Counterfeit AKG K701
Mar 10, 2008 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kydsid

500+ Head-Fier
Ok given that these headphones retail from reputable dealers, like TTVJ and HeadRoom for around $450 any ideas on the possibility of counterfeits, especially in ones going for $250 over on Ebay?

Are the ones on Ebay and elsewhere for almost half of retail real or what? How can they offer such a discount?

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 12
I highly doubt that they are counterfeit. The 701s would be too difficult to make a convincingly cheap copy of, and they are a niche headphone as well. $250 is the low end that i've seen the 701s sold for.

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly doubt that they are counterfeit. The 701s would be too difficult to make a convincingly cheap copy of, and they are a niche headphone as well. $250 is the low end that i've seen the 701s sold for.

Well aesthetically it would be quite easy. As for acoustics that would be a different story. But if it was still good acoustics and you didn't have a reference point, would you figure it out?

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 12
I haven't heard of any counterfeits yet. They're been selling on eBay around there for some time now. Considering what sellers want for shipping on eBey these days, you might as well just order from B&H - they're $299 there and I think you get free shipping. B&H is a completely trustworthy source.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 12
My friend (eBay id: audiosavings) used to sell them for $270 and they were definitely real. He has not had them in a while, but rest assured that real ones can be sold at that price by sellers not bound by "Minimum Advertised Price" (grey market).

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Nine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a pair online for around $220 shipped.

is this for a brand-new pair? from which site did you order them from?

Mar 10, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 12
there's no point in counterfeiting something that sells so few examples, and many of those to people who would be able to tell if the performance was off. A counterfeit version would be spotted and widely publicized within weeks. It's much easier and more profitable to sell 20 thousand knock-off cx300 to unsuspecting innocents, not to mention cheaper and easier to fake them in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back