i feel the need to surpass the HPO quality.

And honestly i've grown used to the iPod/iPhone speaker aftermarket which i find very convenient as well. I sold my soul to the devil. And my soul is very happy btw.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 23
Anymore impressions on the sound?

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 23
Does anyone know if this keeps Cowons (including the X7) from bricking if you have a Mac?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27416/hidden-cleaner

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 23
Hi Smuh.
Thank you for the photos. I've just ordered mine and I'd like to know if you've had any trouble playin AAC files. I've got a great program to convert them just in case but I'd rather skip the process as I have an extensive library.

thank you
happy_face1.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back