controlling studio monitor volume
Mar 28, 2013 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iammbox

New Head-Fier
I currently have a nuforce icon hd for both my headphones and monitors but I recently purchased an aune t1 (knob only controls the volume for headphones). Ive been reading that if I hooked up the monitors to the aune t1, I would get sound however I wouldn't be able to control the volume. I would have to adjust the volume via the computer or manually on the monitors. My question is, what are my options to be able to control the volume for the monitors and have a DAC too? would something like a nuforce udac 2 help? 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 4
The functionality you are looking for is often found in units that are called "pre-amps." Many DAC/Amp combos and receivers have this functionality built-in, but the Aune T1 you chose does not.

Your options are:

1. Stick with the Aune, and add a separate pre-amp. I don't know if there are cheap stereo pre-amps, so maybe your best bet will be to find the cheapest AV receiver you can . 

2. Get a different unit that consolidates volume controls: e.g. Burson HA-160D, Audiolab M-DAC, Benchmark DAC1/DAC2, etc. If you are looking for something cheaper than these options, many Audio-GD offerings have pre-amp capabilities, as well as the Maverick Audio Tubemagic, but I don't know how well these options perform. 

G'luck!

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back