Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Aug 30, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #661 of 1,024
You're welcome.

I don't have any ALAC files so cannot confirm or deny whether they would be played gapless or not - sorry. As to your second question, yes, the 2.5 mm output is indeed TRRS-terminated.
Good, all my balanced gear would work with P2. I guess ALAC shouldn't be a problem with gapless. I'm thinking of letting my DX200 go...

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #662 of 1,024
Hello I just want to ask a few things:

1. Does P2 perform gapless 100% correctly?
2. If I plug P2 to a Mac computer and want to transfer music on MicroSD card do I need an Android File Transfer software?

Thanks

Not only a perfect gapless, but also a very practical and efficient "remove silence" function. So the transition between tracks is absolutely clean.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #663 of 1,024
Not only a perfect gapless, but also a very practical and efficient "remove silence" function. So the transition between tracks is absolutely clean.
Wow cool! I'm aware of this function but never had a chance to listen to any of COWON DAPs...

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #664 of 1,024
The manual that is stored on the device's internal memory can be opened by connecting the Plenue 2 to a PC and accessing its internal storage. It should offer a very good description of all JetEffect settings.
Finally, the best explanations I could find and read about the JetEffects were in your Plenue 2 review on your Website :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #665 of 1,024
Finally, the best explanations I could find and read about the JetEffects were in your Plenue 2 review on your Website :)

You are welcome. It does a lot of things better than many DAP's and has the cleanest EQ and DSP. When you flip the "On" on some features, that is then were the magic begins and where it really shines.

I really like the P2 over the P1 the more I use it and maybe it's a placebo but I swear the more I listen to the P2 it's seems to get more detailed and spacious. Maybe it's the recordings? Maybe it's burn in. Either way it's a total winner. I've never been disappointed by Cowon yet.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #666 of 1,024
It does a lot of things better than many DAP's and has the cleanest EQ and DSP.

+1. JetEffect really offers all of that, and on top it can handle even surreal adjustments with ease and without starting to run out of headroom, clip or distort.
A clean, bug-free and easy to use software along with good hardware and build quality is what I personally love about Cowon. Heck, even their Plenue D offers all of that (well, except for the software/processor speed since every menus and interactions feel quite slow, which is why I ended up selling mine just about a day or so after I purchased it).

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #667 of 1,024
+1. JetEffect really offers all of that, and on top it can handle even surreal adjustments with ease and without starting to run out of headroom, clip or distort.
A clean, bug-free and easy to use software along with good hardware and build quality is what I personally love about Cowon. Heck, even their Plenue D offers all of that (well, except for the software/processor speed since every menus and interactions feel quite slow, which is why I ended up selling mine just about a day or so after I purchased it).

I agree but I will still keep the Plenue D as it's so tiny it's awesome in the car. Can hide it and sounds great.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #668 of 1,024
I have been up to look for another DAP for my Onkyo dpx1 replacement.
After reading 45 pages in a day, i pretty much know what and how good P2 is, but i remembered a post saying the balanced output is not a real balanced.
May someone advise more please!!!

I am using a 2.5 balanced amp to my dpx1 as the onkyo seems not having power on some of my iem earphone with 2.5mm.
I was wondering if the P2 would output as it is not real balanced? And does P2 have good output power?

Also, i saw the other post saying that the output jack 2.5, 3.5 are located at the bottom of the player while the volume is on the top, it seems to me that it will make me difficult to use with my 2.5mm balanced amp.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #669 of 1,024
After reading 45 pages in a day, i pretty much know what and how good P2 is, but i remembered a post saying the balanced output is not a real balanced.

I am using a 2.5 balanced amp to my dpx1 as the onkyo seems not having power on some of my iem earphone with 2.5mm.
I was wondering if the P2 would output as it is not real balanced? And does P2 have good output power?

Also, i saw the other post saying that the output jack 2.5, 3.5 are located at the bottom of the player while the volume is on the top, it seems to me that it will make me difficult to use with my 2.5mm balanced amp.
You can demo this dap in various audio shops through out Hong Kong.

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #670 of 1,024

What IEMs are you concerned about driving? What amp are you currently using?

Personally, I don't amp my P2, only my x5iii (to improve the sound stage).

None of my IEMs come anywhere near being under-powered out of my P2 (max about 70/140 volume, typically 40 - 50) balanced.

I'm waiting on a balanced cable for my Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen (600 Ohms) so I can't speak about that pairing, but SE, I listen to the @ 80 - 100 / 140.

I enjoy my Hifiman HE-560s balanced out of the P2 @ around 80 - 100/140 volume.

I don't listen at very high volume, so I can imagine someone finding the P2 inadequate for the 560s. But max volume to any of my IEMs would make my head explode.

I've read HifiChris' review where he states the P2 doesn't have 'truly balanced' output. Probably true - I imagine he got that direct from Cowon, or opened the DAP up to see for himself.

But I'm pretty sure the 2 Volt output will drive any IEM to unlistenable volume.

As far as amp stacking and the output jack location, I guess it depends on how your amp is set up. Mine stacks great with my AlgoRhythm Duet as the amp inputs are at one end, with output and volume knob at other end using a very short interconnect. Well it did until I determined that there was no SQ improvement even driving my 560s and stopped stacking.

Stacking with my Topping NX5 was a PITA since input, output and volume are all at the same end.

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #671 of 1,024

Even if the P2 is not fully balanced, and I'm not sure, it sounds better balanced. My P2 drives my Sennheiser 600 SE no problem. I use the balanced output for HD700, hifiman 400i, Sennheiser i80, and campfire audio vega. The P2 drives all of those no problem. The balanced output sounds way better to me than SE. Wider and deeper soundstage. More precise imaging and better decay than SE. I can live with SE but when I switch to balanced everything just flows better for me. I love my P2 and don't feel any need to upgrade my dap.

I bought the oriolus oak amp and used it with my P2. It was not balanced in and out though. The amp is good and I use it often but with the P2 you won't need an amp, it will sound fantastic by itself.

I don't think the outputs on the bottom will bother you. Once connected you should use use the amp for volume. The wheels on top are nice, I just wish the buttons were on the right side and not the left. I got used to the P1 buttons on the right side. You will love the sound!

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #672 of 1,024
To be honest I don't hear such dramatic difference between SE and balanced output as you describe .If there was such a day and night difference that would mean that the amp section in P2 is poorly designed.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #673 of 1,024
thanks for all input. i will go to try the demo next time.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #674 of 1,024
To be honest I don't hear such dramatic difference between SE and balanced output as you describe .If there was such a day and night difference that would mean that the amp section in P2 is poorly designed.
Understandable to me. We all hear different and listen for different things. For me I love the music I listen to. It is an emotional connection to it. I am only 39 but I have loved music since I was 4. When I heard the B&W 802s with a krell fpb 600 amp in 98 I knew I heard what I thought recorded music should sound like. I feel I get better sound out of my P2, Vega, and Ref8 cable. Like I said SE is good for me but loses much when I switch to balanced. The little things make music sound more live to me. I get not everyone will hear what I hear and I am ok with that. All I am here for is to let others know what and how items I use sound to me. Obviously I am no reviewer but I do believe I have good ears, and hear differences even with some cables. Take it for what it is, a lover of music, not items that play them. There is always better out there. If you don't hear the difference between SE and balanced I could say you are lucky to not have to upgrade cables or worry about balanced at all. For me I feel I am lucky to hear what I hear and really get into and enjoy my music. What headphones or iems and cables do you use with the P2 if you don't mind my asking? I hear the biggest differences with the Vega. I love how they make my music sound. Glad to see other people as passionate as I am about music. Thanks for the response and being honest, that is why I keep coming here and looking to what people say. Hope I didn't sound too snobby, that was not my intention. I just want others to know what I hear is absolutely real to me. Enjoy the music my friend!

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #675 of 1,024
I didn't say I don't hear difference between SE and balanced at all(my hearing is quite good) I just don't hear that in P2 (tested on Andromeda's)since that player doesn't provide truly balanced output .SQ of Plenue 2 is superior to me and the differnce from balanced output is not that big to me so I don't feel the need of spending hundrets or thousands of dollars on cables for IEMs .
The real advantage from balanced output I can achieve from desktop audio system to isolate audio signal from electomagnetic interference,induction hum etc. The balanced output in portable players is mostly pure marketing in my opinion but if you hear big improvments form balanced output from that player that's good- I don't negate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back