Corrosion an issue for Sony R10 Magnesium Frame?
Sep 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

takezo

1000+ Head-Fier
here's something i haven't seen on these boards: how do owners of the
sony mdr r10 headphones deal with corrosion from humidity or seashore
conditions? i may be mistaken but it seems sony used magnesium alloy in
fabricating the head band frame. but the weird thing is that there seems to have
been a mistake in using screws dissimilar from the magnesium frame. what does
that mean? using a screw made of iron, nickel or copper to hold the magnesium
frame may lead to galvanic corrosion in the following conditions:

1) two highly electrochemically dissimilar metal present. in this case, the magnesium
alloy and the dissimilar screws.

2) electrically conductive path between the two dissimilar metals. physical
contact must be present.

3) physical path for the anodic metal to send electrons to the cathodic metal.
magnesium has one of the highest anodic indexes known in metallurgy. which
means it's susceptible to galvanic corrosion more readily. and cathodic metals
like Cu, Ni and Fe (ones with the + signs) make things worse

4) humid or saline condition exacerbates the galvanic process. electromotive
force is increased in the cathodic metal pulling the magnesium ions away.
galvanic corrosion is most severe in saltwater environments.

i've been noticing this type of corrosion in several sony r10 near the screws
of the magnesium frame. which led me to wonder if this is a rare and isolated
event or cause for concern for owners living near the seashore or humid
regions. here's a pic of what i'm talking about (pic will self delete in approx.
5 or 6 days):

vllounge000037.jpg

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 8
It's a real problem. The first R10 I owned had minor corrosion of the magnesium presumably due to proximity to the sea (it came from Hawaii). This was not just around the screws. Salt sea air is not good for magnesium.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 8
the owner of this unit told me that he put the headphones in the original carrying case
and put it in his closet drawer. at one point he thinks he left it in there for almost a full
year without touching it. it was then that he first noticed very very small discoloration
begin to form. but since then he's been cleaning and using the unit more regularly but
the corrosion has spread and there doesn't appear to be any solutions... except to replace
the screws with ones made with magnesium alloy. or replace the entire headband if sony
still has them in stock...

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 8
Hmm. I haven't noticed any corrosion on the MDR-SA5000 (also magnesium) but did find a little on the inside of my NeXT Cube. I don't live terribly far from the ocean, either. And I think I'll pack the NeXT off to storage in Yuma, just to keep it dry.

Keeping the headphone in its box isn't the ideal place when you're in a marine environment. The box will keep the moisture in and not allow it to dry out. I'd keep them in a way for the air to circulate around them.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Keeping the headphone in its box isn't the ideal place when you're in a marine environment. The box will keep the moisture in and not allow it to dry out. I'd keep them in a way for the air to circulate around them.

i agree. further more, i've read elsewhere that keeping susceptible items in a
wooden enclosure is better than other types. the wood supposedly absords
the moisture from the humid surrounding forming a protective barrier around
the item. and i'm getting the hint that airing it out, or enjoying it, is much
safer than putting it away in a box for extended periods.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 8
You may wish to investigate products which are used in gun vaults. There are capsules which emit an invisible vapor that forms a protective film on metal surfaces. This protective film forms a corrosion and rust resistant barrier.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may wish to investigate products which are used in gun vaults. There are capsules which emit an invisible vapor that forms a protective film on metal surfaces. This protective film forms a corrosion and rust resistant barrier.

Maybe Ballistol is an idea? (That is a gun oil with an alkaline character, used to clean and protect metal parts from rust)

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #8 of 8
I don't keep mine in the original leather case. It's too tight of a fit, and not very good at that. Mine has a small amount of bubbling in the paint around the screws of the hangers, but that's it. It's fairly dry where I keep my R10. But I wouldn't want to store it too dry, because of the wood and leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back