COWON O2 now available in the US
Oct 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the sound chip is the same[well it is newer] and all the sound settings & EQ be the same.

This roll-off is non-existant with decent headphones.

I've got Triple.fi

Will I suffer from the rolloff?

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #32 of 72
^ Dunno about IEMs? ESW9s being portable supra-aurals.

I hear that hissing will be more annoying for you...this should be solved by adding resistance.

Roll-off is not your blaring piece of bad SQ, it is quite subtle and some folk like it. Like the 'heinous' Sennheiser veil, doesn't stop Senns selling.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #33 of 72
It's just that I use Zen Vision M which is a bit lacking in bass, so I want a bit of improvement bass-wise.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #34 of 72
Well, it is a plain truth that IEMs do worst out of bassy headphones for bass[tiny drivers].
You'd need bigger 'phones.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #35 of 72
Damnit they don't ship internationally. Are there other websites selling this that actually ships internationally?

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Well the sound chip is the same[well it is newer] and all the sound settings & EQ be the same.

I disagree, regardless of what the frequency graphs show, when I had it the D2 + Mini3 + HD600 wasn't nearly as punch and didn't go nearly as deep as when I swapped it out for my iRiver.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damnit they don't ship internationally. Are there other websites selling this that actually ships internationally?

I believe this site does: MP3 - MP3spelers.nl But it's quite expensive compared to the US price.

I'm not sure if you should be concerned at bass roll-off, after all, Cowon has some pretty good customisable EQ built in it.

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #39 of 72
Too big IMO. If it had wi-fi i would be interested. If the d2 had wi-fi it would be sweet, however you would still have to carry a phone.

The iPhone is the best for everything in one, but its an ipod, a turn-off for me, along with itunes. For me a phone with a qwerty keyboard, 3g and wi-fi (Nokia E61 -cheap used) and the D2 is perfect.

The S9 looks nice however no expandability shortens the life of the player for me, and i would still have to carry a phone, albeit my cheapo K750i, however the browsing on the S9 i think will be half assed and will be trumped by most smart phones phones anyway.

The Meziu iphone looks like a viable alternative, but the Meziu players i have seen dont have SDHC, or even album art, so im not holding my hopes up for an all in one iphone rival to replace the D2 AND E61.

I couldnt live without anything but the D2 for now. Can't wait to get a data plan avec E61... Perfect setup IMHO.

Matt

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Naw, the D2 is too great a player. Cowon will still be making it, and FWIW they may grace us w/the coveted 32gb model (that's just a fantasy BTW).

I never really got why the D2 is so feted. It's expandable (which is of debated value since I replace my players often), long-lived in terms of battery life but it is correspondingly bulky, the touchscreen is fiddly and the OS is generally just a nerdfest overall. The sound quality is also not too far away from the 5G iPod... So respectable, but not stellar, and that certainly didn't make it worth keeping for me.

I am VERY interested in the O2 though. If I'm not mistaken it's the first flash Cowon to support iPod video formats, which hopefully makes video podcasts 'native' and not require transcoding. Audiowise I'm thinking that since Cowon are usually pretty good in their battery estimate quotes, I should be able to get at least ~12h with 256K.

Could someone confirm once they get it that popular vidcasts like say Tekzilla, Mahalo Daily, etc all play back correctly on the O2 when you select Quicktime download?

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

What exactly is a decent headphone by your definition?

The D2 rolls off bass quite significantly with any headphone with an impedance of ~45 ohms or less. Many, if not all, IEMS and even regular full sized headphones (All Audio Technica and Denon headphones) fall into this category.

Quote:

Roll-off is not your blaring piece of bad SQ, it is quite subtle and some folk like it. Like the 'heinous' Sennheiser veil, doesn't stop Senns selling.

The roll off is a lot more than subtle with my D5000. Some people have described the D2 as "clinical" sounding and that is exactly what happens when the warmth and body given by bass is removed. This is exactly what the D2 is doing with the 25 ohm D5000.

Look at the following page. The rolloff starts at 200hz!

D2 RMAA

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #42 of 72
Can we please not assume that the O2 will have the same issues and sound as the D2 until it's actually compared and "proven" please?
(ie. no point in discussing the pretty well known pit falls of the D2 on this thread)

And I thought the O2 had more in common with the A3 since it's using the Davinci chip anyway?

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostPhil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we please not assume that the O2 will have the same issues and sound as the D2 until it's actually compared and "proven" please?
(ie. no point in discussing the pretty well known pit falls of the D2 on this thread)

And I thought the O2 had more in common with the A3 since it's using the Davinci chip anyway?

I believe dfkt has ordered the o2 so at least one person will be doing an RMAA test. I, for one, really hope that cowon dealt with the bass rolloff issue as I think it was present with all their previous players. I'll bet that many people (like me) are waiting for an RMAA test and an audio review of the o2 and s9 before buying.

We'll know soon enough I suppose.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe dfkt has ordered the o2 so at least one person will be doing an RMAA test. I, for one, really hope that cowon dealt with the bass rolloff issue as I think it was present with all their previous players. I'll bet that many people (like me) are waiting for an RMAA test and an audio review of the o2 and s9 before buying.

We'll know soon enough I suppose.

Let's hope he realises this time a headphone load should be in place before comparing headphone outs.

Or stops himself commenting on how add-on volume controls have little effect on the sound when set at full volume before he realises that add-on volume controls have to be set to a certain volume level before it actually has an impedance bearing on the headphone output...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back