Cover song better than original? Examples please.
May 30, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #77 of 134
This is the greatest cover of all time:

This is not bad:

Also - this guy is the king of covers:

(check his other videos! they are great!)

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #78 of 134
  For a completely different take on "Satisfaction" here is the great Otis Redding's immortal performance from the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival.

Truly outstanding and still not better than the Rolling Stones' original.

I am listening to this again and actually I think it is better than the original. Otis goes to church with this!

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #79 of 134
  I am listening to this again and actually I think it is better than the original. Otis goes to church with this!

Turnabout being fair play and all. Jagger and Richards freely admitted the soul and blues influences on their music so perhaps Otis is actual more original than the original.

Now, better, worse, or just different. Jagger was on record as saying that this was the best thing that ever happened to Satisfaction.1

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #80 of 134
Now. Hands down in response to the actual title and  SPIRIT of the thread.

Whenever I'm with you...

Whenever I hear this... I cannot help but wonder why noone ever thought to mix the Modfathers version with Martha's (actually Irving Berlin's) version. Could quite possibly have been the most spectacular mashup evah! When I listen I can hear the Vandellas version screaming out through Wellers vocals.

OH BTW if anyone out there has never heard the entire album "Setting Sons" shame on ya!
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #81 of 134
  "I Fought The Law" by the Bobby Fuller Four and then better by the Clash. Sure, The Bobby Fuller Four are still cool:

But The Clash were ready to unleash the beast:

You beat me to it! This, in  my opinion is one of the finest covers ever and that is no disrespect to the original which is , well... the original. Great, great stuff! 

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #82 of 134
Aerosmith's "Come Together" is leagues better than the original. It's just so much slimier.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #83 of 134
Some may say Disturbed's take on Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence", is better. My dad contests this, he likes the original more.

"The Nurse who loved me", by Failure. A Perfect Circle redid this, it's on the album "Thirteenth Step". I would DEFINITELY say A Perfect Circle made it better.

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #84 of 134
Anyone saying Disturbed is outdoing anyone needs their ears checked.

I will admit, though, that Limp Bizkit's cover of Behind Blue Eyes is REALLLLLLY good.

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #87 of 134
Personally I like the original better. YouTube comments are my source saying that some may like disturbed's version more.

Oh yeah, sorry man, I wasn't trying to accuse you of it. I just meant that whoever told you Disturbed's is better needs their ears checked. My bad!

May 4, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #89 of 134
Seems like Pioneer or What's Hifi prefers the Carmen Gomes version too;http://www.whathifi.com/news/pioneer-xdp-100r-worlds-first-mqa-ready-hi-res-music-player
Quote:
  Here are 2 examples of a well known song where I prefer another version than the original.

I'm On Fire; Carmen Gomes from the ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' album,

http://www.soundliaison.com/

This overwhelmingly well recorded album starts of with a mesmerizing version of the Springsteen classic, I really like the singers low key interpretation of the song, puts the lyrics into perspective.

The you tube version is not exactly the same as the download, download sounds better and the drum groove is a bit different, smoother, but it still gives a good impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back