Cosmic Reference Module vs MOHR or Max (thinking about getting an additional amp)?
May 31, 2002 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zzz

500+ Head-Fier
What are the significant differences between those 3 amplifiers besides the chassis and the power supply? How would Cosmic RM + Base Station 1 perform with respect to MOHR or Max?

Amp would most of the time be used with a low impedance headphone (ATH-W2002, 40Ohm) and I've heard that most tubed amps, like my MG Head for example, would not be a good match for it, so I'm looking for something that will be suitable for both W2002 *and* HD600 this time.

(leaning towards Cosmic, because it may also be used as a portable amp. suggestions, recommendations, comments, or personal experience with any of the aforementioned amps are all very-very welcome).

I'm thinking about spending no more than 1.5k USD on both CDP and an amp, so it would be fairly hard for me to afford say Max right now, but I can always try if I find that the difference in sound justifies that. And of course slim chance of auditioning anything before buying either...

May 31, 2002 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 17
Wow, zzz, we have a lot in common!

My current set up is Sony D-EJ725 -> Porta Corda -> Senn HD580 / Sony EX70w/EQ

I'm also looking to spend $1500 on a new source and amp... but I have to fit in buying new phones as well
tongue.gif
Probably etys. And I might end up upgrading the source or amp, not both.

And I want to know the answer to the topic question too. From what I have found so far, the MOHR has a better power supply than the Cosmic Reference, and the Max has a slightly even better supply, better circuit layout and a lot more money spent on cosmetics
wink.gif

This translates into better bass on the MOHR than on the Cosmic and yet slightly better bass again on the Max.

You can improve the performance of the Cosmic by buying the Base Station power supply upgrade.

What has me worried the most, though, is actually the volume pot. I find that I'm very picky about volume changes and can't tolerate any mistracking (channel imbalance). And the Cosmic would have the cheapest, smallest pot of the 3...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 31, 2002 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 17
zzz,
Your MG Head is already a great amp for the HD600s, so you might want to focus on the ATH-W2002. I believe Audio Technica has an amp designed specifically for these phones...here's a news clipping from headwize.com (you may have already seen this...but just in case)
Quote:

To drive the ATH-W2002 headphones, Audio-Technica has created the companion AT-HA2002 headphone amplifier. The circuitry is class A with MOSFET output transistors and can provide up to 1.2W per channel. The lacquered cherry wood front-panel sports gold-plated brass hardware and two headphone jacks. The back panel has AC- and DC-coupled audio inputs. The headphone outputs will drive loads from 16 ohms to 600 ohms. Other specs: 0.006% THD, 117dB S/N, 1.1V/50K ohms sens., 62dB channel separation. It measures 180mm(H) × 360mm (W) × 350mm (D) and retails for 140,000 Yen ($1200 US).

I found some more info from searching the net, but virtually all of it is in japanese, i guess you could use babel fish or something if you're interested...

May 31, 2002 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

62dB channel separation

Sounds quite poor?!?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 31, 2002 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by markjia
zzz,
Your MG Head is already a great amp for the HD600s, so you might want to focus on the ATH-W2002. I believe Audio Technica has an amp designed specifically for these phones...here's a news clipping from headwize.com (you may have already seen this...but just in case)

I found some more info from searching the net, but virtually all of it is in japanese, i guess you could use babel fish or something if you're interested...

The problem with AT-H2002 is that it's in the same price range as MOHR (and getting close to Max), but is of absolutely unknown performance. Some day later I might consider checking it out, but not now.

Jun 1, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 17
The performance of the Audio Technica amp is not completely unknown. I've not yet heard it myself (and don't expect to) but the reports of it were unfavorable. With what little information I have on it, I would definitely not consider it especially at the same price as the MOH.

zzz
You have another thread relating to source equipment. If I were you, I would settle on your source first. If you have patience (it's ok if you don't, my track record is not good in this department either), the best thing would be to wait until you've had your source with your current amplifier and headphones. Then you can adequately judge what you consider your system's shortcomings to be a better "match" and amplifeir that meets your needs.

This is useful not only for the subjective listening standpoint but also from the perspective of logistics. You may find yourself listening less with portable sources once you have a good stationary source, for example. Or you might not. However set on your listening habits you may think you are now, these things do change in the vast majority of people depending on their equipment.

Meanwhile try to get your post count up enough to participate in the loaner program. Some good post suggestions might be some reviews of whatever source you end up with (, Kelly suggests selfishly).

Jun 6, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Meanwhile try to get your post count up enough to participate in the loaner program.

Oh no, that way I'm not going to play with a decent headroom amp for at least another ten years
wink.gif

Anyhow, I'll probably end up getting an EMP and Cosmic RM + Base Station 1 in a couple of weeks, and then picking the one I like more (or, hm, both/none. whatever).

It's just that the topic question is still bugging me a bit and it seems that nobody has ever bothered/had a chance to compare Cosmic RM to any of those other amps side by side. And this is too bad, because Cosmic RM (+ BS1) is positioned more as a stationary amplifier that may also be used portably, which brings up a question if it is a mediocre performer all around (limited by the source quality when used with a PCDP and too revealing at that, and simply worse than other similarly priced stationary amps when paired with a good player) or best of both worlds.

Jun 6, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 17
For what it's worth, I don't agree with what Headroom has posted on their site about the Cosmic being too good for portable use. I suppose it depends on which qualities you prioritize and what it is you're hoping to cover up, but in general I have not found a crappier amplifier to be better with a crappy source than a good amplifier. In other words, I'd gladly take the Cosmic with my Panasonic 570 over the Airhead or Supreme.

For stationary only, yes, of course you can do better elsewhere. Even the MOH will give you a better bang for the buck and Headroom promotes it as such. And there are certainly other options from other companies. You cannot expect to get portability for free and not sacrifice anything.

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

You cannot expect to get portability for free and not sacrifice anything.

Well, why not? I doubt that the size of enclosure around the board matters much and if designs are the same and details are of the same quality (except for the power supply, but that's why add-on like BS1 exists), then I don't see an immediate reason why a portable device has to be sonically inferior to a stationary one.

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

then I don't see an immediate reason why a portable device has to be sonically inferior to a stationary one.

The guys who actually build the amps could probably give a better answer, but an obvious one is that a portable device must be able to be powered off a portable power supply, while a stationary device has no such limitations.

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 17
Right so then even if you use the BS-1, you're still going through extra wiring and switching to get to that external PSU. And I don't know that there are no circuit differences, either. There's more to these amps than just the "module."

Jun 6, 2002 at 10:53 AM Post #12 of 17
I have both the MOH and Cosmic Reference (without the Base Station), and to my ears the performance of the Cosmic is very close to the MOH. I’ve only had the Cosmic for less than a day, but it has been really nice to enjoy the sounds from my HD600 when I’m on the move as much as I enjoy them with the home system. And I certainly don't feel I'm using an inferior product or have to sacrifice very much to enjoy my music in a portable environment.

Jun 6, 2002 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Dean,
Do you have a copy of 1812?
smily_headphones1.gif

Bond's version of 1812 is this closest CD I have to "Classical" music. But it does sound GREAT with the Cosmic.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 17
Dean,
Ah too bad. The Telarc 1812 has some cannons in it that I believe is a good example of both deep bass extension as well as being a good "stress test" for the amp's headroom. Most of your good amps won't clip when you play it, but they will typically sound "strained" and not quite pull it off. The MOH/Max/Blockhead doesn't sweat it. I imagine the Cosmic would have trouble with it, at least on battery power (ie, it wouldn't sound terrible but you'd be able to discern the MOH from the Cosmic).

There is also a Fates Warning album I use for this test called Pleasant Shade of Grey. There's an explosive instrument crash in the end of the first track that probably puts the most stress on an amp of any of the CDs I have.

If you can think of any CDs in your collection that have extra deep bass going on at the same time as a lot of instruments going off at the same time, that would probably help show the differences too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back