Convince me to pull the trigger on the GR07's
Aug 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

supernatural

New Head-Fier
I've been thinking of buying the vsonic GR07 iem for quite a while now, however im very scared of the fact that there may be too much sibilance for me. Im pretty new to the audiophile world, my first decent iems i bought a few months back were also from vsonic the GR02 bass edition iem and even with those bad boys i get sibilance issues so im guessing im on the sensitive side of the spectrum.

the reason im so locked on the gr07 is because of all the amazing feedback ive read on the forums, also because supposidely they go extremely well with metal (90% of my library).

should I not risk it and try to find a similar iem (any recommendations for a metalhead in the ~150$ price range?) or should i pull the trigger and hope to solve the sibilance thing by trying on different tips, because ive read that for some people thats exactly what solved the issue. 

also, i should add that i'd buy the mk2 version which is said to have less sibilance.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 22
I listen to mostly thrash, death (kreator, testament, exodus, slayer, sodom, dark angel , death etc) and some heavy metal (metallica, maiden, megadeth etc), ultimate ears TF 10 suits the genre perfectly imo. In metal, the double pedal drumming which gives a good warm feeling to the ears is better served by a good mid-bass IEM which TF 10 suits the best imo. I heard GR 07 doesnt have a good mid-bass nor good bass in depth and width, and TF 10 has such amazing details in highs which makes the metal riffs sound dead awesome, mids are good too with excellent detailing. I recommend TF 10, it suits my taste of listening completely ampless!

Regarding sibilance, TF 10 has very less and only shows up on very high volumes. I heard my friends GR 07 once, didnt suit me much. Comparing with TF 10, it was like listening to two completely different albums for the same album. I cant exactly say which type of the sound signature might suit you , but I thought my TF 10 beat my friends GR 07 in every aspect as per my musical taste.

Another IEM you can consider is rockit sounds r-50, I liked it on par with GR 07, almost the same signature but the bass quality was good than GR 07, with a good fun punch. I rate it more than GR 07 even it costs 120$, its a monster! Clie-OS said that its identical to VSonic GR 01, so dig up some on GR 01, if you like it, you will like R-50.

I had a westone 3 which I exchanged for TF 10 and I liked TF 10 a LOT better than it, most people had problems with fit of TF 10 , but its just perfect for me, comfort is OK and isolation is too good.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 22
I like the GR07 and never found it had sibilance issues but if your sensitive to this you may want to try something else.

One suggestion for another brand I would make is the MDR-7550 from Sony, this IEM is comfortable and has good bass and mids with treble that never goes over the top. The only thing to consider about it would be it's slightly lower than average isolation and wind issues (if you live somewhere with lots of wind). But otherwise they are pretty well balanced.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 22
I tried out the GR07 for a bit the other day, and I have to say that once you get a good seal, there's no simbilance whatsoever. I felt it was quite comparable to my HD600s, Which do well with pretty much every genre out there.
(I was listening to classic rock)

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 22
For metal the Rockit Sounds R50 or Vsonic GR01 would be great! I now use the Gr01 for rock and metal.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 22
The sibilance issues with GR07 are partly source depended, why we see such a variety of reports.

If you're using a brighter player and have treble EQ'd up it will appear in most vocals, Ssssh, Ttttttt quite easily with most word shaping (it doesn't tend to effect instruments as much) I can run mine through an ipod touch and Fiio E10 with little to no sibilance problems, though my Cowon S9 really pushes out enough to make me cringe at times. Another factor is how much power they're being driven with, if they're not driven sufficiently that will push out sibilance as will low bitrate tracks, though using an amp (especially a warmer one) will completely hide GR07 sibilance rolling it off.

The problem is GR07s tone/timbre. it's how these earphones get that wonderful grind for guitars, unfortunately it's also around the same frequency's sibilance occurs, so it's like a trade off for that wonderful sound making GR07 what we've all come to enjoy. Mine have 350 hours on them and it hasn't gone away completely. Something like TF10 you hear sibilance but it doesn't bite appearing rolled off without being offensive regardless of source.

Should you buy them?

I think so, if you have a decent source and run high bitrates, though TF10 would be just a good a choice if sibilance really bothers you. GRO7 lacks some dynamics and it really shows in rock, metal, thrash. There's a gap missing where body of the song should be, mostly around the mid bass area, though driven properly adding for example EQ1 from an E11 really helps this problem.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
The sibilance issues with GR07 are partly source depended, why we see such a variety of reports.
If you're using a brighter player and have treble EQ'd up it will appear in most vocals, Ssssh, Ttttttt quite easily with most word shaping (it doesn't tend to effect instruments as much) I can run mine through an ipod touch and Fiio E10 with little to no sibilance problems, though my Cowon S9 really pushes out enough to make me cringe at times. Another factor is how much power they're being driven with, if they're not driven sufficiently that will push out sibilance as will low bitrate tracks, though using an amp (especially a warmer one) will completely hide GR07 sibilance rolling it off.
The problem is GR07s tone/timbre. it's how these earphones get that wonderful grind for guitars, unfortunately it's also around the same frequency's sibilance occurs, so it's like a trade off for that wonderful sound making GR07 what we've all come to enjoy. Mine have 350 hours on them and it hasn't gone away completely. Something like TF10 you hear sibilance but it doesn't bite appearing rolled off without being offensive regardless of source.
Should you buy them?
I think so, if you have a decent source and run high bitrates, though TF10 would be just a good a choice if sibilance really bothers you. GRO7 lacks some dynamics and it really shows in rock, metal, thrash. There's a gap missing where body of the song should be, mostly around the mid bass area, though driven properly adding for example EQ1 from an E11 really helps this problem.

I agree with you, except about the dynamics part. It isn't a lack of dynamics in that region, it's just a lack of mid-bass compared to other phones. I found this when comparing to the fi-ba-ss, where I noticed it just had less body. That allows it to sound good, at the very least, at all genres I've listened to it with.

While we're recommending franken-phones, the EX600 would be a better sounding, more comfortable alternative to the TF10.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 22
I agree with you, except about the dynamics part. It isn't a lack of dynamics in that region, it's just a lack of mid-bass compared to other phones. I found this when comparing to the fi-ba-ss, where I noticed it just had less body. That allows it to sound good, at the very least, at all genres I've listened to it with.

While we're recommending franken-phones, the EX600 would be a better sounding, more comfortable alternative to the TF10.

It's strange really. I can run GRO7 through a number of sources without noticing the dynamics problem I mentioned. example E10 / touch. however a player like the Clip+ or S9 I have problems it becomes thin. I was thinking EX600 (damn I wish more people would try them) but the isolation eliminates them as a suggestion for me so I revert to TF10.

Should have a listen to my TF10 with Cowon C2 eke. :wink: Great little player mate.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

The thing I'd be worried about is the treble on the EX600s. Since it is compared to the EX1000 I'd be quite concerned in that regard. The treble on the EX1000 was very offensive to these ears. MDR7550 would be more in line if he is worried about sibilance (treble spikes).

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 22
The thing I'd be worried about is the treble on the EX600s. Since it is compared to the EX1000 I'd be quite concerned in that regard. The treble on the EX1000 was very offensive to these ears. MDR7550 would be more in line if he is worried about sibilance (treble spikes).

The treble on EX600 is tamer then GR07, (i have both here) it's slightly rolled off, and from my research a little more comfortable than EX1000s high end.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
The treble on EX600 is tamer then GR07, (i have both here) it's slightly rolled off, and from my research a little more comfortable than EX1000s high end.

Thing is I much prefer the GR07s treble to the EX1000s. It was super bad on it. The GR07 was mellow in comparison to me. Still could be sibilant but nothing I couldn't live with. Just I found a better alternative with the same sound signature and better treble. Heck even the AKG3003 with treble filters was mellow in comparison :wink:.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 22
Thing is I much prefer the GR07s treble to the EX1000s. It was super bad on it. The GR07 was mellow in comparison to me. Still could be sibilant but nothing I couldn't live with. Just I found better alternative with the same sound signature and better treble.

If anything I could use a touch more extension on EX600s high end. (The low ends covered fine). Something in-between GR07 and TF10 would fit the bill. :smile:

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
If anything I could use a touch more extension on EX600s high end. (The low ends covered fine). Something in-between GR07 and TF10 would fit the bill.
smile.gif

FX700s. You'll get more low end though, more texture and depth to the bass. Can get overpowering if you pump it up though. FX500s are also good but mids are really recessed on them. A good value though. I was considering picking up a pair down the road and doing the filter mod on them with complys. A modder finds them comparable to his LCD2s with that mod. That is saying a lot IMO for such a price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back