Continuance of group-buy of TAKE T H2XLR&TR2XLR
Sep 11, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #16 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was it not mentioned in an older thread that the TRS model cannot be used with all types of amplifiers? If true, that alone would make the extra cost of the XLR model worthwhile.

No, it just means that he TRS model can't make the most, or take advantage of, a balanced amp. If you never will get a balanced amp you could save some $$$ and get the TRS model. Then again, what if you do get a balanced amp one day, or want to sell to someone with a balanced amp?

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #17 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it just means that he TRS model can't make the most, or take advantage of, a balanced amp. If you never will get a balanced amp you could save some $$$ and get the TRS model. Then again, what if you do get a balanced amp one day, or want to sell to someone with a balanced amp?

Hmmm...well I found the older thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247812

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tripath is a company that provides chipsets for socalled "digital" switching amps.
Amps based on this technology are well known for driving the hard to drive K1000s decently.Combined ground like the Taket is a no-no, you'd fry the chip this way.Any amp that's suitable for combined ground.No balanced amps, unfortunately.

So tripath based amps would not work..?

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #18 of 195
That's right. Only combined-ground amps can be used with the TRS model. That means Tri-paths and many speaker amps won't work with it. The XLR model can be used with any amp.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #19 of 195
Sorry I don't know about those
smily_headphones1.gif

If the Tripath based amps can't deal with a combined ground then I guess the TRS model will not be useable with a Tripath amp.

I was wrong in my last post then, I take it back!

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #20 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's right. Only combined-ground amps can be used with the TRS model. That means Tri-paths and many speaker amps won't work with it. The XLR model can be used with any amp.

How would we know which amps can and which can't? Is it just Tripath based amps? I guess we would ask the manufacturers.

You would want to be careful then, I would have plugged my RB-991 into the TR2 speaker inputs even if the TR2 output was combined ground. I wonder if that would have been bad for the RB-991?

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #21 of 195
Quote:

How would we know which amps can and which can't? Is it just Tripath based amps? I guess we would ask the manufacturers.

You would want to be careful then, I would have plugged my RB-991 into the TR2 speaker inputs even if the TR2 output was combined ground. I wonder if that would have been bad for the RB-991?

I could be wrong, but I believe the RB-991 is a Class A amplifier...tripath based amps would fall under the Class D category.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #22 of 195
Quote:

Unless the amp is advertised as balanced, dual-mono or Tripath, the safest assumption is that it's combined-ground. Check the specs or ask the manufacturer to be sure.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #23 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could be wrong, but I believe the RB-991 is a Class A amplifier...tripath based amps would fall under the Class D category.

Ah yes that makes sense. So Tripath is commonly called a digital amp?

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #25 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely plan on buying one! But what is TRS, and is it possible to buy the H2 without the TR2? I'm interested in building my own transformer.

TRS is a standard 1/4" phono jack. TRS is for 'Tip', 'Ring' and 'Sleeve', the three seperated connections on stereo phono plugs.

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 195
Quote:

Ah yes that makes sense. So Tripath is commonly called a digital amp?

Yes, it is often referred to as a "digital amplifier" (although it really isn't a fully digital amplifier, not in the purest sense at least).

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #27 of 195
can we get three things please

final specs on each of these units

price in US Dollars

pictures frim the manufacter of each of the units and the recomended amp requirements for each unit

after this my headphone arsenal may all be speaker amp compliant
blink.gif

oh and an estimated date of shipment after we make payment

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #28 of 195
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but payment must be made in Yen, so it's best to keep the official prices in that currency. If you're paying by PayPal or Moneybookers, the conversion is automatically made.

The first few posts have US$ equivalents, but keep in mind that the exchange rate fluctuates.

Regarding amplification: generally speaking, if your amp can put out 8 Watts per channel into 16ohms, it should be able to power the TR2/H2 combo. Another way of putting it is 10Vpeak-peak and 0.8A into 16ohms.

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #29 of 195
Thank you Mr Takei and to Serk as well for setting this up. I have already sent payment and now eagerly await more sonic bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back