Cool Looking Schiit
Jun 21, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #168 of 494

Quote:
Why? Have you discovered how square wave response directly relates to sound quality? Please tell.

Oh come on, there is nothing wrong with demanding quality electrical performance from the equipment we buy.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #169 of 494
"Jude" has posted some initial impression bulletpoints for the Shiit Asgard in this forum (different thread), just to let anyone or everyone know that's interested. I think some of his comments are very interesting. Happy Listening.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #170 of 494
Please dont think I am in any way trying to be negative about this company or these amps, but i have a sincere question that could easily come off the wrong way.

Why is everyone so excited about these amps?
I realize they are cheap, and US made, which is great, but is the excitement because they are using really high quality parts, or have they designed it in a way that people with technical knowlege are really impressed with?  Both? other?

Im just trying to figure out what is making people drool so much over these amps so much more than other amps in this price range. 

again.. im not trying to be negative here.. just trying to learn... and frankly im wondering if should be ordering one :wink:

Thanks Ya'll

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #171 of 494

Quote:
Please dont think I am in any way trying to be negative about this company or these amps, but i have a sincere question that could easily come off the wrong way.

I realize they are cheap, and US made, which is great, but is the excitement because they are using really high quality parts, or have they designed it in a way that people with technical knowlege are really impressed with?  Both? other?

Im just trying to figure out what is making people drool so much over these amps so much more than other amps in this price range. 

again.. im not trying to be negative here.. just trying to learn... and frankly im wondering if should be ordering one :wink:

Thanks Ya'll

cheap US made with decent parts.

I feel the most strking thing is the way both the amps look,its their cosmetic appearance.

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #173 of 494
I wonder if its a good match for the thunderpants
wink_face.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #174 of 494
Should be..though so far it seems Smeggy liked the thunderpants best with the Cavalli CTH....really need to get going on building myself another for my own TPs.

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #177 of 494
We really do need some great amps in this price range. Looks and price are taken care of here then the single ended zero feedback FET design ala pass aleph amps are really something that made my head turn(aside from the company name of course
regular_smile .gif
). I'm a basic meat and potatoes person when it comes to amps, extreme detail is not in the top of my list but organic and neutral tonality is. that is hard to come by in a $250 amp... At least from the ones Ive had or heard. From Jude's review and the way everything is explained in the product marketing, I'm already sold. So now, just waiting for extra funds to come in before I get one of these guys along with an audeze or something of that caliber.

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #178 of 494

Quote:

Thanks Ya'll

There are many reasonable answers to your question, but I think the best answer is because that is the nature of Head-Fi.  All of us enthusiasts get easily excited about any new game in town and some actually start gushing before they've even heard the thing in question.  It's the nature of the beast.  Wait a couple months for the *dust* to settle, and you'll more likely see how it really is.   Stuff that has staying power is really the good stuff.  Hopefully the new line from Schiit will be good stuff!

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #179 of 494
For me the "excitement" stems from much of what has already been said but most importantly:

Made in the U.S.A.
Priced to compete with imports.
Better looks (IMO) than most imports.

Of course how they sound is going to matter most but right now, for me, they've got everything going for them.  Not only is their attitude refreshing in this hobby but the fact that they're not going after the insane markups this hobby is known for is refreshing as well.

Bill

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #180 of 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Made in the U.S.A.
Priced to compete with imports.
Better looks (IMO) than most imports.

I really want to stress that the architecture is very interesting at the price point.

For example, lets compare to buying a similarly priced (US$280) Corda Swing, which is an OPAMP + BUF634. My techno junky juices aren't exactly flowing...... the BUF634 would melt at the quiescent current that the output FETs are running in the Asgard. And while I have absolutely nothing against OPAMPs, the discrete voltage amplification stage could be an improvement.

Or compare to the more expensive (CA$389) Kicas Caliente which appears to have a similar discrete architecture, but far less output power than the Asgard.

So if the sound quality of the Asgard can match the technical potential, it is really going to shake things up and will hopefully force existing manufacturers to improve the value of their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back