contact enhancement treatments
Jun 20, 2008 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tcp56

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone use a contact enhancement treatment on their audio systems?
looking at something to use on tubes....maybe the walker audio sst treatment.
any input?

Tom

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put on a little DeoxIT Gold after I use DeoxIT to clean contacts on cables and jacks.

x2

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 19
what about going beyond Deoxit. maybe not worth the extra expence and trouble of using something you paint on and burn in like the Walker Audio stuff. I never got in the habit of using my CD treatment stuff that I bought simply because the results weren't that clear.

Tom

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

I put on a little DeoxIT Gold after I use DeoxIT to clean contacts on cables and jacks.

x3. I'm not too sure if it helps sound in any way and I doubt it, except it may help with noise and hum on tubes if they are dirty or oxidized.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Same here.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The US Airforce and Navy use stuff that's better than DeoxIT.

do you know where can we buy it?

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 19
You can buy it directly from DeoxIT that way you can check out all of their related products. For example, I didn't know that this stuff came in different strengths, that some of it was for "flushing" purposes, that others dried/evaporated immediately, and so on. Most retailers just carry the little two-pack of minis or the slightly larger spray cans of the DeoxIT and DeoxIT Gold. It even comes in wipies!
darthsmile.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 19
so just wondering, is this one of those 'just so you know you are giving your equipment the best chance' solutions?? or do you think that something better than deoxIT will give a noticeable difference?? If its the former, thats totally understandable; I have numbers of upgrades to my rig that are really just for peace of mind. and if its the latter; where do I get some?? I understand that oxidization can and will cause signal degradation, and probably these treatments are of better use with components that have silver contacts?? eichmann silver bullets for example; they have a protective anti-oxidization coating, but I imagine it wears off over time, leaving the silver prone to oxidization. would this be the most appropriate use of these solutions?? because everything else I have is gold plated so it is immune to that enemy of SQ

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 19
Yeah people should explain why they would put this stuff on rca jacks and connectors.

My gold and nickel cable connectors stand up to oxidation pretty well
tongue.gif

If the jacks / connectors are worn then there is no substitution for new ones.

Silver connectors are a pretty stupid idea if you ask me. I'd be interested to know just how much silver is in them as well.
If you wanted to remove the tarnish (it isn't oxidation) then silver polish and some elbow grease would be what you want.
Unless you see a black mess on them you wouldn't have anything to worry about anyway.

Pure silver is immune to oxidation as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so just wondering, is this one of those 'just so you know you are giving your equipment the best chance' solutions?? or do you think that something better than deoxIT will give a noticeable difference?? If its the former, thats totally understandable; I have numbers of upgrades to my rig that are really just for peace of mind. and if its the latter; where do I get some?? I understand that oxidization can and will cause signal degradation, and probably these treatments are of better use with components that have silver contacts?? eichmann silver bullets for example; they have a protective anti-oxidization coating, but I imagine it wears off over time, leaving the silver prone to oxidization. would this be the most appropriate use of these solutions?? because everything else I have is gold plated so it is immune to that enemy of SQ

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah people should explain why they would put this stuff on rca jacks and connectors.

My gold and nickel cable connectors stand up to oxidation pretty well
tongue.gif

If the jacks / connectors are worn then there is no substitution for new ones.

Silver connectors are a pretty stupid idea if you ask me. I'd be interested to know just how much silver is in them as well.
If you wanted to remove the tarnish (it isn't oxidation) then silver polish and some elbow grease would be what you want.
Unless you see a black mess on them you wouldn't have anything to worry about anyway.

Pure silver is immune to oxidation as well.

huh is it?? well i'm set then because to answer your question eichmann silver bullets are solid PURE 4N 99.99% silver; thats how much silver is in them. and actually why is it a stoopid idea. its far more conductive than copper or gold and if its immune to oxidization as well, then its the perfect metal for the job. and actually silver oxide is caused by .......... oxidization funnily enough and is just as conductive as silver. just a cosmetic problem really, but I suppose it makes the surface rougher and less effective at transmitting the signal. copper oxide on the other hand is the enemy of contact. OH and BTW what purpose does it serve to correct my use of a verb over a noun?? satisfying is it??

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 19
Just to add my experience having used Walker SST, DeoxIt and some others over the years.
In short I do recommend DeoxIt but cannot testify to having heard any improvement in sound. But it makes me feel better that all is clean and shiny
biggrin.gif

Walker Audio SST and all the other magic fluids are to be left on the connectors and can be a real mess to get rid of. Just imagine the inside of RCA connectors... I believe (!) to have heard some improvement, but hated the stuff after some weeks - it turned progressively dark (oxidation?) and was a mess to get rid of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back