Cowon Plenue M
Dec 14, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #124 of 203
Finally bought a Cowon M with some credit from Amazon for my birthday.

The Sennheisers HD 25 II benefit greatly from the superior amp stage and dac, the Cowon J3 was ok with them but I noticed an improvement in sound "power" and clarity that is really noticeable.
With the J3 I had to crank the volume pretty high on some songs, now with the M I'm at 50% of the available volume and it's pretty good for an outdoor listening with high noise.

The J3 had some features that were kinda nice though:
> Microphone Recorder (pretty good)
> Radio (used once or twice but handy on a pinch)
> Bookmarks for Audiobooks (I've listened to many audiobooks with the J3)

I'm still playing with the M and will post a complete review some time soon.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #126 of 203
So what's the average battery life people are seeing with the Plenue M?  Is there any background hiss?  I know that my J3 does have a fair amount of hiss in what I have seen.

I'm torn between 3 different DAP's right now, and I'm trying to figure out what will best suit my needs.  I'm between the Plenue M, Plenue D, and Sony ZX100.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #127 of 203
So what's the average battery life people are seeing with the Plenue M?  Is there any background hiss?  I know that my J3 does have a fair amount of hiss in what I have seen.

I'm torn between 3 different DAP's right now, and I'm trying to figure out what will best suit my needs.  I'm between the Plenue M, Plenue D, and Sony ZX100.
The M has a great sound and its very powerful but battery is not the best. The Sony has a great battery it lasts forever and sounds very good nut not as good as the M in most cases. Now the D suppose to have a great battery life and suppose to sound close to the M and it cost much less than the Sony and the M.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #128 of 203

IMO, Plenue M wins against the ZX100. The M has greater imaging, accuracy of timbre, black background (no hiss) and greater separation.

The ZX100 has drier vocal and also hiss on my IEM. Just wait for the plenue D. Its going to be an awesome dap!

Or go with plenue m. I rather have less batery life than have less sound quality. I can fix the battery life with powerbank / charge more often. But you cant do anything if you have dap with lesser SQ.

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #129 of 203
I bought the M recently and I am enjoying listening to it but there is one niggle.

When I tilt it into landscape orientation so that multiple albums show, I don't see any album cover art, just pink squares with a music note in the middle. Portrait orientation for a single album track is fine.

Has anyone else seen this and come up with a fix or workaround? I wonder if the player is unable to scale the files down correctly to thumbnail size.

Thanks for any help.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #130 of 203
  Finally bought a Cowon M with some credit from Amazon for my birthday.

The Sennheisers HD 25 II benefit greatly from the superior amp stage and dac, the Cowon J3 was ok with them but I noticed an improvement in sound "power" and clarity that is really noticeable.
With the J3 I had to crank the volume pretty high on some songs, now with the M I'm at 50% of the available volume and it's pretty good for an outdoor listening with high noise.

The J3 had some features that were kinda nice though:
> Microphone Recorder (pretty good)
> Radio (used once or twice but handy on a pinch)
> Bookmarks for Audiobooks (I've listened to many audiobooks with the J3)

I'm still playing with the M and will post a complete review some time soon.

Do you have any further thoughts about the M?  I'd love to hear your thoughts compared to the J3, as you're in the same boat as me.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #131 of 203
Semi random M/J3 comparisons hope they are useful:

> The J3 has video playback support and a better battery duration (using mp3s and flac), along with radio and microphone recording.

> The M has better cue support and lyrics support, along with DSD, SACD and a host of other hi-end codecs.

> The J3 almost never gets warm on the back (The M gets kinda warm, never hot).

> I am able to get volume in spades with the M (the J3 gets loud but only through the BBE settings and never as loud as the M).

> The volume I'm able to get with the M does not sacrifice quality, at higher volume settings, the J3 is cracking under the pressure (sound wise) whereas the M keeps its cool.

> The "power" (impedance wise and volt-wise) I'm able to get from the M is much higher compared to the J3, the Sennheisers HD 25 II (70 Ohms) are getting a workout from the M, whereas the J3 wasn't able to fully drive them, in my opinion.

> I never tested the J3 nor the M with IEMs so I'm not able to tell you if there are any difference, performace wise or audio quality wise with these kind of 'phones.

> The BBE7 and M's EQ are much better than the BBE3 and J3's EQ, along with the DAC (but that's a given).

> Detail retrieval and soundstage are better with the M, with the same headphones I am able to hear details that were "hidden" in the J3's presentation.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #132 of 203
Few days ago, I demo-ed Fiio X7 and comparing it to my Plenue M. At first, (IMO) the detail on X7 beats the M, separation is par on both players, the highs on Fiio sounds a bit metalic, dry vocal and recessed mids. The M wins on natural voice and timbre and the Fiio wins on details retrieval and greater imaging. Both players has weakness.

Spoiled by the X7, I came home overwhelmed by Fiio's detail retrieval, the M felt softer. At the sametime, I play around with the M, I turned on the BBE setting to 7... I was shocked. The M is no longer soft, its capable to bring out the details I was talking about. The music feels more alive, detailed and more engaging!

I always put my Plenue M on normal EQ, with the EQ, BBE and all those settings, Plenue M is truly a versatile and capable player. I was thinking to sold my M and buy X7, but not anymore :D

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #133 of 203
Few days ago, I demo-ed Fiio X7 and comparing it to my Plenue M. At first, (IMO) the detail on X7 beats the M, separation is par on both players, the highs on Fiio sounds a bit metalic, dry vocal and recessed mids. The M wins on natural voice and timbre and the Fiio wins on details retrieval and greater imaging. Both players has weakness.

Spoiled by the X7, I came home overwhelmed by Fiio's detail retrieval, the M felt softer. At the sametime, I play around with the M, I turned on the BBE setting to 7... I was shocked. The M is no longer soft, its capable to bring out the details I was talking about. The music feels more alive, detailed and more engaging!

I always put my Plenue M on normal EQ, with the EQ, BBE and all those settings, Plenue M is truly a versatile and capable player. I was thinking to sold my M and buy X7, but not anymore :D
Cowon players are made to use the BBE settings.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #134 of 203
  They need to revamp the J3 imo

The J3 is a dead end. They would have to make it sound better than the Fiio X1 which costs less than the J3. The X1 is a more capable player with better sound. Heck, the Fiio X3II is better than both. The J3 was about $150 and the X3II is $199. No comparison in terms of sound. I have both and prefer the X3II.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #135 of 203
True. Though if the plenue m would have a lower price point, we would be almost there
smily_headphones1.gif

842 usd is still high. The M is the small brother... where is the small price.

Any korean reviews available?

I was looking at the price of the M and the P1 in the USA and it seems they both got for $799.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back