TravelLite

100+ Head-Fier
System:

Source: Cary CD-308 CD player
Amplifier: AudioValve RKV Mk II
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO, DT880, DT990 PRO
[size=xx-small] Quote:

[/size]
As shown above, the CROSS-1 and two pairs of Meier-Audio 0.635-meter interconnects replaced one pair of Outlaw PCA 1.8-meter interconnects in the system. As a passive device, the CROSS-1 doesn't require a power supply.

A description of the CROSS-1, along with specifications and photos can be found in the amplifier section at the Meier-Audio website.

Just for fun I'm posting in a Q&A format. But please keep in mind that I'm the only one that's actually talking here, LOL.

Q: How large is the CROSS-1?

A: About 4.3 inches (10.9 cm) side-to-side, 5.1 inches (13.0 cm) front-to-back, and 1.7 inches (4.3 cm) tall.

Q: That's quite small. Do those measurements include the knob extensions and large rubber feet?

A: Yes. The entire unit, minus cable connections of course, could easily fit in the volume of five CD jewel cases stacked one on top the other.

Q: And the weight?

A: About 0.6 pounds (0.27 kg).

Q: Does its light weight make the CROSS-1 somewhat difficult to operate or physically situate in a system?

A: Perhaps a little bit. The soft rubber feet do a good job of gripping the surface they're resting on. But it is necessary to have several inches of level surface behind the CROSS-1 in order to support the weight of the interconnects.

Q: How is the overall build quality?

A: First-rate, nice fit and finish.

Q: Is there any audible snap, crackle, or pop when operating the unit's controls?

A: No, none at all.

Q: BTW, does the CROSS-1 run warm during use?

A: No.

Q: What everyone wants to know is, does the CROSS-1 degrade the sound quality in any way by virtue of placing additional components in the signal path?

A: No, certainly not in my system. In fact, while in stereo (bypass) mode, the sound's frequency range, resolution, and dynamics are every bit as good or better as when running the signal straight through one pair of Outlaw PCA ICs.

Q: What about when crossfeed is engaged?

A: Obviously crossfeed changes the nature of stereo sound, but I can't detect any loss in quality.

Q: Are you really certain about this? BTW, what's the analog output voltage of your CD player?

A: Yes, it's something I've listened for closely over a number of days and with music I'm familiar with. The player's output is rated at 3.0 volts RMS.

Q: So, is this some kind of oblique indictment against the Outlaw PCA interconnects?

A: No, not at all.

Q: Well then, how do you account for your statement that the sound is "every bit as good or better as when running the signal straight through one pair of Outlaw PCA ICs."?

A: For crying out loud, how the duce do I know! Look, all I can do is describe what I'm hearing on my system.

Q: Okay. How do you like the CROSS-1's crossfeed?

A: Great. Between the three levels of crossfeed, six levels of bass correction, and six levels of treble correction, there's a lot of scope for user customization.

Q: I appreciate that, but how does the crossfeed actually sound?

A: Very good, very natural. It's well implemented and executed. The low setting is quite subtle indeed, while the high setting is very obvious. I think that the optimum crossfeed setting is really best determined by the unique recording and production values of whatever CD happens to be playing.

Q: I understand that when crossfeed is engaged, the signal is attenuated on the order of 2.3 decibels. Is that accurate?

A: Yes. For a thorough explanation it's definitely worthwhile reading the CROSS-1 PDF manual posted on the Meier-Audio website. Basically, the attenuation just means that you need to turn your amp's volume up a little louder in order to compensate.

Q: Regarding the bass and treble correction controls, can these be used as one would use tone controls or an equalizer?

A: In a fashion I suppose, although their range isn't huge. They're really intended to gently shape the sound to the individual user's amp and source when crossfeed is on. Specifically, the bass control setting is related to the input impedance of the user's amp, while the treble control setting is related to the output impedance of the user's source. Again, the PDF manual covers this in good detail.

Q: BTW, do the bass and treble controls function when the CROSS-1 is in stereo (bypass) mode?

A: No.

Q: Do you have any comments regarding crossfeed and specific headphones you've used?

A: Yes, the biggest overall improvement in sound goes to the closed DT770. It's really very dramatic. I suspect this would probably hold true for most closed headphones in general. Naturally, the DT880 and DT990 benefit as well. To what degree really just depends on the particular recording being played.

Q: Would you recommend the CROSS-1 to others?

A: The fact is, not everyone enjoys crossfeed. But if they currently lack crossfeed and want to add it to their system, then definitely. Of course, all things being equal, users should have an amp with a little extra horsepower in order to cope with the CROSS-1's signal attenuation.

Many Head-Fi members are already very familiar with HeadRoom and Meier crossfeed. Other folks should just be aware that crossfeed isn't intended to function like some kind of software DSP with wild echo or reverb effects, LOL. Personally, I think of crossfeed as a subtle way of making a headphone system sound a little more like a conventional stereo speaker system.

Q: Well okay, thanks for your time.

A: Sure, you're welcome.

TravelLite

May 13, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 38
Nice review!

lini

May 14, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 38
Nice review. My Corda HA-2 arrived yesterday so I've been having fun playing around with crossfeed too
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have any more details about the Meier-Audio cables? Could you post pictures? There's no info on the Meier-Audio site about them yet.

May 14, 2003 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by bdb55
Do you have any more details about the Meier-Audio cables? Could you post pictures? There's no info on the Meier-Audio site about them yet.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera at hand, but hopefully info and photos will be up on the Meier-Audio site soon.

The actual cable is Belden 8412. Its outside diameter is about one millimeter smaller than the Outlaw PCA's and has a very similar minimum bending radius.

The plugs are Neutrik Professional RCA. These have a spring-loaded sleeve that makes ground before signal contact as they're inserted, and breaks signal before ground as they're removed.

Altogether, very nice cables!

TravelLite

May 21, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 38
how much did they cost you?

May 21, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 38
Thanks for the review TravelLite. Sounds like you got a real winner on your hands there. Congrats.

May 22, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
how much did they cost you?

AdamZuf, one pair of cables cost $115.00.

TravelLite

May 22, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 38
do you think it worth the money?

May 23, 2003 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

do you think it worth the money?

Yes. As commercial cables go, I think they represent a fine performance/cost ratio (in the context of my system). An added bonus, they also look neat. :)

TravelLite

May 23, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 38
in your review, you say the that Cross-1 setup with meier cables might sound a bit better.the outlaw's are very cheap..
i wonder how much the Cross-1 itself degrades quality and how much the meier cables confensate (sorry it didn't write this word right
tongue.gif
).
i know they are not the same lenght, but would you please try to compare 1 meier cable to the outlaw, with no Cross-1 of coarse??

(BTW, what was that, outlaw cable went up to 2 meier cables? upgarditis?
tongue.gif
)

May 24, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

i know they are not the same lenght, but would you please try to compare 1 meier cable to the outlaw, with no Cross-1 of coarse??

Unfortunately it's just too much time and trouble, i.e., work, to breakdown my gear for an honest A/B comparison anytime soon.

However, if you're really, really interested in more info, you might want to communicate with Dr. Meier. I imagine it's unlikely he has any Outlaw PCA cables at hand, but he may have qualitative or quantitative information that might be helpful.

Alternatively, IIRC, at least one pair of Meier-Audio ICs are currently circulating in the US. If the northern California meet takes place as scheduled on or about June 7th, then perhaps you could appeal to host JMT, Tuberoller, or other attendees to do an evaluation.
Quote:

(BTW, what was that, outlaw cable went up to 2 meier cables? upgarditis?
tongue.gif
)

The Outlaw PCAs are currently in service with my Sony CDP, LOL!

TravelLite

May 25, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 38
Q: Kelly, did you know that only crazy people talk to themselves?

A: The way I heard it was that everyone talks to themselves, but only crazy people actually reply.

Q: So what did you think of the crossfeed review?

A: It was ok, but it didn't seem like he wanted to talk much about the actual crossfeed effect. It made me wonder whether he liked it or not.

Q: Do you feel we should say, "Thanks for the review" or some such?

A: Nah, that's so overdone.

May 25, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 38
TravelLite...in your face!
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 38
I have been using the Cross-1 for about a month and have grown to like it a lot.It is very useful on certain types of music and performs well with most of the phones I used it with.My favorite combo right now is the MPX3,DT880,Cross-1,Acoustic Zen WOW! interconnects and Philips 963.The Cross-1 offers a very realistic soundstage with a sense of depth and presence.Dr.Meier must have tweaked his crossfeed circuit a bit because I was always more fond of the Headroom Circuit and found the Meier circuit to kill bass a bit.The Cross-1 and the latest Meier Audio amps sound fantastic.I think the Cross-1 is one of those products that will make a believer out of you if you don't already like crossfeed.I am a crossfeed listener so I don't need to be sold on the benefits.

I know there is a large number of us headphone audio enthusiats who don't like crossfeed and I do understand the arguments against it.I still say you shouldn't knock it until you have heard it with your favorite system and music you really like.The Cross-1 is an excellent way to add crossfeed to your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back