Cowon Plenue R2
Dec 23, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #61 of 296
And when I say "pocket friendly", you can drop it in your pocket with headphone socket up without worrying about volume knobs since volume control is on the side.
Yeah I do prefer this style of Plenue with the power/screen button on the top right and hard controls down the right side, instead of the dual dials on the top on the P2/mkII/L. I mean the dials are cool but the form factor of the P1/M/S/R feels more solid and better for on the go use.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #63 of 296
This PR2 can’t be used as a Bluetooth receiver can it? It only has call notifications from phones?

That is correct, only BT audio transmitter. You enable Bluetooth Phone (icon in R2 BT menu), and then search from your phone to pair up with R2. Even so it shows up paired up for Calls and Audio, you will only see an indicator of the incoming call in R2 Notification bar, no audio is being received. R2 can't be used as audio BT receiver.

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #65 of 296
I just need SQ and a powerfull balanced output ( I don' t use bluetooth ). The Plenue R2 is 550 usd vs the 500 usd Plenue 2 on amazon.

R2 has 4vrms vs 2 vrms max of the Plenue 2. The Plenue 2 is already a 3 years old "totl" AK 4497 DAC. It is also more artful and cheaper. Do you guys think the Plenue 2 is still better a better choice (in term of sound quality)?

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #66 of 296
Honestly, @vodanhkhack,

If you want to save even more, I would suggest getting the Plenue D or Plenue D2 instead if you don't need much in terms of functions, SQ & general sound levels are subjectively better than PR & since I'm not in the market for PR2, can't tell you about it's sound quality.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #67 of 296
@PaganDL thank you!

I have tried both the Plenue D and Plenue R ( not D2 nor R2). They sound too "soft" and lack of energy to me! They are a bit boring! I think I actually will keep my Plenue 2 when it arrives. Just wonder how the sound differences between the Plenue 2 and the Plenue R2. We are always looking for a "better" " favourate " sound signatures of DAP/DAC to our own taste and "best for the money" of course...

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #68 of 296
@PaganDL thank you!

I have tried both the Plenue D and Plenue R ( not D2 nor R2). They sound too "soft" and lack of energy to me! They are a bit boring! I think I actually will keep my Plenue 2 when it arrives. Just wonder how the sound differences between the Plenue 2 and the Plenue R2. We are always looking for a "better" " favourate " sound signatures of DAP/DAC to our own taste and "best for the money" of course...

No problem, @vodanhkhack,

Happy to help.

Honestly, for Cowon DAPs, using Jet Effects is recommended as it is more DSP than EQ system & as such, actually useful...
if you still have the PD, I suggest looking at BBE Headphone setting to see if that helps though this will also depend on your recording quality & head gear.
This will also work on the P2.

Personally & subjectively, given the gear I have at present, especially where DAPs are concerned, I bowed out of that particular race a while ago...

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #69 of 296
No problem, @vodanhkhack,

Happy to help.

Honestly, for Cowon DAPs, using Jet Effects is recommended as it is more DSP than EQ system & as such, actually useful...
if you still have the PD, I suggest looking at BBE Headphone setting to see if that helps though this will also depend on your recording quality & head gear.
This will also work on the P2.

Personally & subjectively, given the gear I have at present, especially where DAPs are concerned, I bowed out of that particular race a while ago...

Some friends in this forum tell me the same thing on the Jeteffects of the Cowon Plenue DAPs that make me more curious to try them out. I just tested the Plenue D and R at the store a while ago.

It is lucky that you are out of the DAP race! My current DAP is the Shanling M5s which also has good, warm sound and punchy bass. I just want to "upgrade" or at least try out some "better" sound signature with the Plenue 2 hopefully!

May I ask do you still use DAP(s)?

Jan 6, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #70 of 296
Some friends in this forum tell me the same thing on the Jeteffects of the Cowon Plenue DAPs that make me more curious to try them out. I just tested the Plenue D and R at the store a while ago.

It is lucky that you are out of the DAP race! My current DAP is the Shanling M5s which also has good, warm sound and punchy bass. I just want to "upgrade" or at least try out some "better" sound signature with the Plenue 2 hopefully!

May I ask do you still use DAP(s)?

Hi @vodanhkhack,

Just in case it wasn't clear in my previous posts, I use the PD almost everyday when on the move compared to any other DAP I own, the second in use being PD 2 or if I need BT for doing household chores, etc, I either use Shanling M0 or my Oppo R 16 phone...
Overall, it's really hard to give up that 100 hour battery life or even the 45 hour battery life.
So I'm only out of the DAP race so to speak as there isn't really a DAP out there currently I really need though there is definitely a few I may want but as said, given there are potentially better, especially non audio related things I need to budget for, another DAP doesn't fit in...

M5s is pretty decent though didn't demo that for long...

Honestly, for good sound quality overall, that will matter on your recording quality, regardless of format & head gear involved.

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #71 of 296
With regards to Plenue P2 vs R2, I have both. The R2 is very very good but A/B testing with the same settings, EQ, tracks, balanced (volume matched) the P2 sound quality is better. It has a nicer bass, a little smoother sound.
There is more power on the R2 2.5mm if you need it though.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #72 of 296
I just received the cowon R2 and the screen font are the worst piece of pixelated crap i have ever seen.. THE ONE WHO TOOK IT APPART with the picture and everything should have said so..

what a piece of crap company.. this is f. not acceptable paid 800$CAD for a this piece of crap screen with unreadable font

DO NOT BUY! COWON ARE SCAMMERS the worst of the worst

and if the P2 sound quality is better WhatTHE****!

i will never ever ever ever buy from cowon ever f. again..

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #73 of 296
IF YOU WEREN'T NINE you would realise I didn't take it apart but its for FCC registration with the United States Federal Communications Commission. For legal sale of wireless deices in the US, manufacturers must provide the following:

https://fccid.io/SXV-PLENUE-R2

Also your eyes must be screw** from watching too many cartoons in 4K 3D if you can't read the 480 x 800 AMOLED display.

Why shouldn't the P2 sound better? its a higher tier DAP.

Did you buy a screen or a hires music player?

p.s. you forgot to let us know if you managed to pair your headphones successfully with the R2 bluetooth.

615e0ZNQigL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #74 of 296
there is truly a weird UNACCEPTABLE pixelation problem with the font.. and only crappy backstabbing stealing companies would create and sell crap like this in f. 2020.. That screen doesnt look amoled at all...

well implemented top cirrus dac chip should sound better than akm4497 maybe not akm4499 since i havent heard these yet..

so my guest is they did a bad cheap analog stage on the dac and|or bad amplification

that is if we can trust you and your ears anyway..
are you a plant from cowon or what.. anybody with a heart and a brain would never recommend a product like this.. it took me 3min to see how totally unacceptable the text resolution is..

even without listening to the sound this product is crap.. you are a backstabber too to stipulate otherwise and encourage companies like this.. this is the 3rd cowon product i bought from them, this was their 3rd chance and everytime they gave me just tons of problems.

D2 was so cheaply made.. and S9 had also tons of problem..

I'm in my right to say to others NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS CRAPPY COMPANY WHO WILL ALWAYS CREATE CRAP.. people who worked on the R2, accepted that screen and font should be all fired... they should recall the product and use an higher resolution better amoled screen/fix the font to be anti-aliased and clean.. this is f. basic... we are not in 1985 ... f. these korean companies

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #75 of 296
I don't think anyone has heard those model dacs, not even akm :beyersmile:

Nope i have and have had daps from most manufactures, Lotoo, Colorfly, Cowon, Fiio, Shanling, Sony, Ibasso, Xuelin, Echobox.

Maybe somebody with ears would recommend it?

Enlighten us with your next dap choice (maybe avoid the Altmann Tera :ksc75smile:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back