Cool Headphone Story
Aug 14, 2005 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dmb367

100+ Head-Fier
I had one of my buddies over from work the other day before we went out. This guys been ragging on me about headphones and spending a bunch of money since I started work a few months ago. Man, after I went to a meet it got much worse too! Anyway, he was like "so this is all your headphone gear", pointing at my laptop desk with all my gear cluttered around it. Of course I respond, "ya! you wanna hear 'em?" So I hop up and turn on Hendrix - I Don't Live Today, flip my M3, and crank up the volume to my Grado RS2's. He listened for maybe 2 minutes or so and had this focused look on his face the whole time. He takes them off and says, "man, that actually sounds great ... you can totally feel the impact of the drums, its like I'm actually there!"

Muhuhhaha -->> I loved it!
evil_smiley.gif

Then I told him how much everything costs and he porceeded to call me insane...

Anyone else ever convert a layman?

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 25
Yeah, a bit. One of my friends from high school who had the annoying loud car subwoofer listened to my headphones and said "Wow, everything sounds so clear!" Another friend stopped by and was complaining that Evil Empire by Rage is a terrible sounding recording no matter what system he listens to it on. I put the album on for him on my headphones, and after the first 30 seconds his eyebrows shot up and he said it sounded amazing. Yet another friend kept telling me that "headphones just don't sound right" for weeks until he gave mine a listen... 5 minutes later he asked me where he could buy a pair. I've been pretty successful so far
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 25
I'm telling ya, people just don't believe headphones until they hear them. I have a fellow Klipsch-loving friend who isn't convinced headphones are worth it. I'm getting ready to send my headphones and amp to him for a listen. I'm sure I'll blow him away. Especially since he even has a better soundcard than mine and basically the same music.

Aug 14, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
Anyone else ever convert a layman?

The "conversion" usually only lasts until I tell them the pricetag
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
tongue.gif

WORD, even Eggo is too much for lots of people.

Aug 14, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT

So are SR60's but they are soooooooo worth it! People just gotta have an hour, music pumping through those, and they will nmore than likely see hear what they have been missing in their lives
biggrin.gif

Especially if you can have them listen while they're on 'herbal remedies' (snicker)

rs1smile.gif
Abe

Aug 14, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

tongue.gif

so true... people tell me, "you paid 85 bucks for that??" when i tell them how much my ER6i costed. "why do you need an amp for headphones??"

i showed my friend the difference between amped and unamped for his PX-100 (using my mint) and now he wants to build one.

Aug 14, 2005 at 10:21 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

tongue.gif

Haha...

I was leaving my house and this girl picked me up (new chic) but before we left I had to go back to my room to get some smokes. she followed me and seen all the gear and panache. she asked "this stuff looks like its for some kind of stereo and it looks exspensive, may I ask how much it all costs.?"

I looked at her and said " Well first off you can ask but I am not telling you, second I honestly think you dont wanna know and its not important how much it costs its how it does the job it has to do."

the girl "well can I listen?"

me " no, you wouldnt know what you hearing even if you did listen, lets just continue the date and let me forget about audio for a few hours."

Aug 14, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
the girl "well can I listen?"

me " no, you wouldnt know what you hearing even if you did listen, lets just continue the date and let me forget about audio for a few hours."

Ah, reverse psychology! She'll be listening to Grados in the hot tub in no time...
icon10.gif

G

Aug 14, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT

KSC-35's are too much for people at my school...Yet, $60 Sony's (EX71) are not.
tongue.gif

(Yeah, I know several people who have paid $60 for EX71)

Aug 15, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 25
non of my friends get me.. oh well, i didnt expect them to

Aug 23, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 25
I used to bring all my headphones with me to school, which meant I was carrying about 6 or 7 headphones + books and binders and such around in my backpack. All my classmates would accuse me of being an idiot for having so many headphones, and getting all "angry" because I use all of them. Then one of my freinds noticed a pair of vinatge looking headphones in my bag (the GRado SR60's) and wanted to give them a listen. After that, nearly the entire class decided they needed to hear them too. All of them were astonished at the quality of the music. Then, as usual, they asked about the price and continued to accuse me of idiocy. My teacher, however, showed up with a pair of Grado SR-80's the next day, so I must have gotten through to him. I guess my classmates will never have the pleasure of hearing true audio quality.

Oh, and by the way...bump.

Aug 23, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #14 of 25
I was at work today, and the guy next to me kept insisting that the IPod Ear buds were really good. He even made me try them.

To me they sounded hollow, so I told him that, and he responds that it sounds better the deeper in the ear it goes.

So i had some big band jazz playing on my 4 year old mini disc player going through my KSC75. Handed them to him. Within seconds his reaction was focused and a jaw dropped.

Now he's looking everywhere for them.

Canada doesn't really carry them though so he began searching for them.

It was funny how he just dropped all his work and started looking for them.

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R
I used to bring all my headphones with me to school, which meant I was carrying about 6 or 7 headphones + books and binders and such around in my backpack. All my classmates would accuse me of being an idiot for having so many headphones, and getting all "angry" because I use all of them. Then one of my freinds noticed a pair of vinatge looking headphones in my bag (the GRado SR60's) and wanted to give them a listen. After that, nearly the entire class decided they needed to hear them too. All of them were astonished at the quality of the music. Then, as usual, they asked about the price and continued to accuse me of idiocy. My teacher, however, showed up with a pair of Grado SR-80's the next day, so I must have gotten through to him. I guess my classmates will never have the pleasure of hearing true audio quality.

Oh, and by the way...bump.

Why would the class think the SR60 cost too much? I think it's very reasonable! OK, maybe too much for a student budget, but the next time that happens bring a KSC-35/75 and tell them it's only 20 bucks and see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back