Contact lenses
Sep 14, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #16 of 51
I'm going to answer a question no one has asked yet.

Assuming you are near-sighted, then at about 40 years old you
have a surprise coming for you, that you might want to think about.
And really no matter what your perscription is, your range of focus
is going to start limiting itself. So with contacts, one choice may
be to have one eye set for close and another eye for far. Or get
the bi-focal contacts.

Both of these options seriously stink. Especially the bi-focal contacts
which in limited light puts halo's on just about any light source and
stars around traffic lights.

Then you may have to go back to glasses and get bi-focals, tri-focals,
or graded glasses. Guess what, these stink too.

If you get any of the kind of eye surgerys early in life, and then things
change as they will certainly do, you are now really in trouble.

I don't wear contacts or glasses anymore. My right eye is now legal
for driving, and thats really all i care about.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #18 of 51
Well, I scheduled an appointment on October 7th, 2005 at Pearle Vision in West Orange, NJ. They carry the Bausch & Lomb PureVision contact lenses, but quantities are very limited. I am going to do this. I have two GA eyeglasses and I will donate one very old pair to my local church while keeping my existing pair as a backup option. I may even update the prescription for both my eyeglasses and my new contact lenses at the same time if my budget permits. Thanks. I used contact lenses before, but that was a very long time ago. I kind of want to stay away from eyeglasses as I don't look my best with them.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #19 of 51
1. When they're fresh and clean, contact lenses give me far superior image quality versus glassess. My glasses are small, thin "featherweights" which are even worse. With glasses I have to deal with:
- Geometric distortions, especially at the corners of the lens.
- Chromatic aberrations (color fringing; again worse as you move towards the edge of the lens)
- Relections (clouds the image a bit)
- Surface defects (scratches, dust, oils - these can also cloud the image)
- Objects look slightly smaller and further away than with contacts
With contacts everything is aces if they're fresh and clean. Unfortunately that's hard to maintain. I have 2-week disposables (not worn overnight) and even after the first week their performance is less than I'd like. By the end of 2 weeks, near the end of the day they're fairly uncomforatable and hard to see through - depending on how dry and gunked up they are at the moment. Lens rewetting drops work well, for like 15 mionutes
tongue.gif
I've been meaning to get up off my ass and get the daily disposables - I think those are probably the way to go.

2. No, not even close. I've had the same pair of glasses for over 3 years. They still work fine. A 3 year supply of even 2-week disposables will cost much more than that. Still, I think it's worth it - I hate how I look with glasses, and being a little bit of a videophile I really enjoy seeing with a fresh pair. I'm even willing to pay more for the daily disposables, once I get around to it.

Sorry, that's all I had to say on contacts
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 51
I belive those Bausch lenses are its new silicon-based lens. I recently spoke to my optometrist about them.

Right now, I ear Accuvue Advance, which is also silicon-based. So, same type of product, different brand.

These lenses take a little bit longer to get used to, I've heard, but I am able to wear them a lot longer than I was ever able to wear plastic lenses. Of course, they're more expensive.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #21 of 51
Mom had brought that up, about the need for bifocal glasses or contacts. She has contacts for both because she couldn't get used to bifocals. Neither could I.

As for dry eyes, she suffers from it as do I. According to her, being the contact lense "expert" she says you need to keep eye drops with you. Of course you should be doing that anyway, but that's what's worked for her.

I asked her about the accuview hydroclears and she said they moved around way too much on the eye and wouldn't stay put no matter what. I guess this is why there are different brands.
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #22 of 51
I find that 02 Optics lenses are very easy to wear, and easy to put in. It is also a silicon based lens.

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
1. If you have worn eyeglasses, then did you find using contact lenses to improve your visual acuity for better or worse depending upon your usage?

2. Did you save money by going with contact lenses?

3. Do you find the cleaning and replacement of contact lenses to be difficult or annoying?

4. there are advertisements for contact lenses that claim to improve your eyesight to 20/10 vision without the different types of lasik eye laser corrective surgery: is it true and who makes such contact lenses?

5. Where can I get objective and accurate medical information about contact lenses on the Internet?

6. Where do you shop for your contact lenses? Did you find it difficult to convince your opthamologist or optermist to give you the written contact lenses prescription so you could shop around?

7. Does it make any difference to use one manufacturer's contact lenses and another's contact lenses cleansing solution?

i have myopia also but its 3.75.
1.It improved my vision just like glasses.
2.it comes out to roughly the same price if you shop around.($110 per year) Current laws state that a prescription for contact lenses only last a year. So buy in bulk if you dont think your vision will change!
3. depending on what type lenses you buy you might not have to clean them at all or you can just rinse them with cleaning fluid.
4.Unless you have extreme myopia, you probably will achieve 20/20 vision.
6.coastalcontacts.com is a great site. Most states require the optamologist to give you a prescription to shop around.
7. no it doesnt.

Sep 15, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I asked her about the accuview hydroclears and she said they moved around way too much on the eye and wouldn't stay put no matter what. I guess this is why there are different brands.
biggrin.gif

This sounds more like her optometrist did not prescribe her the right size to me. They should all be the same no matter what kind of brand when it comes to fit. That is a size problem.

Welly, I think I saw the PureVisions at my Costco next to the Acuvue brands. they were a little more expensive per box though.

What made you choose the PureVisions over the Acuvues? Seemingly they are the same type (silicon) so they should be similar. Also the Acuvues have UVA/UVB protection and I see no indication that the PureVisions do. The Acuvues also have a 90-day satisfaction guarantee so you can return them for any reason. If you live near a Costco you can get a year's supply of Advances for $90 after rebates. You can get Acuvue 2's for around $60 after rebates!

Not trying to push the Acuvues on you, just curious.

Sep 15, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #25 of 51
I have a relatively high prescription (~-9.25 diopters) per eye, with a degree of astigmatism. With the astigmatism, I have to use toric lenses, which, although nice and quite comfortable, can be quite expensive. Right now I am using monthly disposables, which work out to $200 CAD for 6 pairs. Personally I feel my night vision suffers a little when wearing contacts, but I find that it has been getting better the more and more I wear them (I only recently switched from glasses to contacts about 2 months ago).

That being said, I love being able to walk in the rain and not having to worry about getting water on my glasses, or have them fog up when I walk indoors. The cleaning of contacts is not a problem at all with today's no rub solution formulas, and I find that extended wear is easily alleviated by moisturizing drops.

Sep 15, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #27 of 51
I've been using contacts for about 5 years and loving them. I hate glasses with a passion. For one, my prescription is so high, that when I use glasses, it has a demagnifying effect, making everything appear smaller. Also, when not looking through the exact centre of the lenses, and looking at a straight line or object, it appears to bend. Another pet peeve is that I sometimes get a rainbow effect, where I see random streaky hues of blue, green, or orange. And of course the worst is that glasses interfere somewhat with headphones.
biggrin.gif

Contacts I love because everything is normal size, no bending straight objects, no weird random colours.

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #28 of 51
I've worn eyeglasses since the 3rd grade. I tried contact lenses in high school and college, but it was just too painful. My eyes are too sensitive.

Here are a few things you will notice, vision wise.

You will definitely notivce that you have improved periphial vision. With glasses it's like you're looking at life through a viewfinder, but with contacts, it's all in focus.

However, depending on the type of contacts you get, I did notice that the lense shifts when blinking, causes weird vision distortion for a second. It's like running around and having your glasses bounce up and down.

Other than that, it really comes down to comfort. I couldn't stand wearing contacts, my eyes are very sensitive, so I kept using glasses, and still do today.

I am going to have laser eye surgery someday, but I'm waiting for the right technique that interests me.

-Ed

Sep 15, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #29 of 51
According to Cole Managed Vision, I must go to an in-network optomerist or opthamologist and I also must get my first pair of contact lenses from the same physician. I also must return within 1 - 2 weeks to ensure that they fit correctly.

I thought about the Acuvue Advance with Hydraclear or the Acuvue Oasys contact lenses, but I think that the Bausch & Lomb offer better color contrast and greater visual clarity. UVA/UVB is something that I am interested in as well so I won't eliminate them completely. Thanks for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back