Cowon PLENUE M2 (Current Firmware and Manual Links in 1st post)
Oct 16, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #106 of 545
They should make a Cowon watch dap.

Now that would be interesting indeed! However I think it might not be the most comfortable method if the 3.5 mm socket was directly at your wrist (I've got a cheap AGPTek watch DAP and it feels weird connecting the headphone jack to your wrist).

Quote:
  I agree, PM2 is a fantastic sounding DAP, I also have PD and I'm going to keep them both for a long time. The only downside of PM2 is its battery life, mine lasts up to 8h

tongue.gif
 Battery life is no issue with this stack (RAVPower 26800 mAh powerbank, Plenue M2 -> Mojo -> UHA-6S.MKII):

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #107 of 545

In my opinion, the next Plenue DAP should be full on android with streaming and wifi
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #108 of 545

In my opinion, the next Plenue DAP should be full on android with streaming and wifi
biggrin.gif

That wouldn't be bad for sure.

Isn't the Plenue M2 already running on a highly customised Android version? At least the search feature's keyboard looks somewhat like the one in older Android builds.

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #109 of 545
Hello and congrats on your PM2 :), I ordered this case from Korean site- Gmarket but its in english. The shipping to Europe took about 5 days.
Here is the link: http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=826567111

I plan to buy this leather case as well. I'm from europe, so maybe if there are some other guys, who also wants this leather case, I could buy more and ask for combined shipping.

Guys, I sent mail to Gmarket and they contacted seller about actual weight of this leather case for Cowon Plenue M2. So now it's 0,5kg, shipping is less expensive. Yay.

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #110 of 545
  Well, for those who are wondering, I think that my search for the ultimate player will stop HERE, for now. PM2, when compared to all my other players, is, to my ears at least,  something else. The levels that bass can go down low & dirty is unheard off. Midds are nice and punchy - on the level with my other favourite Cayin I5 and treble is nice and sparkly without any sign of sibilance. Well done Cowon!  My journey to portable Hi Fidelity started with Cowon D, followed by a long line of Cowon devices, Fiios, Ibassos, AKs, Cayin and now circle is closed with incredible Plenue M2. I am very, very satisfied with this gem.

Soundtrap, from your experience which one of the three (Cayin i5 / Plenue M2 / Plenue 1) has bigger sound-stage / better instrument separation?
thanks

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #111 of 545

Soundtrap, from your experience which one of the three (Cayin i5 / Plenue M2 / Plenue 1) has bigger sound-stage / better instrument separation?
thanks

I haven't had a pleasure to hear P1, but between PM2 and I5 it is mighty close, BUT Cowons Jet 7 have that much more adjustments in reserve, that I5 just can't match . You see, with souround sound effect on PM2 you can stretch or shrink the soundstage to your liking. Other then old Iriver E10 I haven't come across player that can alter the sound stage that much. Again, I5 is phenomenal, but you have what's on it and that is not bad at all. And I did try Onkyo player, JetAudio, Neutron and PowerAmp on I5 and none of them show significant , if any improvements in sound, but all have worse UI than stock player on I5. If I haven't purchased PM2 I would be perfectly happy with I5, except I have a collector's disease so I have to get PM2 for the piece of mind. Now I am spoiled with choice and every day different player and different headphones and I always have a smile on my face, despite being known as a grumpy person. Lol! If you have to choose in sound section, to my ears PM2 has no faults or limitations, where I5 - two lowest bands cannot be pushed above +2 or +3 since that causes distortion to mine ATH-M50, CAL2 and even Momentums on Ear. PM2 on the other hand goes lower and deeper  without any disTortion than any player I've heard so far- it is insane! Midds and Highs are gorgeous on both players, pretty much neck and neck.

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #112 of 545
that's not the first time I hear about the Cayin i5's lower frequencies distorting when boosted.
I wonder what Cayin has to say about that..
if it's hardware, or if it can be addressed via firmware update.

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #114 of 545
  that's not the first time I hear about the Cayin i5's lower frequencies distorting when boosted.
I wonder what Cayin has to say about that..
if it's hardware, or if it can be addressed via firmware update.

With FiiO E12 Mont Blanc via LO bass is better , but if I recall last time I've use them together weirdly EQ on I5 is still adjustable ( I might be wrong I have to double check tomorrow!). However, paired with Beyer Custom Street it is less noticable, since opening ports on the phones you can compensate for lack of bass. Just listened to Alice in Chains earlier and boy does it sound phenomenal, I5 is definitely suited for a heavy stuff, ie grunge, hard rock etc.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #115 of 545
Hello,

I've been in the market for a new DAP and I decided to try out the Plenue M2. It seems like a solid device but for me it seems to have a fatal flaw. I assumed, since previous Cowon players supported m3u playlists, that this one would as well but I guess I was wrong unless I am oblivious to where the option is. Does anyone know if there's plans for them to add support for this in the future? Otherwise I may have to keep looking. I also sent an email to them asking about it and am waiting to hear back from them.

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #117 of 545
Thanks for this very interesting and detailed review. My only complaint is that I would like have comparisons with other DAP like Plenue models 1 or S and Astell&Kern too.
AFAIK, Plenue model 1 and S have a more high-end DAC than M2 or D (1792 vs 1795). But I don't know if it induces a big difference in sound.

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #120 of 545
Anybody know where I can purchase a case for my M2? Preferably one of the official leather ones.

Gmarket. Warning though, I ended up paying the original higher shipping cost, then when they refunded me they put money as a "smile cash" in to my Gmarket account, rather then refunding my PayPal account. Even Paypal did not found that to be a breach, although Gmarket's own terms and conditions state otherwise. So, be careful if you buying from outside Korea, otherwise if you ended up in need for a refund bastards will keep your money for ransom.
Case is genuine Cowon and is utterly gorgeous though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back