Cowon D2 Vs Zune
Oct 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

PepsiCo

New Head-Fier
I need a new DAP, but I'm undecided between a Cowon D2 16gb and a Zune 120. I have about 45GB of music in ~192kbps mp3. If I get the D2, I'll get a 16gb SD card too (and eventually 32gb+
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I'll probably be using cheap headphones (Panasonic RP-HTX7, Skullcandy earbuds, and/or JVS marshmallows/air cushions) until the Westone 3s come out.

So, which one of these will sound better with mp3s and maybe some lossless files thrown in?

P.S. I've read other threads about these two, but they seem to mostly be about lossless files, not mp3s.

Edit: I'm coming from a iAudio X5L, and I really like the Jeteffects, but I haven't used it in about a year, so I'd be able to handle no equalizer fine. Overall, the D2 seems to have more features, I guess all I'm really asking is what will sound better with lower quality files? Thanks!

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had both and prefer the Zune.
The D2 is not bad at all though, despite what you read on several threads here.

lol what are you talking about? cowon d2 is easily the DAP of choice here on head-fi and preferred over most (if not all) DAP when considering sound quality alone.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by freckling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol what are you talking about? cowon d2 is easily the DAP of choice here on head-fi and preferred over most (if not all) DAP when considering sound quality alone.

Probably the hissing sound many people hear with the D2.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PepsiCo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the hissing sound many people hear with the D2.

he's not talking about the hiss as he never mentioned it in his post. secondly, why anyone cares about hiss when the d2 isn't playing music is beyond me. i dont wear my headphones and carry around my dap just for kicks.

also, please use the search function. this has already been discussed.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/co...-sound-305487/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/so...e-80-a-305977/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/co...s-zune-246705/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/be...won-d2-240081/

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by freckling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, please use the search function. this has already been discussed.

I've read all those already, and on other sites. But when it comes to sound quality, everyone seems to compare lossless files, which isn't what I'm asking about.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PepsiCo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read all those already, and on other sites. But when it comes to sound quality, everyone seems to compare lossless files, which isn't what I'm asking about.

Oh ok, well, assuming you don't use only 64/128 kbps mp3 files, I'd still go with the Cowon.

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 62
I prefer the Zune's sound also, if you won't miss eq. I would go that route, however I didn't like the zune software. But that was when the flash zunes first came out, I guess the new software is much better.

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 62
I've owned both the D2 and Zune 80, and I prefer the Zune.

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 62
I currently have a D2. I owned the 80, but will be buying the 120 in a few weeks. Personally, i prefer zune's SQ over the D2's. The D2 has many great features (some you'll use and some you won't. The zune is very simplistic (software and navigation). It might be easier if you just get the zune so that you can have all of your music together and not on an external SD in addition to the internal memory. If i had to recommend one of the two players i would support the zune--although, the D2's battery life is exceptional :p

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 62
I too owned both and sold both. Of the two i'd say I liked the Zune it has a great interface and controls, but no EQ turned me off. The closest you'll get to the X5 is the Meizu M6.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 62
Question...

"I prefer the Zune."

For ease of operation? For better interface? Sound quality with stock ear buds? Sound quality with an external amp? Sound quality when plugged into a system? Using which format?

Exactly why do you prefer the Zune?

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #15 of 62
the Zune is just a solid player from top to bottom. I just got one several days ago and have zero complaints about the device. the software isn't the best, but it's growing on me and i'm starting to notice some neat things they have.

so I can't help you with narrowing it down, its an all-encompassing well designed and executed package. it sounds great, it's small (flash player here), the screen looks amazing and I can't think of any possible way to improve the interface. it's intuitive and gives you as much or as little ways to setup playlists as you want or just manually playing full albums. Also, my past mp3 player experience is a first gen ipod (yeah the big bricks), but I noticed on this Zune that if you remove the headphone jack the player automatically pauses and starts the shutdown timer. This is a really handy feature for preserving every ounce of battery life or keeping your place if you somehow manage to pull your headphone jack loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back