COWON O2 now available in the US
Oct 30, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's hope he realises this time a headphone load should be in place before comparing headphone outs.

Or stops himself commenting on how add-on volume controls have little effect on the sound when set at full volume before he realises that add-on volume controls have to be set to a certain volume level before it actually has an impedance bearing on the headphone output...
tongue.gif

OH NO! Say it ain't so...I thought he was an expert
redface.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Let's hope he realises this time a headphone load should be in place before comparing headphone outs.

Or stops himself commenting on how add-on volume controls have little effect on the sound when set at full volume before he realises that add-on volume controls have to be set to a certain volume level before it actually has an impedance bearing on the headphone output...
tongue.gif

Well, if you look at the RMAA results in my post above Lostphil's you'll notice that dfkt did test the D2 loaded with different headphones. His website also has test results from different players, all with headphones attached. I don't know if he did unloaded RMAA results and posted them here, but he is not doing that anymore. No need to make fun of him for some prior mistake.

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a terrible, less than basic review.

yeah, that's a pretty worthless review. Where's part 2?

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you look at the RMAA results in my post above Lostphil's you'll notice that dfkt did test the D2 loaded with different headphones. His website also has test results from different players, all with headphones attached. I don't know if he did unloaded RMAA results and posted them here, but he is not doing that anymore. No need to make fun of him for some prior mistake.

The former in my post is common, and I didn't make a lot of it. The latter... is the more interesting one. You can more or less figure out how people think with their postings and that didn't give me a whole lot of confidence.

I'm liking the format support of this machine. If it does indeed play back all common iPod video encodings (most commonly the iPhone friendly video format, and the iPod-friendly Quicktime encodings used on many video podcasts) I'd be basically interested to try it out. Otherwise it's kind of pointless to have to walk around with an iPod and the O2 to deal with audio and video, especially as the sound quality difference (at EQ neutral) likely isn't that great to all but the fanboyest of fanboys.

Given the example set by the D2's perpetual betaness though, there are other things I'd need working in order to look at it... including working playlisting w/OTF and bug-free self-databasing with no weird defaults for navigating said database.

Oct 31, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, that's a pretty worthless review. Where's part 2?

Well, I thought it was better than the crappy Cnet review. And it's better than nothing...

Still, over here: Cowon O2 Preview is a preview and I think the review will be quite detailed and usefull.

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

The former in my post is common, and I didn't make a lot of it. The latter... is the more interesting one. You can more or less figure out how people think with their postings and that didn't give me a whole lot of confidence.

We all learn. Yes, common sense does come into it but the obvious is sometimes missed as you've probably found out yourself at some point.

I'd certainly trust dfkt's results and I'd find them useful if I was considering the O2, although I don't think I can justify it at present even if it turned out great.

Quote:

Given the example set by the D2's perpetual betaness though, there are other things I'd need working in order to look at it... including working playlisting w/OTF and bug-free self-databasing with no weird defaults for navigating said database.

That's what is worrying me to be honest if they haven't learnt from their mistakes with the D2 firmware. The D2 is very picky about it's video and that anythingbutipod preview suggests the O2 is the same which is a huge downfall for a PMP. I actually love the D2 for what it is but at the end of the day, if this isn't more polished then it'll be a no go.

Apparently there's been a firmware upgrade for it already so maybe some of the issues have been solved, we'll have to see.

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostPhil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what is worrying me to be honest if they haven't learnt from their mistakes with the D2 firmware. The D2 is very picky about it's video and that anythingbutipod preview suggests the O2 is the same which is a huge downfall for a PMP. I actually love the D2 for what it is but at the end of the day, if this isn't more polished then it'll be a no go.

Apparently there's been a firmware upgrade for it already so maybe some of the issues have been solved, we'll have to see.

I've had them since the M3's and given the history, I really don't see them suddenly getting their act together and not using their customers as an alpha base, do you? This is what gets me about Cowon gear most of all. A lot of the time the firmware couldn't even be said to be beta quality when it's released.

I think certainly in terms of the documented features it's enough for me to check out. I would be very pleasantly surprised if we don't have to flagellate ourselves once again with a Cowon purchase. I do really hope it's not another typical Cowon - to be yet another beta in progress and to be overhyped by the nerds.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #55 of 72
Well I had the A2 and it was pretty much the opposite experience HAHA great experience in terms of firmware. The newer firmware for the A2s did nothing but ADD features, something very few manufactures do... and very few bugs too...

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #56 of 72
Based on the initial reports, I thought the O2 had an FM tuner. However, I don't see it listed in the specs. Does it have one? If not, this could be a deal breaker for me.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #58 of 72
I'm waiting on mine. So excited.
biggrin.gif

I like my D2 but I've found myself watching a lot more tennis, football (oops, I mean soccer lol!) and other videos so I think is going to serve me well.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No tuner, and very limited functionality ATM.

what Cowon did there ?
No fm tuner. are you sure ?

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what Cowon did there ?
No fm tuner. are you sure ?

Yes. It doesn't feature many of those extras you're used to seeing in a cowon player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back