Convincing your friends of your headphone hobby?
Aug 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #46 of 70
Well, today's popular music (Billboard listed) are fights between dirty lyrics, loudness and base. There are good ones, but is rarely known outside some particular circle. I guess some of us are getting too old to enjoy them. That aside, I have few friends using Dr. Dre, I can't comment on their quality, but they often commented mine (Apparently, they are looking at price, too, since mine is entry Goldring DR150, naturally it is a bad can for them).
Still, efforts are being made to convert them.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #47 of 70
I find that with Gaga is depends on the album quite a lot, but a few of her collaborations (one in particular with a well-known mixer) have come off really well.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #50 of 70
Quote:
Quote:
Generic pop and rock tends to be very well-produced

I could not disagree with you more

I'd be interested in knowing why you disagree. 
smile.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #51 of 70
It's important to understand the differences between production, mixing, and mastering. A producer "tracks" everything, and in pop music, arranges synths/drum machines. They may apply some FX.

A mixer controls the volume and FX on each individual track.

A mastering engineer puts effects on the entire song.

So yes, pop music is some of the best produced stuff out there. It tends to be mixed well, too. It just gets crushed in mastering.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #52 of 70

Convincing your friends of your headphone hobby?

Why? do you hate your friend so much to make him go broke?

As for me I manage to do the same thing with my friend, only difference is he upgraded to speakers.

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #54 of 70
Haven't convinced any of my friends, they all think I'm nuts having more then $8k worth of equipment in my room, but I did convince my mum into having her own portable setup. She owns the 1964-T's > RSA Predator > My old Ipod.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #56 of 70

Convincing your friends of your headphone hobby?

Why? do you hate your friend so much to make him go broke?

As for me I manage to do the same thing with my friend, only difference is he upgraded to speakers.

Why? Because its totally worth being broke!
Anyway, people do realize that most if not all people start listening to music before becoming an audiophile?
I know some of my music isn't mastered with audiophiles in mind, but I don't care because it sounds good!
People listen to what sounds good to them, but I personally say I now prefer to listening to higher fidelity songs, but however it's mastered or whatever kind of music it is, if you like it that's your choice.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #57 of 70
Me: "So, yeah, these new cans are incredible, you wouldn't believe the bass quality."
Neighbor: "Hmm, really?" *wax* *wax*
Me: "I know they're $2000 but they're completely worth it, their tone is perfectly balanced."
Neighbor: "Don't say?" *buff* *buff*
Me: "and they have amazing imaging and a huge soundstage."
Neighbor: "That right?" *buff* *buff*

The guy puts away the buffing cloth and opens the door to his Saleen S7 TT.

Neighbor: "Still up for a spin?"
Me: "**** yeah."

They don't care, most have their own hobbies they obsess over. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back