Cowon D2 plus still worth buying?
Nov 16, 2009 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

limathy

100+ Head-Fier
In the market for my new DAP.
Will be used for a wide range of music, mostly with triplefi's, ES7, re0, and ms1
Was initially looking at the touch 32gb and cowon S9.

wasnt a big fan of the 80gb ipod classic sound sig. I've tried the touch 2g, thought it was good, could be better, but didnt dislike it i guess.

Just wondering if the D2, is still a good player worth considering? or has it largely been superseeded by the S9 and the touch?

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 34
how is rockbox on it? is there a lot of stability issues/problems?

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 34
price isnt quite as significant a factor, but it does help to be cheaper. Intend to keep it for a while, so dont mind paying a little more. A D2+ with a 32gb card is still less than an ipod touch or a S9 32gb in AUS.

I guess its more how does it rate SQ wise, i do like the idea ox expandability, and intend of getting a 32gb card if i do get one. I've read that the sound is quite modifiable even if purists out there dont like the idea.

biggest concern is i disliked the classic because it was unnatural sounding, the touch seems better and dont mind it too much, could be better.

But i guess usability of the UI etc. is also a consideration.

The D2 is supposed to be cold and analytical from browsing the forums? but can be modified significantly with all the effects?

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 34
Ha! Never looked at it that way. The fact that even if you get a D2+ 16GB with at 32GB card (for a total of 48GB) it's cheaper than the 32 GB S9/iPod Touch is amazing. Also, I just noticed that D2+ doesn't need that proprietary cable like the S9 does to connect to computers.

I guess if you don't mind the non-AMOLED screen, and resistive touch (the stylus type), the D2+ is a strong consideration along with the S9. I was set on getting the S9 because of it's screen/SQ praises, but now that you pointed that out, I'm considering D2+ as well.

As far as keeping it for a while, I intend to do the same, and 32 GB should be fine for me, even though my music library is reaching the high 50GBs. I'd probably only keep 15-20 or so on the player at any time, and leave the rest open for videos.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 34
yeh i'm in a similar situation, got about 45gb, and growing. 32 would be enough, If the S9 had the standard mini-usb connector it would be the winner.
The one benefit of everyone having ipods is anywhere you go someone is bound to have a cable. And i tend to lose these kinds of things.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 34
@Trev - that's awesome, I'm glad to hear the D2 can drive those phones well. I'm hoping the S9 can do the same.

@limathy, Yeah, I sometimes wish one or the other had a less amazing battery life. Only then would there be a CLEAR winner
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the cable, it sucks a bit, but according to the link on the bottom, it's pretty standard in Asia, and is being used by a few big companies as the new standard universal cable. Also, it does TV-out, but you're right, they should have included a mini-USB as well.

I'd probably just keep the cable in my bag, so it's always with me, while I have the charger plugged in for at-home charging. Also, if I was in a bind, I could probably go out to any electronics store and buy a LG/other korean company cable with the same connector.

Cowon S9 Connection Not Micro USB? - Cowon S9 Accessories - abi>>forums

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #12 of 34
I love my d2 its never missed a beat ever ,locked up skipped ,anything, its like its hewn from solid stone. was listening to my ultrasone demo cd on sunday and with my amp its just amazing.
wiating for the telcast t51 to compare to at xmass.
sounds to me that the s9 has a similar sq but that the tweaks like bbe+ viva ect make the difference, as i only use the bbe at 1 this put me off the s9 plus the d2 was only £50 new (2gb with sd card ,battery life still amazing)

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #13 of 34
compared me d2 against a touch 16.
not even close.

the d2 is an audio player, the touch plays audio.
there's a difference, a world of difference.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #14 of 34
Idk, I bought mine primarily based on the price point which I found very attractive. An incomparably better value than ipods.

The S9 sounds better (I would presume) but you're paying a premium for the screen and the video capabilities which just weren't necessary for me.

Consider the Clip+. You realistically aren't going to watch too much on the D2+ and the clip+ is smaller, cheaper and sounds better IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back