Convince Me I Don't Need New Computer Speakers
Jul 20, 2011 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently using Audioengine A2's out of my Xonar Essence STX. I'm pretty happy with the sound of them but I know I can probably do a little better. The problem is I'm extremely limited on space and I can't go with anything much bigger than the A2's. I was looking at the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1's but those are primarily USB based and I have no intention to stop using my soundcard. Are there any other speakers with a footprint as small or smaller than the A2's but that sound good enough to warrant an upgrade?

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 14
Yeah you totally need new speakers. I don't even know which ones, just that you should spend some cash. Right now.

Half-joking: can you go 2.1 instead of staying 2.0? It sounds like your desktop is short on space, but maybe you can cram a sub below?

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 14
No, you don't need new computer speakers.

You need to step up to a decent pair of bookshelf speakers or floorstanders, if you have the room. Run them off an old receiver - you'll be happy. :)

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 14
Well bookshelfs or floorstanders sound nice, but as I mentioned space is limited. My computer desk is against a small section of wall in between two doorways. As far as a 2.1 set up, I've actually been looking at the Swan M50W. The speakers don't look that much bigger than the A2's and I can probably squeeze them on my desk. I would love to get the M200MKII or even the D1080MKII but both of those are just too big.

The drawbacks with the M50W are that I would prefer not to have a subwoofer even though I have room for it under my desk. I'm not that much of a bass person to begin with. I can live with it though. And since my sound card has RCA outs I'll need a 1/8" adapter to connect it to the subwoofer. So right now, I'm giving the M50W some serious consideration.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 14
Never personally heard these, but they're fairly highly regarded and look great.

http://www.scandyna-speakers.com/Products/Minipod.aspx

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the recommendation on the Scandyna. After checking their website I see that they make some great looking speakers. Unfortunately I can't find much in the way of info or reviews for them. They also cost more than I'm willing to spend. In addition to the M50W, I'm also looking at a Cambridge 2.1 system but I've been reading that Cambridge's quality isn't what it used to be. Any truth to that?

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 14
Jul 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 14
HiVi merged with Swan years ago. Since Swans seem to be highly regarded what is it exactly you don't like about HiVi?

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 14
I would guess anything from Cambridge Soundworks would be a noticeable step in the wrong direction from the A2's. YMMV

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 14
I had a set of the original Swan M200 for a while.  They were certainly better than the A2s that I had before them.  I have since moved up to bookshelf speakers with a NAD receiver and my wife is now using the Swans on her desktop rig.  If I were you, I'd either go with the Swans (although I haven't heard that model you posted) or find more space and go the route UE suggested.
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for the input. I actually pulled the trigger on the Swan M50W yesterday. I'll be sure to post some comments when I get them. They seem to be in pretty high demand as some dealers won't have them back in stock until the fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back