Cost of building a B22
Jul 18, 2010 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, i am seeing the B22 is literally the best SS amp. How much is it to buy all the parts. And are there cases that people make to go with the B22, or do i have to make my own?

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 27
The cost could vary a lot depending on what configuration you build, what parts you use, where you buy them, what you do with the chassis, connectors, volume control, etc.  Do a bit of searching and look at what others have done, then add up the costs.
There are no special enclosures made just for the β22, but there are many off-the-shelf ones you could use, or you could make your own.

Read the β22 website.

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 27
Before/if this gets rolling and people ask you all the usual/required questions (# of channels, etc.), IIRC Jeff @ GlassJarAudio gets around $100USD per channel for PCB + parts shipped... If that's so that's about as little as I think you can budget per channel.
The ultra-low-budget 2ch in my sig came in around $350 but did not use PS parts/design typically employed (σ22), so plan on more than that.  Perhaps a lot more.

Edit: Oops, the master beat me to it.  I guess I think & type too slow:)

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 27
I am almost done completing my b22 build, parts for a 3 channel active ground and sigma 22 w/ transformer (all from glassjaraudio)  came in around $450 for everything, not including wire, casing, potentiometer, knobs, jacks, iec, panel milling.. when it is all said and done I anticipate a total of about 700 dollars being spent  on my project.(over the course of 4 months though).

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
Why does it matter how many channels you have.

Normal = 2 channels
Attempt to null effect of shared ground in headphone cable = 3 channels
Attempt to gain advantage by bridging output (almost always wrongly labeled as 'balanced') = 4 channels

More channels means more pcbs and more parts, which means more money. So it matters!

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 27
from the b22 website..
3-channel "active ground" amplifier (3 β22 boards required)

This is the recommended configuration for standard 3-wire headphones, and offers improved performance by having an active ground channel amplifier for the headphone's shared "ground return" wire. The ground channel amplifier sources or sinks the return current from the transducers, which would otherwise have been dumped into signal ground or power supply ground. This shifts responsibility for the high current reactive load of the headphones from signal ground to the tightly regulated power supply rails, thus removing the primary source of signal ground contamination. The headphone transducer "sees" symmetrical output buffers with equal impedance and transfer characteristics on both sides, rather than an amplifier on one side and a capacitor bank of the power supply ground on the other. This results in lower output impedance, greater linearity and reduced stereo crosstalk.

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Oh boy.  You have much reading/research to do.  How many & what kind of projects do you have under your belt?
I ask because a B22 should likely not be among your first projects.

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 27

Quote:

Asking this question means that you should definitely be reading through the web site entirely a couple of times before going any further.
Pay special attention to the "Tech Highlights", "Wiring & Ground", "Other Options", and in particular "b22 Gallery".
I say the last one because if the way Ti has explained the technical details is not clear then there is an example of each type of config in the gallery with lots of pics that would help your understanding.

As always parts cost is but a fraction of what the final build will end up costing you especially if you are starting from scratch.
There are basic tools you are going to need, case costs, panel work if you want it looking fancy, ect, ect.

Your volume control choice can literally range (depending on your config) from ~$16USD to $1k USD so there is room for dosh-loss there too.

Food for thought.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 27

I don't think the OP is seriously going to build it. Probably just asking out of curiosity. If you're serious however... you have a lot of research to do. An M³ + σ11 took me a month to research and compile a BoM (Bill of Materials), and I don't have the kind of experience that other people do who can compile a BoM in a matter of hours or days. I can just imagine how long a B22 will take for your age. I suggest starting with something simple. I recommend finding pictorial step-by-step guides so it's easier to understand. Tomb makes good pictorial guides here.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 27

Quote:

You might want to start with a CMoy.  Once you understand that, you can move onto bigger projects.

I'm planning to build a three channel Beta22.  I have some of the parts, but think it'll run me about $800, including raw aluminum for the case I'll build from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back