Could we maybe make a sticky about Beats/Skullcandies - etc?
Dec 19, 2010 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
They are nearly universally reviled and there's a deluge of newbies who come in and ask about them and it's always the same conversation....

So...maybe it can be ONE thread at the top of the forum?  Just a thought.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 19
They should be added to the list of censored words.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 19

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Too funny!

With the same threads repeatedly being created, especially the ones that cite Beats and the like as superior to specific beloved audiophile headphones, I'm thinking that one of the online communities with more anarchistic sensibilities (i.e. 4chan) may just be having some laughs.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 19
Even if they don't read it initially we could always just link to it as opposed to have a discussion

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 19
What is wrong with reading in, lurking and close listening? I do not mind questions but some newbies almost expect answers as if Head-Fi is a fast food machine. 

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 19
what really gets me, is how many people ask, but don't want to do any research for themselves. i got into headphones about a month ago, and i discovered something amazing. when i am about to start a thread to ask a question, if i look, i can find a thread or 10 on the very question i have.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 19
To be completely honest, I almost cried when I held the Beats Solo HDs in my hands when I popped into Best Buy while xmas shopping. I couldn't believe how plasticy and tiny these things really were. Listening to them was even more laughable. What isn't funny at all is that they cost $200 and people have been buying them like crazy this holiday season. Its sad how misinformed everyone is about headphones and audio in general.

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Too funny!

With the same threads repeatedly being created, especially the ones that cite Beats and the like as superior to specific beloved audiophile headphones, I'm thinking that one of the online communities with more anarchistic sensibilities (i.e. 4chan) may just be having some laughs.

lol, do you really think 4chan spends its time coming to Head-Fi and trolling us by posting about Beats and Skullcandies? They have far better things to spend their time on.... like fapping, or photoshopping cat pictures, or trying to take down Amazon and Paypal's websites.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 19

maybe you could just guide them into a virtual gas chamber for an audiophile shower, what are you snobs like...

Why is everyone here so quick to call the other guy a snob or an elitist?

The point is that new folks seem bent on asking about Beats and Skullcandies etc. Why not just have a resource that states what we already know is the overwhelming consensus?

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 19
Very few people on here who comment on beats or skullcandies have even heard them. Personally i like my Solo HDs , they wont replace my HD600s for home use but for portable use they are better than my ES7. Beats , Q701 much the same if you ask me, at least the beats arent a cheap rebrand.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
what really gets me, is how many people ask, but don't want to do any research for themselves. i got into headphones about a month ago, and i discovered something amazing. when i am about to start a thread to ask a question, if i look, i can find a thread or 10 on the very question i have.

+1

I also like the idea in this thread, though I'd like to go farther. I suggest a Headphoneus Supremus go ahead and put together a beginners' guide for headphone choices, based on common needs (MOAR BASSSS!!11!!1, different genres of music, etc.), as well as pointing out the bad value/don't buy these they suck products. I would also organize it by budget. We could do it for each year and list them all as stickies for posterity. If this has already been done (I'm sure it has at least been tried) it needs more promotion. And I'm not counting that "8 bajillion portable cans shootout," not because it isn't incredibly well written and informative, but because it's a lot to wade through and is a bit too specific in its scope (yet too wide in its seeming mission to catalog every conceivable product which might fall under that heading). Something purpose-built, easy to read, simple, and easy to find would be great for newcomers and would save us time typing "I recommend the M50." 
biggrin.gif

A mere "don't buy Skullcandy/Bose/Beats" thread, while certainly well-intentioned (perhaps), would likely erupt into a flame war PDQ and might turn off new Head-Fi'ers. Plus, it's better to have something positive to say (like a recommendation) versus a "these all suck let's bash them" thread.

Just my $0.02. I hope somebody who might be able to make this happen will give it some serious though.

EDIT: We'd better be careful here, too. UE will be along soon to see what's up, as flames flock to these Skullcandy/Bose/Beats threads like moths to a...well, flame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back