Convert ICs to Headphone Cables?
Oct 25, 2011 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jsplice

500+ Head-Fier
I recently picked up a set of HD650s and am curious about aftermarket cables.  However, at this point I think it's a bit ridiculous to spend an amount on a cable that equals the cost of the headphones.  I have a few sets of Kimber interconnects laying around that aren't being used (one set of PBJ, one set of Timbre).  Questions are:

1) Would an interconnect make an ok headphone cable (after the RCA termination is removed of course)

2) Where do you get the little 2-pin connects for the ends of the cable where it connects to the headphones?

Thanks

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 7
Hey! I also listen to HD650s through a PS GCHA! I love the combo!

I've heard of people repurposing microphone cables (4-conductor) as headphone cables, but I haven't heard about interconnects. But since you brought it up, I'm interested in seeing the responses from people who have maybe tried this route.

I agree, aftermarket headphone cable prices are ridiculous.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 7
ICs work fine. Same guage wire just about. With aftermarket cables, you're paying someone to build them, essentially.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:

2) Where do you get the little 2-pin connects for the ends of the cable where it connects to the headphones?

Cardas makes them. Parts Connexion has them, as does Qables, and probably a few others.
http://www.partsconnexion.com/CARDAS-71677.html

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Actually yeah, since Kimber is known to build good cables, I'm sure they'll make really awesome HD650 cables. You just need the Cardas HPSC cables, and your choice of termination at the end. I'm a big fan of the Furutech FP704G, very well made and looks great!

Be sure to get some shrink wrap too so you can clean up the joints between cable and connector and make a really awesome looking cable.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Hey! I also listen to HD650s through a PS GCHA! I love the combo!

It really is an awesome combo.  They supply the HD650s with the juice they need to really sound correct.  Personally, I don't experience any "viel", but that's just me.

The deal on the cardas connectors seems like a fair deal.  It's now just a matter of when I'll work up the motivation to do this.  Most likely during the winter months when cabin fever starts to set in.  I may try it with the PBJs, since they are cheaper cables.  The problem I had with the Kimbers is that they were extremely susceptible to noise and interference.  It very noticeable when using them with my phono preamp.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back