Cowon s9 review
Dec 26, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #46 of 107
Hmm i see what you mean about the bass, it lacks clout and emphasis, you can hear it but not feel it, i have a particularly good track for testing sub bass harmonics.

Gat decor - passion, i had about 3k's worth of ice in a car at one point so know the bass note on this track, sounds to me it's getting down to about 100hz after that the frequency just isn't there and as you say sounds rolled off.

The s9 does a good job to hide this, an untrained ear would totally miss this.

Is 21 ohms what you would call low impedance?

As for stereo imaging i have to disagree this player is very good for that, and for excellent separation, nothing worse than a muddled track imo.

Where would one go about finding a resistance adaptor?

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #47 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huxley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is 21 ohms what you would call low impedance?

Yup.

I guess it all depends on what kind of headphone you pair it with. People with SE530 / TF 10 may not experience the same rolled off bass as SA6 would. I'm just guessing.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #48 of 107
Anything under 32ohms is low. It's sad that manufacturers feel the need to make phones that are 16 ohms. It just results in hiss and bass rolloff.

Higher impedance on a headphone will nearly eliminate bass rolloff.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #49 of 107
The SA6 actually have an impedance of 50 Ohms, funnily enough, but I think it's a combination of the D2's and/or Cowon's DAP's/PMP's poor capacity to drive any headphone of, at my approximation without concerned testing, 75 Ohm impedance or less, and, also, that the SA6 are sonically rather flat anyway and the bass on that hp can be adjudged to be quite tame (of course, now I am aware of and have experience with mods and various other things such as tips etc that help this IEM's bass quantity), that combined to give me that finding when I first tried out the D2.

I now have three top-end IEM's in the SA6, TF10 and SE530's. I havn't tried the SA6 with this DAP this time round, as of yet but my curiosity has been piqued to do so before it's returned (to check how this particular IEM now performs with the D2 with the added impedance). However, the other 2 IEM's have a lower impedance and perform fine, bass-wise, with the D2 and the added resistor adptor, so the SA6 should perform true to their sonic bass presentation also now, I should imagine.

N.B.// Without systematic testing to ascertain an exact figure, from my experience and the equipment I've used, I'd approximate that a combined impedance (between headphone and additional source of impedance) that is about 100 Ohms should solve the bass roll-off no problem. [In fact, that is quite an unfounded guess, as I am using the D2 qith at least 150 Ohms of resitance, as my resistor adaptor is 120 Ohms]

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #50 of 107
So, any idea where to buy a resistance adaptor?

Scratch that a guy on ebay sells em, would 120ohm be fine for a ue pro super fi 5?

From what ive read the s9 kicks out 29mw each channel at 16ohms surely this would be enough?

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #51 of 107
I have a couple of questions here, regarding the S9's physical build and U.I. structure...

1. The glass screen: Just HOW scratch resistent are we talking about here? Meaning, will it hold up fine when rubbing up against pocket change all day, keys... etc? Is any protective case necessary in maintaining the quality of this player?

2. Playlists: Are you able to create several at a time -- saving them all within some folder for organizational purposes? And, if so, are these players .M3U compatible -- created through Winamp, for example?

Thanx
smile_phones.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #52 of 107
One quick question: Gapless FLAC playback?

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #54 of 107
Quote:

So, any idea where to buy a resistance adaptor?

Scratch that a guy on ebay sells em, would 120ohm be fine for a ue pro super fi 5?

From what ive read the s9 kicks out 29mw each channel at 16ohms surely this would be enough?

I should think so yeah!

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #55 of 107
Ok thanks, that must make it an iem issue, ive been meaning to upgrade anyway, ive been after something with more sparkle/vocals and a bass that thumps that bit deeper.

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #56 of 107
whats the freaquency response like under load (like 16-32ohms)?
Did they fix it or is it still crappy like in d2? I wonder same also
about O2?
O2 is more tempting to me due to card slot.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #57 of 107
Quote:

Ok thanks, that must make it an iem issue, ive been meaning to upgrade anyway, ive been after something with more sparkle/vocals and a bass that thumps that bit deeper.

The Head-fi member, gusp, makes and sells resistor adaptors also. He's a sound guy and, from what I gather, he's quite skilled with making high-quality cables and interconnects and such. Shoot him a PM and see what he has to say! Only problem could be that he lives in Australia (however, he seemed to think, when he PM'd me to see if I was still interested in aquiring a resistor adaptor- I wasn't, at that point, as it happened- that this wouldn't be an issue and that he provided free worldwide shipping; customs might be another issue, though).

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #60 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No gapless playback: paperweight.

gapless is overrated.

it's good for live albums and for connected songs/concept albums. but you can always join these songs with a wave editor and make it one whole track, because, what's the point of gapless if you're just skipping over parts of songs on a regular basis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back