Cowon PLENUE M2 (Current Firmware and Manual Links in 1st post)
Oct 12, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #91 of 545

Been asked a lot about it, to compare, but unfortunately have only access to PM2.

Btw, posted my full detailed review: https://twister6.com/2016/10/10/cowon-plenue-m2/ - long read and lots of pictures, but i went into more details, especially about design, sound, pair up, and comparison.

Will also re-post it on Head-fi sometime next week.

Great review! You mentioned  about the 10 band EQ (76, 135, 240, 430, 750, 1.3k, 2.4k, 4.2k, 7.5k, 13.2k bands) but there are more frequences you can adjust :) Each band has 3 frequences to choose when you press this small square so theoretically  its like 30 band EQ :)

Damn, a hidden Easter egg
biggrin.gif
  Didn't even know about it!  Yep, just saw it, and will update my review later today.  Thanks bud!

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #92 of 545

Been asked a lot about it, to compare, but unfortunately have only access to PM2.

Btw, posted my full detailed review: https://twister6.com/2016/10/10/cowon-plenue-m2/ - long read and lots of pictures, but i went into more details, especially about design, sound, pair up, and comparison.

Great review! You mentioned  about the 10 band EQ (76, 135, 240, 430, 750, 1.3k, 2.4k, 4.2k, 7.5k, 13.2k bands) but there are more frequences you can adjust :) Each band has 3 frequences to choose when you press this small square so theoretically  its like 30 band EQ :)

biggrin.gif
  Didn't even know about it!  Yep, just saw it, and will update my review later today.  Thanks bud!

Yep, three frequency settings for each band as well as three settings for the q-factor (bandwidth):

BBE is by the way an adjustable loudness:

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #93 of 545

biggrin.gif

Yep, three frequency settings for each band as well as three settings for the q-factor (bandwidth):

BBE is by the way an adjustable loudness:

Yep, with bandwidth setting - that one I found, actually noted it in my review that it turns EQ in parametric-like EQ
wink.gif
  Pretty cool to adjust q-parameter to have more precision in sound shaping.  In a way, I actually like that you have three predefined choices for Q and F.  I hate EQing because sometime you get into this infinite micro-adjusting loop where you constantly tweaking the parameters (speaking from PAW Gold parametric EQ experience), while here you just switch between 3 choices to find the frequency and bandwidth that suites you better.

With BBE, it's more than just loudness, but it does look like that in the graph.  I have used a number of VST plugins back in my music production days (virtual plugins for sequencers) where they implemented in sw the emulation of BBE effects and typically it expands the dymanics and also works as exciter effect on low and high frequencies.  What is amazing, it's exactly how I hear it implemented here.  I was using RE600, one of my flat neutral reference iems, and it's quite amazing to hear the transformation of the sound when you dial in BBE to 10.

Makes me wonder now, people also talk highly of Sony dsp effects, but I also read that many refer to them as sounding more artificial.  Anybody compared Sony DSP effects to JetEffect?

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #94 of 545
From my experience,having owned two Sonys and various Cowons, the Sonys DSP didt sound good or it didnt do much. On the other hand, the Cowons jeteffects, EQ are cleaner, will change the over all sound or just change specific regions of the sound.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #95 of 545
I have to agree with jmills, but I will say I don't feel the zx2 needed dsp, where with the Cowon P1 it does. Without bbe and machbass I wouldn't enjoy the P1. I think they are very similar in sound, but haven't done an ab. I'm hoping I can get to Best Buy to check the zx2 out again, with my P1 in hand.

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #96 of 545
Well, for those who are wondering, I think that my search for the ultimate player will stop HERE, for now. PM2, when compared to all my other players, is, to my ears at least,  something else. The levels that bass can go down low & dirty is unheard off. Midds are nice and punchy - on the level with my other favourite Cayin I5 and treble is nice and sparkly without any sign of sibilance. Well done Cowon!  My journey to portable Hi Fidelity started with Cowon D, followed by a long line of Cowon devices, Fiios, Ibassos, AKs, Cayin and now circle is closed with incredible Plenue M2. I am very, very satisfied with this gem.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #98 of 545
So, this thing has no line out... It's essentially perfect for me, besides that.

How bad would it be to just amp the headphone out signal externally?

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #99 of 545
So, this thing has no line out... It's essentially perfect for me, besides that.

How bad would it be to just amp the headphone out signal externally?
Not bad at all with my Plenue M, P1 and D.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #101 of 545
 PM2 has optical line out but it has enough power to drive many headphones

I was hoping to use my external amp without bypassing the DAC in the PM2.

Not bad at all with my Plenue M, P1 and D.

Good to know! Thanks!

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #102 of 545
PM2 has optical line out but I haven't tested it yet

The optical lo works fine, no probs connecting it to my mojo. To be honest I prefer the PM2 headphone out to the mojo.

So good and bad points as I see it:

Good;
Sound - just the best
Build quality
Interface
EQ
memory
Connectivity

Bad;
Sharp edges/corners, not great to hold, will get the case.
Headphone Jack at the bottom - seriously why? Why put it there!
Battery life - around 8hr, they should release a batter case or something.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #103 of 545
The optical lo works fine, no probs connecting it to my mojo. To be honest I prefer the PM2 headphone out to the mojo.

So good and bad points as I see it:

Good;
Sound - just the best
Build quality
Interface
EQ
memory
Connectivity

Bad;
Sharp edges/corners, not great to hold, will get the case.
Headphone Jack at the bottom - seriously why? Why put it there!
Battery life - around 8hr, they should release a batter case or something.
File the edges :thumbsup:

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #105 of 545
They should make a Cowon watch dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back