COWON i9/S9 - Sound Quality and the ULTIMATE EQ
Jan 24, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #31 of 53
I don't own cowon player (I'm still running Rio ce2100), so I have no comment. I do like treble, but I'm almost always able to hear the treble that I want because I'm used to listening for/to it from playing violin in a string orchestra. I just leave my eq (computer and ce2100) on flat unless I find a reason that I need to boost something (say for example, I want to essentially isolate a bass part).

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by miow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, how can you listen to music with this EQ? Yeah, definitely everyone has his own ear and taste. I love (very) strong highs and bass on PMPs.
smily_headphones1.gif
Call me names, but I do.

When I said ULTIMATE, I was obviously kidding. It's just MY prefered EQ on this PMP. Anyways hard to believe that I'm the only one liking this. lol.

So I believe that most of you guys hate treble.

How can I listen to music like that? I guess I like to hear ALL my music and not just hugely exaggerated highs and bass.

I didn't call you any names, only said that your EQ setting was obnoxious. Frankly, I think you might need to get your hearing checked or your ears cleaned. You may have hearing damage from being in loud environments or listening to your music too loud, or just an build up of earwax deep in your ear. But I am not a doctor. I just know that personally I have a pretty sharp drop in my hearing at around 14kHz, not sure why but I assume it's because I listened to my headphones too loud in high school. However, even with that I still do not need to pump up the highs like your EQ setting does.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #33 of 53
It's just a question of taste. I always loved very stong highs. Even on the car. I used to put extra tweeters, which used to seem exagerated to most of my friends. But well, what can I do? :p I'm a treble-head! Some are bass-heads. lol. But I do ear very well since my last visit to the doctor.

I wasn't saying that you were calling me names. lol. I told that one can call me names for hearing music like that. But thats how I feel the music. I remember when I had a band and used a ROLAND 30 band equalizer just to listen to those vivid/pure highs from my voice. My colleagues never understood why I used that. :p Well, I just have to, to feel the real thing.
beyersmile.png
Of course that on the studio when listening from monitors I use it totally flat, but it's different things. The real pleasure comes later after masterization (for a "treble-head", of course
k701smile.gif
).

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowon S9 is the best mp3 player ever made without a dout, but good lord it has massive volume needs. Seriously, the volume limit even with the mod is incredibly low, and the s9 cant run things the sansa fuze can and its half the size!

I sold my s9 to afford a more portable pmp in the fuze. Great player, but too big and not nearly loud enough

cant u just use a mini to mini from the s9 line out and into an amp?( i know it sometime considered and audio fopaw, but there isnt any toher way,,, ?? besides ive tried this with an ipod and my rsa amp and it wasnt that bad.♠

does anyone else out there amp there s9, if so how and wht do u use thanks.

i bought this for a bday/christmass gift for someone and their first impressions,, they are loving it it so much, and know im really wanting one
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #35 of 53
The S9 has no line out. Just the headphone out. The Headphone provides plenty of volume imho, in your PM you said you had the TF10s and I can say that the max volume on the S9 with the TF10 is ear splitting loud. If you're not deaf before turing it up like that, you will be after.

I bought my amp (iBasso T3) as a toy as much as anything, and while I think it provides some improvement to the S9/TF10 combo I really would have a hard time recommending it just for that purpose. Now, if you just really want to buy an amp for the sake of it (curiosity, whatever) or have other applications for it (PC, other IEMs, DAPs, etc), the T3 seems about as good as any in it's price range, and it certainly does not degrade the sound.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #36 of 53
@ Rockin'

I use an amp with my S9 (iBasso D10), headphone out to line in, works a treat, although I find the volume capabilities of the S9 more than enough with the stock amp. (From reading above it does appear the guy complaining about volume must have had a faulty unit, seriously it would deafen you to put the volume up to max)

I bought the D10 as a DAC/Amp mainly, it's use as a standalone headphone amp is a nice extra and brings some subtle pleasing improvements to definition and separation (sorry if this doesn't make sense, I don't know the standard "audiophile terminology" for describing sound).

Since I only have low impedance phones for portable use I don't think my S9 or any DAP really "needs" and amp, but it certainly brings something nice to the show.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #37 of 53
TIP: to completely get rid of distortion at any level of bass (first column on the EQ), just change the frequency from default (80Hz) to 105Hz. At this frequency bass-heads will be able to take bass to the limits without distortion what so ever. BBE at higher levels also accentuates bass and gives you more detail.

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ He means if you select "Europe" as your setting on the S9 it will limit the volume. There is no "France" setting.

Doesn't happens with mine (set to Europe). Volume is crazy. I can't hear any higher than 25 without getting deaf. Older series, maybe, or because I haven't updated firmware yet.

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

TIP: to completely get rid of distortion at any level of bass (first column on the EQ), just change the frequency from default (80Hz) to 175Hz. At this frequency bass-heads will be able to take bass to the limits without distortion what so ever. BBE+ at higher levels also accentuates bass and gives you more detail.

Bring the thing up to 175hz??? Wow, you really don't know what the heck your doing, do you???
popcorn.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #40 of 53
I know FOR SHURE.
wink.gif
I guess YOU have no idea of what you're talking about. lol.

CORRECTION: I didn't want to say 175HZ, but 105Hz. Sorry.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #41 of 53
I use the Ibasso D2+ Boa with the S9 and Sennheiser IE8. The sound is fantastic. Yesterday I bought a cable from Whiplash and see how much that will improve the sound

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #42 of 53
Yes, this is definitely the best sounding MP3 player on the market. Crystal clear sound, superb definition. I had the Sony A828 before, which sounds very good, but this is definitely one step forward in definition/detail/clarity. Reminds me my Hi-Fi system/M-Audio sound card.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Yes, this is definitely the best sounding MP3 player on the market. Crystal clear sound, superb definition. I had the Sony A828 before, which sounds very good, but this is definitely one step forward in definition/detail/clarity. Reminds me my Hi-Fi system/M-Audio sound card.

Just out of interest, what DAP's have you heard?

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #44 of 53
I love my S9, I have been slightly frustrated with how warm my HD25's sound lately. At first I loved a warm signature and bass. But lately I have been getting tired of it. Last night I spent some time playing with my EQ and wow I love the way they sound now. How people drop 1000+ on a portable rig that includes an ipod blows my mind.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by zantoz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you have set the European volume limit, that reduces the maximum volume a lot. You need to reinstall the firmware or delete one of the .sol file (I can't remember which file, but I guess config.sol) in the sol folder and then select non-EU countries.

I'm having this volume problem apperantly, I get ridiculous low volume with all but my IEMs (even KSC75 ***!). I updated to v2.51 and removed ASUCI1_MAINMENU.sol and ASUCI1_COMMON.sol, All other files seem to be related to only to GUI, but the situation didn't change and i can't find where to change this region setting. Can somebody help out?

Edit: NM, Dragged my a*s up to iaudiophile.net and saw this thread, Very helpfull. Just to delete the PARAM file, and you're done. I can finally appreciate the ViVa and Rock presets with my dynamics, No need for EQ even with se530, Cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back