Cowon Q5: Is it worth it?
Feb 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DocHamm

500+ Head-Fier
I've been reading up on the Cowon Q5 and related reviews but still wondering how it's stacking up against other DAPs. I really like the large screen and optional features, but have some unanswered questions...
  1. How does the sound quality relate, say to an iPod?
  2. Does it have digital out or just analog?
  3. How well does the WiFi and Blue Tooth work?
  4. Does the Q5 run any standard WinCE applications?
  5. How do you upgrade to include the Office Viewer?
Not much info on the Cowon America site other than the Office Viewer being an "option". This unit seems to have quite a few attractive features, at least for me. I'd love to have a great DAP that I can also read my ebooks and surf the net for info when I'm out and about. I've been carrying a PocketPC for years and finally got one with an integrated cell phone, but I'd prefer my pleasures (music and reading) be together and leave the phone at home. The GPS dock is also attractive for when I travel and if the player is top quality, can read at least some ebook formats, it would be a slam-dunk purchase for me. So anyone have any more details on the Q5? Is it worth it?

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. How does the sound quality relate, say to an iPod?
  2. Does it have digital out or just analog?
  3. How well does the WiFi and Blue Tooth work?
  4. Does the Q5 run any standard WinCE applications?
  5. How do you upgrade to include the Office Viewer?

• I think that it definatly sounds better than an iPod. I have not used an iPod in a while but i use my 1st gen shuffle daily and it sounds much fuller
  • It has SPDIF out so can use it with a DAC that accepts SPDIF
  • The wi-fi has been fairly poor for me. I can connect to a network just fine but when browsing the net i seem to constantly be disconnected/web pages decide not to load. I'm affraid i have yet to try the bluetooth as i do not own any bluetooth headphones (this is all that the bluetooth on the Q5W is currently capable of, rumour has it that a futute firmware will enable it to work with any bluetooth device in the future but not a gurantee)
  • If you take a look at iaudiophile.net forums you can check out a list of compatible apps. There are quite a few that work, plus you can even get emulators running on it.
  • If you take a look at iaudiophile.net forums then you can find out more information on the viewer. I have it on mine at the moment and it works just fine.

I have not used my device an awful lot recently as i'm waiting for a case but after the latest price drop plus the fact you get the GPS adapter with it for free (from the jetmall website, a value of $200) i would say that it is very good for the money. Excellent audio and video (TV out is very good as well). However the windows side of it is a bit hit or miss at the moment, hopefully Cowon may refine it a little.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 11
The sound quality is good, but the headphone out does not sound superior to a Cowon A3, to me. That being said, the "line out" on the Q5 sounds better to me and as stated above, it does have coax SPDIF out, which puts it in another league altogether than most other (current) DAP's. If you want it for a lot of WIFI/browsing use, then you will be disappointed. As stated above, the current bluetooth is limited to headsets and it works about as well as bluetooth mobile phones (i.e. frustrating at best).

However, I am not giving mine up as it is the only current "mainstream" player that natively supports FLAC and has a digital output. If you are not going to use lossless compression and the SPDIF out into an outboard DAC then I personally would go with something else.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 11
Hmm. I was definitely thinking of getting one later this year but the reports of lackluster wi-fi has me reconsidering. Does anyone know if the wi-fi on the Archos is any better?

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 11
I have heard that the WiFi on the Archos 605is great, it has been implemented fully and uses a custom Opera browser which users are very happy with. As said by morphsci, the strong points of the Q5W are its good codec support and digital out. The audio and video is also very good, but that is not to say the Archos is not. If you want to use it as more of a gadget i.e. bluetooth and web browsing then i would go for the Archos.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 11
Sorry to resurrect this dead thread, but I recently got a used Q5W and measured a dc offset of 700mV at turn-on, which is also a loooud pop which is why I decided to measure it. It slowly goes down to 200mV after 30 seconds, and 30 seconds more it goes to 20mV and stays around there. Turning it off it jumps to 500mV and goes down over the next 15 seconds to ~15mV and stays there for a long while.

Is this normal? Maybe the person who sold it to me did some modding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back