Contact lenses
Sep 16, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #31 of 51
I'm confident that the Accuvue and Bausch & Lomb will be identical in these repspects. It sounds like you're quoting B&L's marketing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
According to Cole Managed Vision, I must go to an in-network optomerist or opthamologist and I also must get my first pair of contact lenses from the same physician. I also must return within 1 - 2 weeks to ensure that they fit correctly.

I thought about the Acuvue Advance with Hydraclear or the Acuvue Oasys contact lenses, but I think that the Bausch & Lomb offer better color contrast and greater visual clarity. UVA/UVB is something that I am interested in as well so I won't eliminate them completely. Thanks for the tips.

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #32 of 51
I decided to go with the Acuvue Advance with Hydraclear contact lenses. According to the stipulations of Cole Managed Vision, I must have an annual eye examination by an opthamologist and I must purchase my first pair of contact lenses from the same physician. So, I have to pay $10 USD for the exam and I get a special discounted price for my first pair of Acuvue Advance with Hydraclear. Thereafter, I have to return to Pearle Vision to ensure that the contact lenses fit right in about a week or two later.

My question is simple: I know that I can get the prescription released to me, but how long of a supply should I purchase? Should I just go with a one month supply and shop online for Internet companies that sell discounted contact lenses for the remainder of this year? Can I even do this? If I do this, then am I obligated to buy a certain quantity from these Internet websites?

Oct 3, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #33 of 51
You can obtain a prescription from Walmart's Vision Center for a much lower fee than usual and not be obligated to purchase anything from them (although their prices are usually among the lowest to be found).

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #34 of 51
Just make sure that if you go to an outside source for your lenses, that they can fully fullfill your perscription. For instance, I use B&L Purevision torics. Assuming that 1800contacts had Purevision torics (they don't), they have only one base curve. My eyes have different base curves, one is 8.70, the other is 8.60. At 1800contacts you can't change that. An eye doctor? They can.

I just used 1800contacts as an example there. Be sure that the "less expensive" source can fully fill out your perscritption to the letter.

Oct 3, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #35 of 51
If you're having distortion problems with normal glasses, it could very well be just the lens, or a combo of the lens with the curvature of your frame. I find that eyeglass lenses and/or frames are akin to trying on a pair of shoes...when a certain shoe fits you perfectly, you just know it. But if it doesn't, you can try to become accustomed to it, but it may never feel perfect.

I've gone through a few pairs of glasses in my lifetime, but my eyesight has not changed for the past 6 years or so (very surprising given the amount of time I spend reading/computing). Just recently, I bought a pair of Oakley Chop Tops, which is a normal RX frame that has a slight curve to the frame. I decided to prescribe them with Oakley lenses just to see if their RX clear lenses would be anything particularly special, having had very good experiences with my prescriptioned Oakley Juliets, but to my surprise, they're pretty horrible. I find things distorting quite badly towards the edge of the lenses, enough to give me a headache. Decided to try a different frame, this time the Oakley Thread 2.0 which has a flatter profile (yeah I like Oakleys if you can't tell), and had the lenses done at Walmart. Put them on and...AAAHhhhhhhhhhhhh...fit my eyes like a glove. As a plus the A/R coating seems much tougher than anything I've had in the past. Kinda surprising that Walmart actually makes such good lenses. My Chop Tops are now just sitting in the closet...I'm debating having Walmart turn them into Transitions.

I've kinda tossed around the idea of getting contacts, but the one thing I do like about having glasses is that they act as a shield of sorts for my eyes. And I have had a few incidents where my glasses were the only thing that prevented my eyes from getting poked out...one in particular that involved an airsoft gun BB flying right back towards my eye. If it weren't for my glasses, it would've been a sure hit in the eye.
eek.gif

Oh, and one other thing. If you use eyeglasses, do yourself a huge favor and pick up some Crizal cleaning cloths. Absolutely the best cleaning cloths I've tried...they clean well, don't scratch, and most importantly, just simply do not leave smears, unlike so many other cleaning cloths I've tried.

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #36 of 51
I'd like to add that it's thanks to this thread, mom's advice that I'm wearing contacts right now. They're a b*tch to put in, but once in I can see in a way that I couldn't with glasses, that full field of vision is something you just can't describe.

Speaking of Oakleys, got some Whiskers right here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #38 of 51
I know head-fiers are usually experts in everything, but for an eye-exam, unless you plan to get a degree for it, you'll need to actually go to an eye doctor for that. Check out the site I quoted above for more information about that kind of stuff.
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #39 of 51
Welly,

I believe you can get the Accuvue's in 6 or 12 lens boxes. I would get the six lens boxes, which will last you 3-6 months, depending on how often you're instructed to swap lenses. My experience is that I cannot use the Accuvue's too much beyond the two weeks. Once you are comfortable that you like them, you can shop around and get the best price.

Oct 3, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
4. there are advertisements for contact lenses that claim to improve your eyesight to 20/10 vision without the different types of lasik eye laser corrective surgery: is it true and who makes such contact lenses?

This technique is called ortho-k (orthokeratology). It works by using specially shaped RGP (rigid gas permeable) lenses to shape your cornea, and the lenses are worn while you sleep so you can ideally have good enough vision during waking hours to go without glasses. The effects the lenses have on your cornea is temporary and will lose their effects if you do not keep wearing the lenses. This technique isn't really viable for people with really high myopia.

Oct 3, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #41 of 51
contacts are quite honestly the best thing ever. I used to have glasses, but I'm an active person who likes headphones, hats and wearing funky sunglasses. Contacts you put in and forget, I would reccommend to ANYONE to at least try them out. I actually had to do blinking excercises after I first got them because I wasn't blinking enough/correctly to keep them moist. (Yes, blinking excercise) But since then it's been 6+ years of lubricated awesomeness

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #42 of 51
^ Totally agree. Previously I was considering Lasik, but I don't find using contact lenses to be that much of a hassle. Plus I want to wait until Lasik technology becomes more refined and observe long term effects to be sure that it won't cause problems in the future or any terrible side effects. Contact lens technology has improved so much in recent years in terms of comfort and wearability that I cannot say enough good things about them.

And wearing glasses was throwing salt in my game.
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
contacts are quite honestly the best thing ever. I used to have glasses, but I'm an active person who likes headphones, hats and wearing funky sunglasses. Contacts you put in and forget, I would reccommend to ANYONE to at least try them out. I actually had to do blinking excercises after I first got them because I wasn't blinking enough/correctly to keep them moist. (Yes, blinking excercise) But since then it's been 6+ years of lubricated awesomeness

Yeah yesterday I got annoyed at how much tearing up I was doing, and blotted my eyes with a paper towel. Stupid, stupid, stupid - I spent the rest of the day feeling like I had something sitting on top of my pupils.
wink.gif
Today I just let my eyes do their thing, and it all evened at like it's supposed to.

But I think you can tell who's wearing contacts by putting a group of people in a room full of ceiling fans, and see who starts blinking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #44 of 51
I just came home from Pearle Vision. The whole thing cost $95 USD for a 3 month supply of OcuLenses or a brand name like that. I have slightly different prescriptions for my left and right eyes. I am getting 2 week disposable soft contact lenses and I bought 2 boxes with 6 lenses for each eye. Thereafter, I am shopping online only. I also got Bausch & Lomb ReNu cleaning fluids and a rewetter. The difference between wearing glasses and soft contact lenses is pretty startling. I have a natural field of vision now. I can do things without having to put on or take off my eyeglasses. My optometrist is still giving me a prescription for my eyeglasses since they are about 2.5 years old. I may update my
eyeglasses prescription next month. Everything looks so much sharper and more defined. It's a relief not to have to wear eyeglasses just to see.

I donated my old pair of Giorgio Armani eyeglasses and some Oakley sunglasses to Pearle Vision for those who are much less fortunate than me. I hardly use them anyway so why not give them to someone who needs them but can't afford new eyeglasses? I feel better about me already.

Contact lenses rule...so far.

Oct 7, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #45 of 51
Congratulations! Welcome to Team Contacts.
tongue.gif

I agree. Eyeglasses have a veil that mask the treble.
lambda.gif

And you were able to put them in on the first day. I wasn't able to do that. I think I received the same first time contact lens wearer starter kit by Bausch & Lomb. I have not needed to use the wetting drops ever. I guess my eyes adjust to contacts very well.

That was a nice gesture donating your old pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back