Cowon D2 Vs Zune
Oct 29, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PSST,.......... the S9's gonna have a FM tuner, 32gb, 3.3" screen, 40hrs audio, 8hrs video, and be sexy as ALL HELL!!! Unless your really set on a Zune, and it is a nice ride, the S9 is the move. I know it's a lot less capacity, but the feature set IS stunning!!!

Who makes the S9?

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #48 of 62
Hopefully soon, by mid Nov I believe. Waiting to see if Stuff.TV does any preview of it this weekend, it's supposed to be 1 of the features of their event: Welcome to STUFF | Stuff
This way, at the least, we can get a taste of it, and see if it's actually worth the wait. If it's a no/go, then the O2 really is the move after all.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Hopefully soon, by mid Nov I believe. Waiting to see if Stuff.TV does any preview of it this weekend, it's supposed to be 1 of the features of their event: Welcome to STUFF | Stuff
This way, at the least, we can get a taste of it, and see if it's actually worth the wait. If it's a no/go, then the O2 really is the move after all.

The other thing is the 32gb won't be out until even later, which probably means early 2009. Grr. Haha, I don't know what to do!

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #50 of 62
The 32gb O2 was also scheduled for "Later", but it's being released at the same time. Hint: Cowon has learned that the demand for their new players is too great. The End result should be that all the capacities are released on a similar time table, as per the O2's release. In the end, those of us that wan't it now, GET it NOW!

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

The 32gb O2 was also scheduled for "Later", but it's being released at the same time. Hint: Cowon has learned that the demand for their new players is too great. The End result should be that all the capacities are released on a similar time table, as per the O2's release. In the end, those of us that wan't it now, GET it NOW!

Ah, if it's out next month (32gb) and is no more than the cost of a 32gb iPod touch, I'll probably get it. Haha. As long as it gets good reviews. :]

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shigzeo, first of all, thank u. learned a few things reading your posts
smily_headphones1.gif

i remember u mentioned A810/820 hisses with UM2, even more than D2. i'm using S639F, replacing my D2 and it hardly make a hiss. with D2, i can hear significant hiss even at volume 8/50. seem like the noise being lowered to minimum for newer sony.

it is nice to hear that sony are finally fixing the hiss which really turned me off. i do not like the no gapless option of their players unless you burn atrac from cd and only with sonic stage but they have such good bass definition.

i would love to hear the new s639 but i am completely sold on my touch. cheers

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #53 of 62
I have 'Audio Technica ATH-A700' headphones. With these headphones will I be able to to distinguish SQ differences between D2 and Zune 120? I listen to classicall music.

Dose the the Zune 120 have a line out?

Thank You

Al

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #54 of 62
Neither the Zune nor the D2 has a line out. But, both can use the headphone out to an amp for improved sq, and both will sound fantastic. I have both players, and unless your going to use the many EQ settings on the D2, they'll both sound great amped.
If you use the headphone out unamped, the D2 has a definite advantage in SQ, as the EQ really adds to the sound quality as a whole. If you do use an amp, both will be equal, as you would be advised to turn off all equalizer and sound enhancement features. Having them on will only destroy the sound, and can completely distort ANY type of music you may listen to.
to sum it up: Unamped - the D2 is the winner. With an amp - there pretty much equal. It all depends on which you prefer to use, and which 1 has the feature set you prefer most.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

If you use the headphone out unamped, the D2 has a definite advantage in SQ, as the EQ really adds to the sound quality as a whole.

I am using PCDP now with my 'Audio Technica ATH-A700' headphones. They do not have EQ. I juar pop in the cd and try to become one with the music.

I doubt I would use EQ on the D2. By time I get the EQ set up the train will be pulling into grand central. If I do not use the D2 EQ - Is it safe to assume that the D2 and Zune 120 have equal unamp SQ.

If I go the amped route would an ipod be better because it has line out.

Thnak You

Al

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #56 of 62
If your not planning on EQing w/the D2, get the Zune, the SQ will be very nice. The D2 is MADE to EQ, so I'd actually have second thoughts about getting 1 then. Plus, if you get the Zune 120 you'll have a decent amount of space, more than enough to start using Lossless on the Zune.
If your going line out (LOD) I'd say that you probably would be better off w/an ipod. Paired w/a nice LOD cable and good amp, wow, that would be some excellent SQ. I'd do the ipod in that case.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobParker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune would win with expandable memory and plug and play (no ****ty zune computer software)

The D2 has that too.....

You dunno what the hell you're talking about do you?
Either that or a fanboy....

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2 has that too.....

You dunno what the hell you're talking about do you?
Either that or a fanboy....

I think his point was that, if the Zune had expandable memory and drag-and drop functionality then it would be equal or better than the D2. So you simply misunderstood/failed to interpret his post and such there is no need to flame him.

On topic; I have the D2 and like it. Haven't really thought of the bass rolloff, if I listen to a player that apparently does not have it I may be able to hear a difference. I will definitely take it into consideration when getting a new player though. I haven't heard the Zune, but I think it's a shame that there are no new high capacity players coming out supporting a dedicated line out either integrated or with LOD other than the iPod..

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #60 of 62
Zune with Zune Pass is tough to beat. I've have both the Zune w/ Zune Pass and D2. I find the D2 to be on the cold side.

Zune negatives would be no drag & drop and no flac. The D2 will also syn with Zune Pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back