Cowon s9 review
Dec 22, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #31 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you get a TV out cable with it? The manual says it is sold seperately, if you do get one can you test it for us please.

You're right it is sold separately, but if i do get one i will test it for you.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #32 of 107
One thing i am surprised at is how no one has stickied my first post in the review section.
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by xz123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any info if we still have bass roll-off with low impedance phones here?

You don't have anything specifically geared for bass roll-off however you do have quite extensive eq settings and the bass is quite tightly controlled, you can adjust not just the frequency but the width so you should be able to have a play.

My ue 5's are fairly low impedance and i have no problems.

Never tried the mic though.

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #33 of 107
After a minor weather-related shipping delay almost pushed the UPS delivery to the 26th, I just received my S9 16G from Cowon America just in time for Christmas!!!!

What a classy package/box...too bad brick-n-mortar retailers will probably never get to display them.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this thing and my weeks-old Westone W3's, but pledged to let myself wait until Christmas morning, trying to recreate the anticipation of my younger years (when I knew what I was getting, BUT had to wait!)

Give me strength!

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #34 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a minor weather-related shipping delay almost pushed the UPS delivery to the 26th, I just received my S9 16G from Cowon America just in time for Christmas!!!!

What a classy package/box...too bad brick-n-mortar retailers will probably never get to display them.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this thing and my weeks-old Westone W3's, but pledged to let myself wait until Christmas morning, trying to recreate the anticipation of my younger years (when I knew what I was getting, BUT had to wait!)

Give me strength!

It sounds amazing with E530, I can only imagine how westone 3's would shine.
biggrin.gif
It has more of a tighter 3d soundstage then say an ipod or clip, so it should make those triple drivers sing. And if you do want more expanse in your soundstage, BBE headphone 2 does nicely and sounds pretty natural. I wish there was a list of what all these settings are supposed to do. Normally I despise sound enhancements, but some of these are actually pretty good.

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
It has more of a tighter 3d soundstage then say an ipod or clip, so it should make those triple drivers sing. And if you do want more expanse in your soundstage, BBE headphone 2 does nicely and sounds pretty natural. I wish there was a list of what all these settings are supposed to do. Normally I despise sound enhancements, but some of these are actually pretty good.

Thanls for the tip,and Thanks for getting me all excited!!! Talk about not being able to sleep on Christmas Eve!! Really am looking forward to diving into this thing.

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #36 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanls for the tip,and Thanks for getting me all excited!!! Talk about not being able to sleep on Christmas Eve!! Really am looking forward to diving into this thing.

lol, NP I can never sleep on Christmas Eve, who says Christmas is just for kids!

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #37 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Cowon usually has a sort of cold sound with a little analytical bass quality so I think I can see why it's such a good match with SE530. The warmness of SE530 and it's emphasis on lower mid would sort of even things out.

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #39 of 107
Seems like we have a DAP worthy of its name!

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #40 of 107
Good to know the S9 mates well with the SE530. I may grab this player unless a 64GB Touch comes out soon.

Also it is nice to know the capacitive screen is actually made out of glass. Definitely a winner in my book.

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #42 of 107
just gifted myself with mine. giving it a nice full charge before upgrading the firmware and loading some tunes onto it later tonight after family Christmas.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #44 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huxley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing i am surprised at is how no one has stickied my first post in the review section.
confused_face_2.gif

You don't have anything specifically geared for bass roll-off however you do have quite extensive eq settings and the bass is quite tightly controlled, you can adjust not just the frequency but the width so you should be able to have a play.

My ue 5's are fairly low impedance and i have no problems.

Never tried the mic though.

bass roll off is not effected by eq or boosting frequencies with sound effects. if the bass is rolled off, no matter of adjusting will bring a frequency that cannot be rendered.

low impedence phones will still get bass but usually mid bass (around 100hz) which will give you thump and an illusion of bass but will lack detail if rolled off. most daps are rolled off so if you are worried too much about it, don't. but if you really value bass quality, bass roll off is detrimental to the sound of a player.

concurrently, cowon players have never done well with stereo image either. who knows about this one.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #45 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bass roll off is not effected by eq or boosting frequencies with sound effects. if the bass is rolled off, no matter of adjusting will bring a frequency that cannot be rendered.

low impedence phones will still get bass but usually mid bass (around 100hz) which will give you thump and an illusion of bass but will lack detail if rolled off. most daps are rolled off so if you are worried too much about it, don't. but if you really value bass quality, bass roll off is detrimental to the sound of a player.

concurrently, cowon players have never done well with stereo image either. who knows about this one.

Bass roll-off can be tackled by adding impedance and/or an amp, however, (as I'm sure you're aware but havn't stated). I trialed a D2 back in May this year for a week and I found it's bass response, then without an resistor adaptor in my possession, with SA6 IEM's, pretty non-existant, certainly visually/detail-wise, as you cite. I now have one in possession on an extended, opened-box returns policy from a site (Advancedmp3players.co.uk), now with and using an 120 Ohm resistor adaptor, and the bass response is, as one would anticipate, not rolled-off and in fact pretty dam good, being defined, detailed and deep. Like night and day! So, if bass roll-off is a problem for S9 owners and/or prospective buyers, for use with low impedance hp's, fear not, a resitor adaptor/adding impedance to circuit will solve problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back