Cowon s9 review
Dec 21, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #16 of 107
I'm really looking forward to the 32GB version to come out as 16GB may yield a little room for videos once I load up my lossless files onto it.

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #17 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the opinions.

However, you need to review the sound with all effects off and EQ at flat before it can tell us anything about the sound. This is the only true way to compare it with other players.

Ok ive now done a back to back, the cowon is clearly vastly superior, the 1st gen nano is very bass heavy and muddies the sound, and lacks any real clarity.

The cowon still sounds good, just a bit more lifeless and flatter if that makes sense.

Ninja, the screen is superb even the pictures don't do it justice.

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 107
Whale oilbeefhooked it worked.

YouTube - Cowon s9
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #20 of 107
Nice, video looks very good, also black is black!

Too bad it doesnt have a speaker, not that I would listen to it but it would be great to play video/music for friends too.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #23 of 107
Thanks for the review Huxley!

Do you know whether it can play uncompressed .avi (usually xvid) and mkv (usuallyh h264) directly from torrents?

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #24 of 107
Nice review! There seem pretty interesting. If I didn't already have a Cowon D2, I would even consider buying these. But as it stands, there are still some flaws with it and I'll probably wait until these are fixed. But it does seem like a very nice player.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #25 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review Huxley!

Do you know whether it can play uncompressed .avi (usually xvid) and mkv (usuallyh h264) directly from torrents?

According to specs, xvid can be read, h264 cannot be.

I wish the latter, less space used that way but more power required

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #26 of 107
I see, actually it makes sense. If they supported h264 on this device then they would be competing against their own products (e.g. A3/O2) and i'm guessing they don't want to do that.

Shame though, h264 would look terrific.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #27 of 107
Yup supports xvid i have a whole film uncompressed and plays lovely, and yup no h264 support nor mkv or ts, you may get lucky and convert them with jetaudio but i wouldn't hold your breath.

I had a hard time with the menu as it was tricky using it behind a camera normally it would be fine, you learn how to make the best of the menu quickly, probably why my video flies around compared to most.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #30 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have to resize videos to screen size ?

No as far as I can tell. I did read that they look even better if you did transcode to the screen resolution although looks pretty good as is.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back