CORDA CROSS-1 impressions
Jul 11, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Gord SW Ont
Orpheus,

When you read the manual (a pfd file on his website) it seems to me that this is not so much a sophisticated equalizer as a way to adjust the input and output impedances to give a subtle bass/treble adjustment. I believe that the unit is primarily a crossfeed device. (aplogolies to Jan if I've misinterpreted what I read
frown.gif
).

Gord.

This is how I understood it as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Gord SW Ont
Orpheus,

When you read the manual (a pfd file on his website) it seems to me that this is not so much a sophisticated equalizer as a way to adjust the input and output impedances to give a subtle bass/treble adjustment. I believe that the unit is primarily a crossfeed device. (aplogolies to Jan if I've misinterpreted what I read
frown.gif
).

Gord.

Yes that is how it works. I am looking at the one I have as I write and it also has a third adjustment for the amount of crossfeed.

Jul 11, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
so, you're saying there's no way to bypass the EQ and leave the crossfeed on? that's kinda what it looked like from pictures..... kinda dumb. dunno why they made it that way.

well, the unit has no values for what we call "bass" or "treble" (there aren't numbers for that)
as i said, these are impendance selectors: bass is for your amp and treble is for your source. i can confirm this: according to the manual, the certain position i liked for the "treble" hit the right spot, without looking in the manual. so there is no zero point, as it will change according to the source and amp. you can set the values correctly and not move them ( but finally you will, as all of us have crappy recordings we would like to change something in)

so.. the bypass mode is for the time you want the signal clean.
and when you turn the crossfeed on, the sound character changes anyway, and you lose your "reference headphone listening mode", which is non-crossfeeded mode, and that's the mode your headphones designers approved them as the final product (as far as i know) you are now listening to...so now you got something different anyway. jan made a circuit that is adjustable to your own setup, not added EQ to the circuit.
what could be better?

all i can say that this is a superb unit, i highly recommend it. yes, there is a small degree of quality loss, but higher degree of instrument imaging and aligning, roundness, naturality and relaxation.
and you always have the option of going back to bypass. just add the shortest interconnects between it and the amp so you'll feel better about yourself..

Jul 12, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #34 of 38
hmm.... this "eq" sounds very interesting. never heard of anything like it. well, if i can find one for a good price, i'll definately give it a try.

you know, is this a passive or active unit? cause i'm thinkin'.... if this EQ is so important, how come they don't have it on their normal headamps? unless if this is a passive unit, and it has something to do with putting it inline without having a static input or whatever.... it's all i can think of....

Jul 12, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
is this a passive or active unit? cause i'm thinkin'.... if this EQ is so important, how come they don't have it on their normal headamps? unless if this is a passive unit, and it has something to do with putting it inline without having a static input or whatever.... it's all i can think of....

good question.. i think only jan can answer that. i'll be glad to know the answer!

about finding it cheap..not many people have this device, and i don't think that it would be easy to find someone to sell it...maybe i'm wrong. the price for new ain't cheap, but it's more like paying a lot for basic service (like changing the lock at your home door, but you would still do that if you're not sure if someone stole your key
smily_headphones1.gif
)not exactly a direct comparison, but the idea of a separate crossfeed enables you to choose which amp you want - amps that crossfeed addicts (it's very easy to become one,really) would consider less of an option at first, if at all.

Jul 12, 2003 at 7:20 AM Post #37 of 38
Dear Headfellows,

The CROSS-1 is a passive device, and as such its frequency response depends on the output impedance of the source and the input impedance of the load (amplifier). I therefore added compensation to the crossfeed filter that allows to adapt it characteristics to these impedances. This compensation is an integral part of the filter and therefore is bypassed when the filter is bypassed.

It just happens that the effect of the compensation is very similar to a soft bass/treble equalisation. As people are better known with the concept of tone control than with that of "impedance compensation" it was called that way.

The CORDA amps don't need any impedance compensation as the filter inside is buffered and always has a straight frequency response.

Cheers,

Jan

Jul 12, 2003 at 9:26 AM Post #38 of 38
After a new source, this CROSS-1 will most likely be my next upgrade...I have used the Little loaner program and I have learned the benefits of crossfeed. It's not useful for all my recordings, but for those that it is, the Headroom crossfeed is really helpful, though on the Little, the bass and treble boosts are quite unnatural. I assume that the high degree of control one has over the bass/treble boost/cut on the CROSS-1 would make this standalone device a very useful addition to a system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back