Cowon or Sony
Jun 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #32 of 85
Jun 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #33 of 85
I agree FLAC on a portable is a waste of space. And iAudiophile.net is all the Cowon support a person will need.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #36 of 85
Quote:
Anyone have feedbackk on Sony A865, 16gb for $170 USD?

That's a lot of money for 16GB.....better to get an S-series or E-series for much less $$-per-GB. Also, pretty sure they'd both get longer battery life than the A-series.

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #38 of 85
Quote:
I agree FLAC on a portable is a waste of space.

I don't know if I agree. There's been a convergence of PMPs and Smartphones. Similarly I think there is a convergence of portable and desktop setups with something like the dx100. Being able to output digital audio from 'droid devices and compatibility with portable dac/amp combo devices as well as conventional desktop setups is also a good move.

The portable dac/amp combo devices as well as standalones like the dx100 show impressive development for portable high quality audio performance. Looking forward to seeing what's next from all these innovators
popcorn.gif

The release of large capacity (and increasingly affordable) flash/ssd memory is also making it feasible to store lossless music on a portable device.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #39 of 85
Quote:
That's a lot of money for 16GB.....better to get an S-series or E-series for much less $$-per-GB. Also, pretty sure they'd both get longer battery life than the A-series.

You're absolutely correct: S545, 16gb and 42hrs audio is $133  and E464,16gb and 50hrs audio is $100.   
What are the main differences between these? 

Does Sony make a 32gb S or E?

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #40 of 85
Quote:
You're absolutely correct: S545, 16gb and 42hrs audio is $133  and E464,16gb and 50hrs audio is $100.   
What are the main differences between these? 

Does Sony make a 32gb S or E?

The E464 is newer than the S545, and doesn't have the speakers that the S545 does. I had an S545 for a while and I liked it.....it sounded nice and as long as I used headphones and not the speakers, the battery seemed to last forever compared to my Rockboxed Clips. The only caveat with the Sony players? They are not gapless. (yeah, they don't do lossless, but that doesn't bother me)

I think there is a 32GB S-series, but that might be a non-North America item.....Sony doesn't seem to think anyone here in the USA has a lot of music, apparently.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #41 of 85
Quote:
The E464 is newer than the S545, and doesn't have the speakers that the S545 does. I had an S545 for a while and I liked it.....it sounded nice and as long as I used headphones and not the speakers, the battery seemed to last forever compared to my Rockboxed Clips. The only caveat with the Sony players? They are not gapless. (yeah, they don't do lossless, but that doesn't bother me)

I think there is a 32GB S-series, but that might be a non-North America item.....Sony doesn't seem to think anyone here in the USA has a lot of music, apparently.

Lol, when I called a local Sony store, they stopped selling 32gb players because they did not sell well.

With good IEMs, who needs the less than audiophile speakers
wink_face.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #42 of 85
I know have the Mp3 in my possession. I haven't listened to it yet but i will give you guy's a Blunt and to the point rundown of how they sound in a couple day's.(if not tomorrow when im done syncing My mp3's to it)

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #43 of 85
Quote:
I don't know if I agree. There's been a convergence of PMPs and Smartphones. Similarly I think there is a convergence of portable and desktop setups with something like the dx100. Being able to output digital audio from 'droid devices and compatibility with portable dac/amp combo devices as well as conventional desktop setups is also a good move.

The portable dac/amp combo devices as well as standalones like the dx100 show impressive development for portable high quality audio performance. Looking forward to seeing what's next from all these innovators
popcorn.gif

The release of large capacity (and increasingly affordable) flash/ssd memory is also making it feasible to store lossless music on a portable device.

I agree with your not agreeing.
tongue.gif
  Even with my 16GB Cowon C2, I can fit about 48-52 complete CD's in FLAC format. (I average about 3 - 3.5 CD's per GB)  If I pop in a flash card, I get much more. At any one time, I only have about 10 CD's in rotation that I want to listen to. That is true even with my 64GB iPod Touch. So, I personally don't see the need to have all my music with me all the time. Plus, it is EXTREMELY convenient to not have to maintain multiple formats. That is rip to FLAC, then transcode to MP3 and/or AAC formats for portables.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #44 of 85
Quote:
Lol, when I called a local Sony store, they stopped selling 32gb players because they did not sell well.

Those of us who want more than 16GB of space are a niche market, at least on the North American continent....lol

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #45 of 85
Quote:

Those of us who want more than 16GB of space are a niche market, at least on the North American continent....lol

Sadly, this is the truth. But for me it's also about form factor. I said I wanted a Sony with 32 or 64 GB on board, but I want it with the size, battery life, and TACTILE controls of my S639. The X and A Series are great devices, but I want SIMPLE!!! These are just too big & contain more than most will care about,...I'm still not fond of touch screen devices. I own 'em, but what real choices are there nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back