CORDA CROSS-1 impressions
May 25, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 38
hi-fidelity - doesn't it say that the whole deal is to make it REAL?
if i'm having hard time to place instruments in front of me, what do i care about a little less bass, details, etc?
when you're in the show you don't have all the details, but you're there!
maybe there would be a time with "crossfeed sttings standart" and phones would be produced acording to that standart..

Jul 1, 2003 at 9:21 AM Post #17 of 38
Dear Headfellows,

Augh!!

I missed this one completely as I hardly ever check the "cables, ..."-forum :frowning2:

Although a little bit late a few remarks and comments:

" Do you have any more details about the Meier-Audio cables? Could you post pictures? There's no info on the Meier-Audio site about them yet."

A few weeks ago my camera went broke. It has been repaired and I hope to update my home-page soon.

"Dr.Meier must have tweaked his crossfeed circuit a bit"

The main difference between the crossfeed implementation on the HA-1 and the newer amps is the use of better capacitors; Polystyrol instead of Polyester. Better capacitors for sure make a difference!

The filter inside the CROSS-1 is an extended version of the filter found in the amps. The extension was necessary to enable compensation for source output impedances and load input impedances. Of course only Polystyrol capacitors were used.

Those interested in crossfeed should take a look at:

"http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/headfi.htm"

Cheers,

Jan

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 38
i too like the cross-1 very much, i have it for about 2 weeks.
it makes me say sometimes: "how the hell did i listened to that stuff before?!"..that happens a lot with jazz, as you want a very monophonic effect of the upright bass and energy flowing from instruments infront of you, as jazz (as i see it) is that thing that passes through between players in live performance not less than a music style. instrument placing can be superb with the cross-1, that help acoustic music very much. the treble control cannot actually be called just reble control, it has a special range, and it affects the distance of certain instruments (like drums and vocals) of you. the bass control also has special range, and i can't call it just a bass control. i'll try to better define it in the review. playing around with them both is interesting.

Jul 1, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #19 of 38
Someone should do a comparison with the HeadRoom More Static. That would be very interesting.
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #20 of 38
Jul 11, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
hey.... i couldn't seem to find out... so, here's my question: is there a way to turn off the EQ? i assume there's an off for the crossfeed right?

you don't want to turn it off. it's too useful. it ain't an EQ. the result is an odd EQ. let's say..that if headphone listening concept is wrong from start, as two channels are totaly separated and what you hear in a non crossfeed mode is also your minds' interpatation (should i say,equalisation?) , but you base your listening on that mode (because that's the base for our headphones design), there's nothing wrong with compensation to reach what's wrong from the begining, right?
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

hey.... i couldn't seem to find out... so, here's my question: is there a way to turn off the EQ? i assume there's an off for the crossfeed right?

Yes it has a rotary switch to turn the crossfeed on and off.

Jul 11, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

you don't want to turn it off. it's too useful. it ain't an EQ. the result is an odd EQ. let's say..that if headphone listening concept is wrong from start, as two channels are totaly separated and what you hear in a non crossfeed mode is also your minds' interpatation (should i say,equalisation?) , but you base your listening on that mode (because that's the base for our headphones design), there's nothing wrong with compensation to reach what's wrong from the begining, right?

biggrin.gif
it's gonna take me time to figure out what you just wrote, heh he.

anyway, i'm not saying anything's wrong with EQ........ but i do want to turn off the EQ on this unit. i have much better outboard EQ's in my studio, if i ever need it. so................... can it be turned off? is there an EQ setting that equals "bypass?" or is the sound always going through the EQ circuitry?

Jul 11, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

biggrin.gif
it's gonna take me time to figure out what you just wrote, heh he.

anyway, i'm not saying anything's wrong with EQ........ but i do want to turn off the EQ on this unit. i have much better outboard EQ's in my studio, if i ever need it. so................... can it be turned off? is there an EQ setting that equals "bypass?" or is the sound always going through the EQ circuitry?

There is a switch that bypasses everything if you want to.

Jul 11, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #28 of 38
When you engage crossfeed there is a shift in what you hear. This unit has two rotary switches that allow you to adjust the sound so that it matches the original very closely the original non crossfeed sound. Take a look at the manual on Jan's site for a better explanation.

Jul 11, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #29 of 38
well, i still think it's a poor decision. like i said, i have outboard EQ's and have no need for the built in EQ... or at least the unit would be much more attractive with an option to disable it. i understand that the designers probably though that one would need an EQ to adjust for the crossfeed side-effects.... but still, don't see why they don't have at least an EQ position equaling zero EQ, if not a true bypass.

Jul 11, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #30 of 38
Orpheus,

When you read the manual (a pfd file on his website) it seems to me that this is not so much a sophisticated equalizer as a way to adjust the input and output impedances to give a subtle bass/treble adjustment. I believe that the unit is primarily a crossfeed device. (aplogolies to Jan if I've misinterpreted what I read
frown.gif
).

Gord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back