Cowboy Bebop fans?!?
Jun 17, 2003 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

finleyville

100+ Head-Fier
Anyway...

I just saw one episode on TV and a snippet downloaded on my 'puter and have become a HUGE fan. I just have some questions.

I like the originial japanese dialog w/ eng. sub's better than english dubbed. There are many different releases of the 26 episodes on Ebay right now. Which ones are good and which ones are just a rip off? I saw one going for almost $300 while the majority are $30. Does anyone have these in their collection that can shed some light? Thanks.

Jun 17, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 17
Hey Finleyville

at Amazon, all six DVDs are only $98.90, free shipping.
(<---Click that pic!)
B00007LLIV.01._PE45_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

These DVDs have BOTH Japanese language with Eng. Sub and English language dub (Which truly is high quality for a dub, the voices really are great).

if you click on that img. link, it will take you to Amazon and give Head-fi a percent of the total of your order...so that way you can give a little back to Headfi AND get DVDs you will love.

I have the Bebop boxed set...and of all my DVDs these get the most use...so easy to watch them over and over.

go for it, you'll love them

Jun 17, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 17
I agree, get the dvds from amazon. I have every episode on cd, but still plan on getting the DVDs in the future. I really want to get the soundtrack box set, but haven't really had any spare cash. Also, pick up the movie as well, it really shines light on Spike's attitude in the final episode.

For those of you that don't know, the soundtrack to Cowboy Bebop is a great mix of jazz, classical, and everything else by Yoko Kanno.

Jun 17, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 17
I have to agree with Capt.Bubba, I NEED to get the boxed set too. I only have the first soundtrack CD, and I love it.

and the movie (Knockin on Heaven's Door) is a must. it does add a lot to the overall story of the series, and because it is so long, it can really develop a successful and well rounded plot.

I will pick it up one of these days...but for some reason I cant access my Share the Love list any longer...and I'm cheap and want that 10% off...

Jun 17, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 17
Cowboy bepop had amazing production values and was quite entertaining.

However it really put me off that the main story line was so thin and didn't jump from episode to episode. Some might like that each episode stands on its own, but I prefer the big epic that hooks ya at episode 1 and you can't put down till the last episode
smily_headphones1.gif

There were a few recurring back stories, but none that really took importance
frown.gif

Good anime over all though!

Jun 17, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 17
TWIFOSP

I like the same epic style plot too, believe me.

Actually, one thing I actually really liked about Bebop was how disposable it could be. Jet's and Faye's backstories, I felt, were rather interesting, and silly episodes (eg, the Mushroom episode) were just that, silly and amusing, even if they didnt contribute much to the storyline.

Of course, I would prefer something deep, exploring Spike, Vicious, Julia, Jet....to the fullest extent, that's not what we are given here, so I just enjoy what we did get.

Now, for deep plotlines, and innumerable allusions for the audience to explore, Eva (Neon Genesis Evangelion) suits my needs (although it is too bizarre for some). It starts out a simple mecha series, but within a few episodes, the plot thickens, like cement.

/end nerdspeak

Jun 17, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by nanahachi
Now, for deep plotlines, and innumerable allusions for the audience to explore, Eva (Neon Genesis Evangelion) suits my needs (although it is too bizarre for some). It starts out a simple mecha series, but within a few episodes, the plot thickens, like cement.

sure it does.
smily_headphones1.gif

but bebop has a fun side i've never found anywhere else

00940, big fan too
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 17
FYI - The Cowboy Bebop movie comes out on DVD June 24th.

Jun 17, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 17
I really like Bebop. The standalone episodes are cool w/ me, since most of them are pretty enjoyable. But, the main storyline w/ Spike & Vicious really could've used a few more episodes scattered about. There just seemed to be no transitions between the random episodes and the main story, no setup, and that tends to bother me. It's like, the main story is introduced, then ignored for most of the series, then they just make it endgame time, gah.

Oh, and I own OST 1 and Vitaminless. The other CDs, I didn't care that much for.

Jun 17, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 17
Yep Cowboy Bebop was one of the first anime series I saw and it's still one of the best, it's up there with Kenshin and Hajime no Ippo (I'm a bit of a boxing and combat sport fan). If you enjoy Cowboy Bebop I can recommend Noir which has more of a main story that develops over the episodes, but it's a more serious series and lack the wackiness found in some Bebop episodes, like the ship contamination ep. which really cracked me up
smily_headphones1.gif
The Bebop movie is great too, also one of my favorite anime movies in the company of Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

Jun 17, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 17
@ m-w.com
bebop - see bop
Bop:
Main Entry: bop
Function: noun
Etymology: short for bebop
Date: 1947

1 : jazz characterized by harmonic complexity, convoluted melodic lines, and constant shifting of accent and often played at very rapid tempos
2 : JIVE 2

Cowboy - the protagonists are bounty hunters. space cowboys, so to speak

Bebop - the characters adventures are like a bebop (see def above)

Since I am lazy, here is Amazon's description:
Each of the snazzy 25-minute installments from the most popular Japanese animated TV series of 1998 is a satisfying adventure tale about a futuristic hipster bounty hunter. This is an elegant action-comedy anime, with smoothly integrated CGI space-flight elements, gorgeous graphics, blues harmonica and sax riffs on the soundtrack, and a no-sweat post-Tarantino attitude. Despite occasional eruptions of gun-fu Asian-action violence, and some intimations of heavy-duty drug use (in the first of 26 episodes, one especially noxious narcotic is administered as an aerosol spray straight onto the user's eyeballs), the tone is surprisingly convivial. None of the generic tough elements are grim or mean-spirited. Lanky antihero Spike Spiegel is a planet-hopping freelance hunter with an ex-cop sidekick named Jet, a loopy fellow hunter named Faye, a teenage computer hack, and a genetically enhanced Welsh corgi assistant in tow. The emphasis is on clever twists of plot in an episodic short-story format with as many wisecracks as punches being thrown. Unrated (suitable for ages 13 and older): violence, nudity, profanity, alcohol and tobacco use, occasional ethnic stereotypes

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by finleyville
There are many different releases of the 26 episodes on Ebay right now. Which ones are good and which ones are just a rip off? I saw one going for almost $300 while the majority are $30.

About 90% of the anime on eBay is ****ty bootlegs. Anything on VCD is going to be a bootleg for sure. Anything that is "Region free" or "Region zero" or "Multi-region" is also a bootleg. Legitimate releases are always region one (R1) in the US/Canada or region two (R2) in Japan/UK. Anything with "English and Chinese subtitles" is a bootleg for sure, unless it is region three, where some discs are released that way.

The only legitimate dvd release for Cowboy Bebop in North America is on six discs. The Japanese release is on nine discs, but you don't want that, as it costs a fortune and does not have any subtitles.

Why shouldn't you buy bootlegs? First, the video quality is ****ty. Second, the audio most likely will be, too. Third, the subtitles suck. They're mostly bad translations done by hacks who don't even speak proper Japanese, let alone proper English. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the bootleg outfits just fed the scripts into online translators. Lastly, bootlegs support organized crime, which means the money you pay for them is going to some very nasty groups of people.

Sorry if that sounded like a sermon, but I don't want anyone to make the mistake of buying bootlegs. Just be careful and check the disc reviews on Anime On Dvd to see how many discs a legitimate release is if you're not sure. I do highly recommend the Amazon bundle, as it's a great deal.

Jun 19, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by TWIFOSP
However it really put me off that the main story line was so thin and didn't jump from episode to episode. Some might like that each episode stands on its own, but I prefer the big epic that hooks ya at episode 1 and you can't put down till the last episode
smily_headphones1.gif

Neon Genesis Evangelion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back