Correct way of using a headphone amp with IEM's
Jun 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 16
If you are using the headphone-out on your DAP to the amp, than you should set the volume on DAP high (90% or more) and use amp to control the volume.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 16
Some DAPs has line-out function like ipod classic, S-Flo2, X1061 and ipod Classic volume stop working when it connected with AMPs through line-out dock cable and DAPs HP volume has limit, it's better if it's on high volume when connected to AMPs and not on %100.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 16
When using my iPod with an LOD, I can't control the volume on the player directly but in the case that I use its headphone out, I usually set the volume at 90% or so and use the amp to regulate the volume.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 16
The question made in this thread is the same I have made to myself some years ago and I have considered it from the point of view of the electronic theory.
The full distortion that is measured from an audio device is made when distortion is measured at its full volume. Observe the distortion vs. output plots and you will see this.  So, if an audio source has full volume you will be amplifying audio at its most distorted output. And when it comes to amplifiers, they use tubes or ICs that add their own distortion. I think that is preferable to have moderate volume at the source, and then control the amplifier's volume. I think this gives less distortion. That is the reason many IC amps have negligible distortion measurements. On equipments that have LODs the volume is always at some average output, not full.

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 16
The point about LO is the signal is at line level, which means it has the best dynamic range, where the signal is at maximum before distortion increase, a.k.a. the best possible SNR the output can have. Most DAP today can easy output upward to 90% or so without distortion. For example, Sansa Fuze or Clip can output at 100% volume without any audible distortion, so if you are amping the headphone-out, you will be wise to set their volume at max to get the best dynamic range possible for amplification. Of course it all depends on the performance of the DAP itself.

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 16

Yes totally agree with you. For the sake of "clarity"  (in the equipment, that is) I use about 70% volume (if no LO is present) and then I play with the amp's volume.
Quote:
The point about LO is the signal is at line level, which means it has the best dynamic range, where the signal is at maximum before distortion increase, a.k.a. the best possible SNR the output can have. Most DAP today can easy output upward to 90% or so without distortion. For example, Sansa Fuze or Clip can output at 100% volume without any audible distortion, so if you are amping the headphone-out, you will be wise to set their volume at max to get the best dynamic range possible for amplification. Of course it all depends on the performance of the DAP itself.

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 16
I would go for digital audio processor.

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 16
It is player but it`s more "head-fi" with processor
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #15 of 16
I really think there isnt a number that can be used across the board. remember that the DAP has a fixed output level, so far as the amp itself, turning the volume up on the DAP does not increase the amplification level, it just attenuates it less. this attenuation is a digital process, so if your dap distorts at full volume, then it is generally because the output is too hot or flawed in some other way, output impedance is wrong, or cannot handle the load attached to it. the amp stage as with any amp, is at full gain the whole time, regardless of the volume setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back