Corda Opera Still Current?
Apr 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

XLR1

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a used Corda Opera. I really like the amp. The technology is 3-4 years old. Do people think this is still a good amp or is it too out-of-date. I did not get a manual so I am not sure I understand all of the features. The amp is very smooth as reviewers have commented, but when I use the second jack it seems brighter and more energetic. Does that sound right? I can tell almost no difference when I use the cross feed except it seems to have a little less base and is slightly more airy. Have others had the same experience? Do any Opera owners have a user manual I could copy or know where I could buy one? Thanks.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 24
Email Jan Meier?

He is very friendly and helpful and if he can I am sure he would send one your way by some means.

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by XLR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any Opera owners have a user manual I could copy or know where I could buy one? Thanks.

The manuals of all current amps are downloadable from the meier website. Those of previous models, however, to my knowledge are not. But I'm pretty confident that Jan will send you the opera's manual in pdf format as an e-mail attachment if you contact him (meier-audio@t-online.de) and describe your situation.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 24
I've had my Opera for a few years,gets used everyday, much more that my other amps.
Good design and build dont go out of date.
With most phones you'd use the output nearest the volume control(has the small z above it).
You possibily wont notice a huge difference on modern recordings with crossfeed on but it does help on some 60's releases with shonky faux stereo.
I always use mine with crossfeed on.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 24
The Opera was my first desktop amp and I really loved it at the time. It pairs really well with Denon phones. However it did not synergize well with the HD800 using the internal DAC or an external DAC (but certainly better with the external DAC, which at the time was a RAM modded PS Audio DL3). So it is not the be all end all of desktop amps but is a great beginner desktop amp that synergizes very well with some phones and not so well with others.

I do remember that the bass was not very detailed or textured, and was the part of the spectrum most lacking in my opinion. I want to hear every ounce of detail in the bass and be able to pick out all bass instruments equally while clearly making out each note. The treble wasn't very extended or detailed, but it was pleasing to listen to, not harsh. The midrange is where this amp excels for sure, as it is very smooth and full-bodied especially with female vocals. Soundstage is pretty good and imaging is fair.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 24
The Opera is about 95% of the Symphony and Concerto, so it's not absolete at all ! The specs looks exacty the same, it has a lil worse power supply than Syphony and different chips compared to Concerto. I enjoyed Opera at that time, good synergy with Beyers and Senns, not so well with Grados, didn't like the gain of this amp (too low for 600 ohm phones, you will MAX out the volume and still is not enought on some recordings!).
It's a nice amp, but it's outclased easily by some 1000$ amps theese days..
When i had it i observed that it veiled the details a bit and i don't know why, when i connected it to some high quality DAC's some details were missing, even my Pico dac/amp had more details, and this was my reason why i sold it, but it was nice nevertheless and i enjoyed it.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my Opera for a few years,gets used everyday, much more that my other amps.
Good design and build dont go out of date.
With most phones you'd use the output nearest the volume control(has the small z above it).
You possibily wont notice a huge difference on modern recordings with crossfeed on but it does help on some 60's releases with shonky faux stereo.
I always use mine with crossfeed on.

The Symphony's on-line user manual suggests using the left (large Z) output for high impedance headphones, but I think the right output you suggest sounds best. Thank for reinforcing what my ears are telling me.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Opera was my first desktop amp and I really loved it at the time. It pairs really well with Denon phones. However it did not synergize well with the HD800 using the internal DAC or an external DAC (but certainly better with the external DAC, which at the time was a RAM modded PS Audio DL3). So it is not the be all end all of desktop amps but is a great beginner desktop amp that synergizes very well with some phones and not so well with others.

Thanks. I should have said I have the non-DAC version. I have read repeatedly that the Opera DAC is not up to the quality of the amp, so I chose not to pay extra for one with a DAC. I feed it from a DVD player using good (silver coated) RCA cables.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed Opera at that time, good synergy with Beyers and Senns, not so well with Grados, didn't like the gain of this amp (too low for 600 ohm phones, you will MAX out the volume and still is not enought on some recordings!).

Yes, with both my Beyers and Senns, I must use the high gain and turn the volume up to the 11 - 2 range to get good volume. I have not found a need to max it out yet, but when I get in a rock mood I may get there.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 24
I agree with most of the comments made above on the Corda Opera. It's simply a very nice amp. Erring a little on the smooth side (it can gloss over some detail), but very subtle and refined. And if you don't like the sound from low gain you can always flick the switch to high gain and it turns into a different amp.
biggrin.gif
(Very strange, but true.)

The more recent Meier amps (Symphony, Concerto) are mainly more neutral (less warm), but are also in other areas definitely a step up.

The effect of crossfeed is very noticeable for me. Among other things it significantly shrinks the soundstage, which is why I never use it. (Most noticeable of course on music that has a large soundstage to begin with.)

I'm surprised that people don't seem to get enough volume from it with high impedance phones. At least, with my K240 Sextetts I never go beyond twelve o'clock in low gain. Do others listen at extremely high volume, or are 600 ohm Beyers, for example, simply much less efficient?

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 24
try some Bach or Shostakovich recordings from 80's and play them on a Beyer DT880 600 ohm or on a T1 you will understand what i mean, on that recordings i'm adding some dB's from foobar wich frankly adds distorsions, on newer music with a lot of loudness it's not a problem but with some old recordings where loudness was not used, it's a problem on some pasages or/if you want more dynamics. On WA6SE i'm fine on 12 oclock which is half of the volume pot, i like this way much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back