cowon s9 vs. sony x1000 in sq only
Jun 7, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aevum-
You should hear the soundstage with the IE8's on the Sony X1000. Really something else.

I'm listening to that exact combination right now, SQ is fantastic, easily the best portable set I ever heart.

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say that the X1000 has better SQ than the A829. I have both. It's not hype. The X1000 is a little less bright, more mellow, yet more detailed in the upper treble at the same time. Bass reaches a hair lower and soundstage is a touch wider too. When you go back to the A829 something just seems a little more 'digital' about its sound. It's still a great DAP for SQ, don't get me wrong, but they've upped the bar with the X.

i said S63x/S73x, not A829, please read carefully... (just to inform u that sony S63x/73x is newer generation than A829 if you dont know)
and yeah A829 sound quality for me is standard, nothing special, i prefer cowon, samsung, meizu, and zune than sony A72x/82x series. And i also already edit my Sony firmware like the guide, its sounds better but still not enough. Just my 2 cents
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #18 of 24
the thing is, i bought a S639 a few months back to replace my D2, i went back to the D2 in less then a week, the sony players sound good, but im not sure im willing to swallow the rest of the handycaps, the lack of lossless, the limited format support, the fact that you have to trick it so its not MTP only under windows,

when sonicstage was dead and buried we all cheered, but with the death of atrac, maybe theres no longer a way to exploit the full capacity of sony players,

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #19 of 24
all of these comments directed at the sony need to take into account that the sony's original models support compressed lossless, gapless, playlists - there is nothing about the Japanese versions other than requiring windows that is worthless.

cowon's only advantage in terms of codecs is if you use vorbis and flac. if not, there is no advantage. it does not support aac for example which is a big issue for many.

the cowon's screen is stunning though and large enough to view without strain when compared to the tiny sony.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i said S63x/S73x, not A829, please read carefully... (just to inform u that sony S63x/73x is newer generation than A829 if you dont know)
and yeah A829 sound quality for me is standard, nothing special, i prefer cowon, samsung, meizu, and zune than sony A72x/82x series. And i also already edit my Sony firmware like the guide, its sounds better but still not enough. Just my 2 cents
tongue.gif

I have S639 and the X is easily a step up, better detail, bigger soundstage, and less digital sounding. Especially with good rips and phones. I heard it's more hissy than s639, but I use phonak PFE so no hiss problems
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #21 of 24
it makes me feel anger, sony players sound great, for SQ only, i would take the sony 100 times over my S9, but i cant live with it, the software layer is just crap, and the worst part is that its not a design fault, its not lack of talent on part the developers, or limitations set by hardware, its limitations set by lawyers and salesman on codecs and connectors which cripple the sony,

as i said, if you´re willing to live with the crippleware interface, support and connectors, this is one of the best sounding players you can buy, and if they come up with a decent lod for it, i would even consider picking up one,

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #22 of 24
Aevum-
Totally agree that a LOD would be a huge improvement. I have a Mustang p-51 that would love to get utilized to its full potential with the Sony X.

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhp1161 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is LOD?

LOD= line out dock, basically a cable to connect the players LO signal to a headphone amp. If the player outputs a LO signal that is, not all do. otherwise you have to amp the headphone out which might not be as clean or strong.

Oh, and welcome to head-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back