Cool Looking Schiit
Jul 4, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #421 of 494
Thanks. That's about the size I had in my mind. Your Woo is about the same size as my Little Dot.

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #422 of 494

Quote:
Thanks. That's about the size I had in my mind. Your Woo is about the same size as my Little Dot.

Maxvla,
Here they are together--Woo & Schiit; and
satellite views as well.
It's all about relationships, right?
wink_face.gif

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #423 of 494
Was referring to your 22, but all is good :)

How would you compare the SS sound of the Asgard to the tubes in your Woos? My first amp was a SS amp and I almost couldn't tell any difference at all between having the amp in line or not. (Gilmore Lite)

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #424 of 494

Quote:
Maxvla said:

Quote:
Was referring to your 22, but all is good :)

How would you compare the SS sound of the Asgard to the tubes in your Woos? My first amp was a SS amp and I almost couldn't tell any difference at all between having the amp in line or not. (Gilmore Lite)

I thought so but I didn't know the 22 is the same size as your Little Dot so I thought you meant the 6.

I am unable to articulate what I hear as well as some members; my sonic vocabulary is lacking but as for the sound of the Asgard to the tubes in my Woo: well to my ear the Asgard (and mind you I've probably put less than 40 hours on it) is very revealing (with the DT990) from top to bottom (with a slight slump in the mids as is the case of the 990). The 22 has a larger sound stage and slightly warmer sound. But the WA22 has a EML 5U4G mesh plate rectifier--which made me jump this morning because I had my headphones on and I swear the bass response came with so much force that I felt the bass in my chest and thought that my speakers were on and blasting (at 6:00 AM) but they weren't. The Asgard does not have that effect but it is still enjoyable nevertheless--very enjoyable.

It's like a good burger. Sometimes I love one with extra toppings sometimes without. But I do love a good burger. "Let's see, what will it be today? The Asgard with the HD650 or the Woo with an NOS rectifier on the side?" They both are very good.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #425 of 494
Quote:
I received mine yesterday and listened for 3 hours straight on my HE-5.  All I can say is "wow."  I'll have a more in depth impression after this weekend.  It definately has the juice for the power hungry HE-5 and exposed the limits of my Dynalo.  My super short and generic impression for the limited time spent on the gem is - very detailed, tight bass, and neutral.  I'm looking forward pairing it with the HF2.  The amp is the "SCHIIT".  

I have to say, the etching of the brand and name on the front is little to be desired as the "D" was partially scrapped away upon removing the amp from the box, but I'm just nick picking; although I would be willing to pay just a little bit more for an engraved or higher quality etching. 

Thinking about putting an order on the tube version and forgetting the EF5.

I'd love to here impressions on the Asgard vs. Dynalo. I'm looking into both amps at the moment so any comparisons you can give would be much appreciated.

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #426 of 494

Quote:

I thought so but I didn't know the 22 is the same size as your Little Dot so I thought you meant the 6.

I am unable to articulate what I hear as well as some members; my sonic vocabulary is lacking but as for the sound of the Asgard to the tubes in my Woo: well to my ear the Asgard (and mind you I've probably put less than 40 hours on it) is very revealing (with the DT990) from top to bottom (with a slight slump in the mids as is the case of the 990). The 22 has a larger sound stage and slightly warmer sound. But the WA22 has a EML 5U4G mesh plate rectifier--which made me jump this morning because I had my headphones on and I swear the bass response came with so much force that I felt the bass in my chest and thought that my speakers were on and blasting (at 6:00 AM) but they weren't. The Asgard does not have that effect but it is still enjoyable nevertheless--very enjoyable.

It's like a good burger. Sometimes I love one with extra toppings sometimes without. But I do love a good burger. "Let's see, what will it be today? The Asgard with the HD650 or the Woo with an NOS rectifier on the side?" They both are very good.

^ my Little Dot MKVI

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the comments on the amp.

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #427 of 494
Asgard >>> Dynalo, assuming you won't be pairing with all warm-sounding gear.

HTH

Quote:
Quote:

I'd love to here impressions on the Asgard vs. Dynalo. I'm looking into both amps at the moment so any comparisons you can give would be much appreciated.

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #428 of 494

Quote:

^ my Little Dot MKVI

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the comments on the amp.

HOLY SCHIIT!
eek.gif
I mean holy Little Dot! That's one big beauty! That's a misnomer, it should Big Dot!
tongue_smile.gif
That is a great looking amp. I've never ever seen it--ever; and I am not familiar at all with Little Dots.

No apology for the confusion, please. I'm just glad that you set me straight on it. Now I have to put my wallet away for good!

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #429 of 494

Quote:
Quote:

Well, right now I only have the HE-5 to compare the Asgard and Dynalo.  As I was waiting for the Asgard, the HE-5 and Dynalo to my ears is not a good combination.  It just doesn't have power to bring to the sound levels to warrant the awesome impressions from other ears.  Everything sounded restricted on the Dynalo to the point I thought for a second, "what a crappy can (HE-5)."  Then, when the Asgard arrived, the HE-5 just sung and I never had to turn the volume past 12 o'clock.  I think if I had the Gilmore Lite with the separate PSU, things might have been a different story.  Since I have no use to have more than one SS amp, the Asgard is the keeper and you'll find the Dynalo in the forsale forum despite how well the soon to be delivered HF2 may sing with the Dynalo. 

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #430 of 494
Any other early impressions about the Asgard?

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #431 of 494
Quote:
Asgard: We’ll be shipping 220/240 compatible units on or before 7/21.

Looks like I can order mine as well soon, I guess. Did anyone have the chance to listen to the Asgard with some Darth Beyers yet? I have a pair of V2s coming in and was thinking about getting the Asgard for them.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #433 of 494
I posted my HDP vs Asgard comparison in the other thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497902/schiit-asgard-unboxing-and-first-impressions/255#post_6762401

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #434 of 494

Quote:
I need to preface this thread by saying that I have been looking to purchasing a new Headphone Amplifier for litttle over a year, I was first looking to possibly buying an inexpensive tube or tube hybrid. But as time has gone by I am becoming more enamored of buying a Shiit Asgard.

Any insights, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

That Schiit is hard to beat for the money. But if you want to spend more to get a good DAC built into the amplifier, the Nuforce Icon HDP is well-reviewed and you may find it used if you are patient. But maybe not, people seem to really like it that have it.

edit: didn't notice kite7's ^ comparison before I posted, great job!

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #435 of 494
well, my new schiit arrived today.... and it works... both channels at the same time no less!!  already a drastic improvement from the last one 
wink_face.gif

impressions coming soon.. then burn in.. then more impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back